Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_p7bat3OzmU1r83swio1_540.jpg

I can't post pix from my tablet, alas, so I'll rely on words. We were in shit shape tonight so we broke into an emergency pack of pulled pork BBQ, nuked the good Guatemalan beans and German potato salad I'd recently prepped, popped a couple of Saint Archer ales (weak fairy piss, don't bother), and didn't talk about our butts. A good evening.

Anthony Bourdain

NYC

Snack Attack! Shake Shack Upper East Side NYC

Breakfast- Upper West Side Jewish deli Barney Greengrass

Pasta-Marea Central Park South

Crave-Mission Chinese East Broadway

What did he eat, in Queens ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ite-food-upper-east-side-queens-a8400806.html

In the Parts Unknown episode, Bourdain remarked that Queens was a perfect lesson for the rest of the nation on the importance of diversity.

"Queens, I hope, is an argument for the founders’ original intent, a place where America still offers the world something of inestimable value: hope. And in return, receives so much,” Bourdain said.

http://time.com/5306228/anthony-bourdain-curiosity-queens/

Yummy treats from Tibet

Lhasa Fast Food

(Nice place in Harvard Square, too.)

and many enjoyable, delicious, international meals in Queens

I hope that the wealthy people do not ruin all of the fun in NY

RIP

:rose:

I do not remember a listing for a Post WWI Dada cookbook. Someone made a short film about it, and WGBH aired it. Yes, with recipes. Not all of the recipes consisted of something that you could eat. The film is kind enough to point out that Dada art gave people an outlet, to express how it felt to be in a world, where all traditional, tranquil, regimented order had been upended.

ARTISTS' & WRITERS' COOKBOOK. Introduction by Alice B. Toklas

Published in 1961 by Contact Editions in Sausalito

Surrealists film of Man Ray's Post WWI Dada kitchen recipes

Man Ray’s “Menu for a Dadaist Day”

Le Petit Dejeuner. Take a wooden panel of an inch or less thickness, 16 to 20 inches in size. Gather the brightly colored wooden blocks left by children on the floors of playrooms and paste or screw them on the panel.

Déjeuner. Take the olives and juice from one large jar of prepared green or black olives and throw them away. In the empty olive jar place several steel ball bearings. Fill the jar with machine oil to prevent rusting. With this delicacy serve a loaf of French bread, 30 inches in length, painted a pale blue.

Dîner. Gather wooden darning eggs, one per person. If the variety without handles cannot be found, remove the handles. Pierce lengthwise so that skewers can be inserted in each darning egg. Lay the skewered eggs in an oblong or oval pan and cover with transparent cellophane.

Man cannot live for very long, on art, alone-

“JoyousJokerReveller” is how Marcel Duchamp, father of Dadaism, described his brother in art, Man Ray, an expatriate Philadelphian living in Paris who dreamed up floating lips and nail studded irons and made startling experiments with photography.

Though he shared a Dada recipe with _Vogue’_s food writer Ninette Lyon in 1965 (remove olives from a jar and replace them with steel ball bearings), in truth, this impish artist’s quotidian tastes tended toward the homey—and edible. “Personally, I seek the subtle flavor, the perfumed taste—China tea served à la dry Martini, with simply a zest of lemon,” he told Lyon. “Sometimes I imagine sublime deserts, such as profiteroles covered with tangerine cream and topped with bitter chocolate.” Here, the recipes to realize Man Ray’s sweet musings—plus a main course and a side.

https://www.vogue.com/article/haute-cuisine-man-ray-recipes-vogue

1965, I was fascinated with the images in Vogue. I was happy to find that my local library kept copies going many years, back.

