Editor recommendations

The thing with the VE is its just that volunteer so I guess you get your money's worth.

The system has a lot of issues just in its design. How do we know the people are not going to steal our stories(ala Miss Turner?) or when they don't respond how much time do we give them? How do we know they are even still active?

A report function to tell the site the editor did not respond or did not do a good job in a timely manner could work, but....it would be abused. Someone edits a story the writer is temper mental, gets pissed hits the button...

As proven recently I am no fan of how this site is run, but....I am not sure what they could do about something set up as pretty much an honor system. And coming here....the majority of authors do not come to the boards.

So I think it falls under it is what it is.

As for vetting, this is the internet, give me some time and I'll be anything you want me to be and could provide "proof"

Why would I want Lynn to vet me? She's the forum moderator, not the owner who is also the story site editor. You know, the owner/editor whom you constantly run down on the threads. If I was going to get vetted, I would go through Laurel.

I've edited 40+ stories on Lit and an erotica novel. I defend the VE program because of writers like you who constantly complain that it sucks and is entirely broken. It isn't "broken." It just isn't perfect, and probably never will be because this is a free site. As I've mentioned repeatedly, I had to disable my VE profile because I couldn't handle all the requests from authors. So, no, the VE program isn't broken. It just isn't perfect.

It's not the person who receives the vetting--it's the reception of the information vetted.

But it's true that those seeking editorial help here have the responsibility to decide for themselves who to believe. It's their baby to hand over to someone else.

It always amuses me to see an author defend the editing of their "editor." The only one who could tell a good edit from a not so bad one would be a trained editor.

The bottom line of the VE program is that all you have to do to be a VE is to sign up. As long as writers looking for help understand that's what they get from the program, assuming that they get responses at all from a program as messed up as it is now . . .

It always amuses me to see an author defend the editing of their "editor." The only one who could tell a good edit from a not so bad one would be a trained editor.

The bottom line of the VE program is that all you have to do to be a VE is to sign up. As long as writers looking for help understand that's what they get from the program, assuming that they get responses at all from a program as messed up as it is now . . .

You forget that Lit is a free site and cannot pay for experienced professional editors. It's common sense and not hidden information that many volunteer editors on Lit are not professional editors. If writers can't handle that, or handle how hard it is to find someone to edit their story for free, they should go to a paid site, or pay a professional editor to edit their stories, or quit bitching about something they have no control over.

And, yes, the bottom line of the VE Program is that all anyone has to do to be a VE is to sign up. Just like all anyone has to do to submit a story on here is to sign up.

You forget that Lit is a free site and cannot pay for experienced professional editors. It's common sense and not hidden information that many volunteer editors on Lit are not professional editors. If writers can't handle that, or handle how hard it is to find someone to edit their story for free, they should go to a paid site, or pay a professional editor to edit their stories, or quit bitching about something they have no control over.

And, yes, the bottom line of the VE Program is that all anyone has to do to be a VE is to sign up. Just like all anyone has to do to submit a story on here is to sign up.

But some new writers do come here thinking people on the VE list have credentials of some sort. They believe being on that list means the person has editing experience or training. When they receive someone who makes a few changes to their story and tells them everything is great, they believe it, because surely someone who is on a list provided by the site knows how to edit.

I'll bet that a lot more than "some" come here with the misconception that editor here means real editor. Why wouldn't they unless they spent a lot of time on the forum learning otherwise from others than the Web site admin and the VE "editors"?

I'll bet that a lot more than "some" come here with the misconception that editor here means real editor. Why wouldn't they unless they spent a lot of time on the forum learning otherwise from others than the Web site admin and the VE "editors"?

Probably. I hear from quite a few people and based my post on them.

But some new writers do come here thinking people on the VE list have credentials of some sort. They believe being on that list means the person has editing experience or training. When they receive someone who makes a few changes to their story and tells them everything is great, they believe it, because surely someone who is on a list provided by the site knows how to edit.

"What is a Volunteer Editor?

A Volunteer Editor is a Literotica member who has volunteered his or her time to read stories and give feedback to the writers. They don't "work" for Literotica - they work for the benefit of Literotica writers. They will have varying backgrounds and levels of expertise. The only things they all have in common is big hearts and a desire to help improve the quality of your writing."

The above is taken from the FAQ page for the VE program.
http://literotica.com/faq/06028833.shtml

I doubt all VE's have big hearts, but given that this is a free erotica site, authors may have to kiss a few frogs before they find an editor they can work with. And given the amount of time some of the editing projects can take, it may be hard, if not impossible, to find the right editor. The larger a story is, the longer it takes to edit. Many VE's have jobs and other responsibilities that limit their VE time or prevent them from returning to Lit for long periods.

"What is a Volunteer Editor?

A Volunteer Editor is a Literotica member who has volunteered his or her time to read stories and give feedback to the writers. They don't "work" for Literotica - they work for the benefit of Literotica writers. They will have varying backgrounds and levels of expertise. The only things they all have in common is big hearts and a desire to help improve the quality of your writing."

The above is taken from the FAQ page for the VE program.
http://literotica.com/faq/06028833.shtml

I doubt all VE's have big hearts, but given that this is a free erotica site, authors may have to kiss a few frogs before they find an editor they can work with. And given the amount of time some of the editing projects can take, it may be hard, if not impossible, to find the right editor. The larger a story is, the longer it takes to edit. Many VE's have jobs and other responsibilities that limit their VE time or prevent them from returning to Lit for long periods.

