What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh. I looked at Poppet but put it back because I must have seen it was a follow-on. I must try these then. Yes I think British writers do creepy better. Adam Nevill's stuff is insidious. Try The Ritual (I remember the first half really got under my skin) and Apartment 16 (might be wrong number there but you'll find it). I have his new one about a haunted house full of spooky antique dolls but am saving that for Christmas reading. He's strictly spook where as S J Bolton is creepy-thriller-crime as you say!

I've not read Joe Hill's new one. I liked his others though and writes very much like his Dad. Recently finished Doctor Sleep by King and loved that and was prepared to be disappointed but was pleasantly surprised.

I've read all of King except for the last two. I couldn't get excited about them, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, too.

Thanks for the recommendations, Fata. Happy reading!
 
I could NEVER fornicate with a man who doesn't read.

john-waters-quote-we-need-to-make-books-cool-again.jpg
 
I'm reading Evidence and Inquiry by Susan Haack and also The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer.

I'm in the process of acquiring digital versions of all of my old books and moving the hard copies to storage.
 
Finished, A Dance With Dragons, and am reading assorted dregs of zombie novels, and knitting books.
 
Last edited:
...I'm just about to start The White Hotel by D M Thomas because Mariella Frostrup has been singing it's praises.

It was very good. Odd in an interesting way.

I'm working my way through Julian Barnes early stuff.
 
It was very good. Odd in an interesting way.

I'm working my way through Julian Barnes early stuff.

Read an odd little debut by Donal Ryan called The Spinning Heart, set in Ireland, you might like. And my next one is a famine tale called The Naming of Eliza Quinn. Had excellent reviews and looks suitably bleak.
 
Don't even know what that is! You can tell me here instead. :)

Blood Lance, by Jeri Westerson.

It's not very good and doesn't get the Savage Seal of Approval.


I just finished the "Zones of Thought" series by Vernor Vinge and I can't recommend them highly enough. Excellent books.
 
Last edited:
I'm reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. In the middle of Midnight Tides right now.
 
Fitzroy Maclean: Eastern Approaches - a wandering diplomat breaking the rules exploring Communist USSR before WW2; followed by raids in the Western Desert with the original SAS; and fighting Nazis in Yugoslavia with Tito.

Thomas Love Peacock: Headlong Hall - an early 19th Century satirical novel making fun of one-trick ponies who know everything about their subject and nothing at all about life.
 
I'm reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. In the middle of Midnight Tides right now.

Only another 7000 pages to go, then! Best fantasy series I've read in decades.

I'm presently on book two of Daniel Abraham's Long Price quartet.
 
At the urging of my stepdaughter - who has never read them; she was a bit young when they first came out - we are reading the Harry Potter series together. I bought the first one at a thrift store today.

God help me. :D
 
Only another 7000 pages to go, then! Best fantasy series I've read in decades.

I'm presently on book two of Daniel Abraham's Long Price quartet.

You know, 7000 doesn't seem like enough. This is quite good. I'd like to write half as well.
 
You know, 7000 doesn't seem like enough. This is quite good. I'd like to write half as well.

After you're done with Erikson's main sequence stuff you can have a crack at Ian Cameron Esslemont's stuff set in the same world. Not as good but entertaining all the same.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top