Of a matter of course, more reason for Dada art-

After fighting and surviving the Great War, recovering, and returning home to America-1919 The massacre of minority soldiers that had served in WWI, occurred in America- The Great War (PBS)

But, service during WWI, feeds the idea of liberation and equality

Man Ray’s Tangerine Cream
1 cup milk
2 tangerines
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup flour, sifted

Place the milk and rind of one tangerine in a saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil on a low flame. Remove tangerine rind. In a bowl beat the yolks and sugar until nearly white and thick. Add the flour, little by little, and the hot milk alternately, stirring briskly. Replace the mixture on a very low fire and stir until it boils and thickens. The flour prevents eggs from curdling. Add the juice of the two tangerines and pass through a fine strainer. Stir the cream frequently while it cools to prevent skin from forming on the surface, or add a little cream.

https://www.vogue.com/article/haute-cuisine-man-ray-recipes-vogue

413946508.jpg

Ernie Hemingway ate here, and so did I.

Did you have a nice trip?

Inspired by the sandwich thread, made with leftovers from yesterday’s concert spread. Brie, blueberry and honey pannins.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Did you have a nice trip?

Inspired by the sandwich thread, made with leftovers from yesterday’s concert spread. Brie, blueberry and honey pannins.

I did.

And have returned to the world of mediocre breads and no pain au chocolat for breakfast.

I did.

And have returned to the world of mediocre breads and no pain au chocolat for breakfast.

I can find pain au chocolat here at my local Vietnamese, French bakery, but it is just not the same. Glad you guys enjoyed the trip.

I love to watch Cooking with Alia and get dibs on her recipes.

Made some delicious Chicken Mchermel.

Recipe found here: https://www.cookingwithalia.com/409-chicken-tagine-mchermel/

Be sure to use preserved lemons (found at some grocery stores) or just extra lemon juice. Don't use fresh lemons!

I need a proper tagine stove. That looks amazing.

Also, because I was in Paris, I had to have some Ratatouille.

In all the times I have been there, I’ve never had ratatouille. I’ve also never seen the Mona Lisa in person.

I can find pain au chocolat here at my local Vietnamese, French bakery, but it is just not the same. Glad you guys enjoyed the trip.

I need a proper tagine stove. That looks amazing.

In all the times I have been there, I’ve never had ratatouille. I’ve also never seen the Mona Lisa in person.

I have one, but I mainly use the copper square pan. A sturdy Dutch oven would work just fine.

I have one, but I mainly use the copper square pan. A sturdy Dutch oven would work just fine.

I don’t have a Dutch often either, but I do have multiple copper pots. I’m going to give it a shot. I think it will go over well with the entire family. Did you serve it with basmati rice?

I don’t have a Dutch often either, but I do have multiple copper pots. I’m going to give it a shot. I think it will go over well with the entire family. Did you serve it with basmati rice?

You can use rice or couscous, but I did it the old fashioned North African way of dipping the pita bread in the stew and scooping it up.

A copper pot with a cover will be fine. It's so good!

There was a pain au chocolat in the case at Kaladi's this morning. It was my breakfast. I ate it, but it wasn't great. Memorable only because I won't bother to ever get one again from that case.

I did not stand in the line to see Mona Lisa. I was not happy at the Louvre. Too many people. Too many rude people. Too many people letting their children smear their grubby hands on works of art. Perhaps if I go back to Paris at another time of the year, when the masses are not on vacation, I might enjoy the Louvre.

No dutch oven?

How do you make ossobuco?

There was a pain au chocolat in the case at Kaladi's this morning. It was my breakfast. I ate it, but it wasn't great. Memorable only because I won't bother to ever get one again from that case.

I did not stand in the line to see Mona Lisa. I was not happy at the Louvre. Too many people. Too many rude people. Too many people letting their children smear their grubby hands on works of art. Perhaps if I go back to Paris at another time of the year, when the masses are not on vacation, I might enjoy the Louvre.

I should see if middle munchkin has any interest in trying to make them. She made an amazing cheesecake for the fella’s birthday.

I would have bitten my tongue off had I seen children or anyone touching the art work. I’ve generally been there in the fall and hung out by the jewelry, statues and Nepoleon’s rooms.

No dutch oven?

How do you make ossobuco?

I have a set of Magnalite Professional cookware we received as a wedding gift. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back