Yet I've read posts where people claim they can edit a 10k story in a couple of hours. Or 25k in three hours. So what kind of edit is that new writer getting from someone he/she believes is helping improve their story?

"Volunteer" says the service is being offered for free. "Editor" is a profession. You don't become an editor just by hanging a shingle out. "Volunteer" doesn't ipso facto imply that there's no training/experience behind what's being volunteered. I'm betting that most looking for help here don't see "volunteer" as also meaning "untrained" (in most cases).

That said, another pair of eyes, even without much training/experience is useful--and usually is good enough for Literotica posting (including winning contests here). It just isn't what's being implied by the VE program.

Yet I've read posts where people claim they can edit a 10k story in a couple of hours. Or 25k in three hours. So what kind of edit is that new writer getting from someone he/she believes is helping improve their story?

I read a blog post on a writer's blog a while back. The subject was editing. A freelance editor bragged that she had recently edited a 50k story in 5 hours and another 50k story in 17 hours. I was tempted to ask her how often she smoked weed. The only way she could have done this would have been IF she had received a ms that was perfect or near perfect, which is not the norm. I still highly doubt the reality of what this woman was saying.

I usually tell an author that their 50k story will take me at least two weeks, sometimes longer, depending on my schedule and their writing. If the writing is exceptionally good and I've worked with the writer before, it could take a week. I also do at least two rounds of editing.

The estimate I give is 2,000-words/hour for a edit (which includes two passes). Couldn't work any one edit for eight hours straight, though.

I read a blog post on a writer's blog a while back. The subject was editing. A freelance editor bragged that she had recently edited a 50k story in 5 hours and another 50k story in 17 hours. I was tempted to ask her how often she smoked weed. The only way she could have done this would have been IF she had received a ms that was perfect or near perfect, which is not the norm. I still highly doubt the reality of what this woman was saying.

I usually tell an author that their 50k story will take me at least two weeks, sometimes longer, depending on my schedule and their writing. If the writing is exceptionally good and I've worked with the writer before, it could take a week. I also do at least two rounds of editing.

New writers, coming to the EF looking for help, are excited. They want to see their story posted. So if someone tells them they can "edit" it in three hours, and that person is on the VE list, they'll think their story will be correct when they get it back. I've received stories after a VE edited it and couldn't believe all the simple errors they missed.

The estimate I give is 2,000-words/hour for a edit (which includes two passes). Couldn't work any one edit for eight hours straight, though.

I can't remember where I read it, but I read something a while back where a professional editor said she can't edit straight for more than 5 hours per day.

New writers, coming to the EF looking for help, are excited. They want to see their story posted. So if someone tells them they can "edit" it in three hours, and that person is on the VE list, they'll think their story will be correct when they get it back. I've received stories after a VE edited it and couldn't believe all the simple errors they missed.

I think it would be good for any author to get educated about the editing process. And that would have to be done elsewhere to get in-depth information. One way is to follow established writers who discuss editing and/or professional editors who blog about editing.

The VE list is just a chrono list of people who have signed up to volunteer edit. It doesn't mean the editor has experience. I think the VE2 FAQ page is clear enough on that, so I would assume there are authors who don't take the time to read it.

I've seen a few stories as well that were edited by others that I was asked to edit, so I know what you're talking about with missing simple errors.

It always amuses me to see an author defend the editing of their "editor." The only one who could tell a good edit from a not so bad one would be a trained editor....... .

This reminds me of the scene in Dusk 'til Dawn where they're wondering if silver kills vampires or not and then the girl says "Does anyone have any silver?"

If the only person who could tell a good edit from a not so bad one is a trained editor, and this site is for the delight and edification of [a] people who like to mess around with words and people who like to read what the folks in [a] produce, then what the fuck does it matter?

Last edited:
then what the fuck does it matter?

I think I posted at least twice to this thread that it doesn't matter in the actual product posted to Literotica. It does matter in what these so-called editors think they are doing and in what the vict . . . (oops) writers think they're getting.

(The latter is the context of the post you quoted.)

Last edited:
The only thing that really bothers me about the VE is when you finally get someone to respond. You send them your story then you never hear from them again. So after about 15 days even when you send them an e mail asking for a status on the story and you still don't hear from them. Now your back looking for another VE to help you out. I understand that something comes up and they can not edit your story or they decide the story isn't their cup of tea. But you would think they would at least send you a note telling you, so you can start looking for a new VE sooner then later.

The only thing that really bothers me about the VE is when you finally get someone to respond. You send them your story then you never hear from them again. So after about 15 days even when you send them an e mail asking for a status on the story and you still don't hear from them. Now your back looking for another VE to help you out. I understand that something comes up and they can not edit your story or they decide the story isn't their cup of tea. But you would think they would at least send you a note telling you, so you can start looking for a new VE sooner then later.

Such VEs should be identified on this forum, I think, either to defend themselves or for their names to be available for writers to avoid this typical dead end.

The search can be difficult, indeed.

Well, now you have discovered why we edit it and write it for free. It is the only way I can think of to have garnered over 750,000 downloads over the few years I have been doing this. I can dream about getting one dollar apiece from them some day, but, oh well, I guess fantasy is what it is all about.

I write many bi male stories, but will edit anything (almost) if you pm me I will send you my e-mail.

Back