When I Grow Up I'm Going To...

I never had a dream occupation. Even as a kid when I was asked that question I would say " I don't know yet".
I pissed away my chance to go to a good college when my father told me I was on my own when I turned 18 by just doing enough to get by. grades went from A and B's to straight D's.

I got into auto sales in my 20's, money was great, 60+ hours a week was OK until I met my wife and actually had a reason to go home everyday. When she got to the point where she was making more money she told me she would like me to find something where we got to spend more than 2 days a week together.

I bounced around jobs for several years and got in DHS. After 3 years there we decided to start a family. My wife jokingly said I should quit working and be a stay at home dad. I had never considered it until that moment but I knew right then and there that it would make me happy.

So here I am just over 5 years later. I have watched my 2 boys grow every day. It is the only job I ever had that I loved. I honestly thought it was going to be a cake walk. It is more work than I expected but I try to get as much done as I can every day so that when my wife is home all we have to do is enjoy each other and our kids.

Well I never actually grew up but I'm much older than I thought I'd ever be. Must be this clean living and karma.
The karma part is confusing but my wife and I truly believe in it, whatever it is. We've done some stupid things and played some adult games that close friends and family know nothing about. We have two groups of close friends. The second group thinks we are perverts. The others think we are angels. In reality we are both and karma saved our asses many times.

So while I was growing up I sort of took some art and business classes. Mr. Disney was my hero and I wanted to be a cartoonist, or some sort of artist. In middle and high school I drew female nudes for lunch money. The teachers frowned on that.
I also wanted to see the USA, just like Dina Shore sang as she drove her Chevy to the levy. Who knew I'd live in Levy county Florida for 23 years. Damned karma!

Not being born rich and not having a chance to go to college, my plan was to hitch my car to an RV and go west young man. There I'd discover Disneyland and show Walt how great I could draw. Of course soon drawing was done with computers.

I didn't even have a girlfriend and didn't need one. Not gay, but my male friends and I discovered drag racing, stock car racing, motorcycle racing, and street racing was more fun than girls. But cars don't have tits!

Then along came a country girl. Somehow she got pregnant, I used my basic education to get an office job in a factory. The factory moved in five years but NY didn't appeal to me.
I became a salesman, something I was not good at. I ended up working in a very large factory. I hated being inside so when the factory offered me a chance to drive an 18-wheeler I jumped at it.

So my high school education and my art turned into looking at the USA through a windshield. But even that dream of seeing the USA fizzled. I was a company driver. I saw parts of the mid-west over and over until I retired at 55.

Who'da dreamed I'd still be married to that country bumpkin from Minnesota and be so happy? The dream turned to living in a mansion near the ocean in Florida. At least I found a Disney World! But the mansion was a double wide mobile home on five acres in the boonies. The nearest ocean was the Gulf of Mexico some 30 miles away.

We lived and loved there for 23 years, in our mansion. I had garages and sheds filled with antique cars and street rods. I had a sexy woman that loved me. Then we got old. Suddenly we were back in the mid-west in the middle of winter.

58 years with my first girlfriend and still in love. If I never grow up I'll still be happy! When I grow up I'm going to bypass the bad decisions and do more things I only dreamed about. Life is short, follow your dreams. We drove down that road in Inglis, Fl. where the Elvis movie was partially filmed. Now we're walkin down Memory Lane ........ literally! Karma or Angels still watch over me.

What a genuine and daring way to live a life. And (full)fill it too.

I wanted to be a flight attendant. Then I was told you are just being a waitress and I was discouraged.
I wanted to become a doctor but I was told it's too difficult (I still like doctors, even fantasizing about them).
Then an astronaut.
When I knew what I really wanted was too late.
What I chose in the end is actually pretty good.
You never know.

Last edited:
I never had a dream occupation. Even as a kid when I was asked that question I would say " I don't know yet".
I pissed away my chance to go to a good college when my father told me I was on my own when I turned 18 by just doing enough to get by. grades went from A and B's to straight D's.

I got into auto sales in my 20's, money was great, 60+ hours a week was OK until I met my wife and actually had a reason to go home everyday. When she got to the point where she was making more money she told me she would like me to find something where we got to spend more than 2 days a week together.

I bounced around jobs for several years and got in DHS. After 3 years there we decided to start a family. My wife jokingly said I should quit working and be a stay at home dad. I had never considered it until that moment but I knew right then and there that it would make me happy.

So here I am just over 5 years later. I have watched my 2 boys grow every day. It is the only job I ever had that I loved. I honestly thought it was going to be a cake walk. It is more work than I expected but I try to get as much done as I can every day so that when my wife is home all we have to do is enjoy each other and our kids.

:heart:

<snipped because everything's already quoted>

58 years with my first girlfriend and still in love. If I never grow up I'll still be happy! When I grow up I'm going to bypass the bad decisions and do more things I only dreamed about. Life is short, follow your dreams. We drove down that road in Inglis, Fl. where the Elvis movie was partially filmed. Now we're walkin down Memory Lane ........ literally! Karma or Angels still watch over me.

This is awesome. :rose:

Are you in Minnesota??

When I was in high school I thought that my life would be a success once I had been awarded the Pulitzer Prize that would surely be mine for the taking. But that was after I had wanted to be an astronaut (Drat! Astronauts can't wear glasses.), a scientist (Drat! Scientists have to know more math than Algebra I.),and an actor (Drat! Most actors are pretty good looking.). I am not, and never was, any of these things directly. Yet between my actual career and an avocation, in which I got to do a lot of writing, some science, and some acting at various times, I came close. Haven't figured out how to get to the Moon yet, but I'm working on it.

D'awwww. :)

I wanted to be a flight attendant. Then I was told you are just being a waitress and I was discouraged.
I wanted to become a doctor but I was told it's too difficult (I still like doctors, even fantasizing about them).
Then an astronaut.
When I knew what I really wanted was too late.
What I chose in the end is actually pretty good.
You never know.

Why too late?

Wow! I am constantly amazed/amused by this community and the way everyone supports each other.

Some of you make me smile (Salv, Denny, Bramble, twister and many others!)

Some of you make me sad that you settled as I did. I used to live by the code that if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space. Then about a dozen years ago, my body couldn't take it any more and now I sit and observe. Or lurk, as some of you like to label it! LOL

Some of you still have some goals to set and some still are attempting to reach theirs. Don't stop or slow down! I'm an admitted voyeur and will gladly cheer you on with whatever you attempt-bluespark and that Yankee comes to mind.

Cookie, glitterhugs and shit.

Elle, I promise you don't have to grow up and I do think I hear Peter calling for you.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

When I grow up I'm going to...uh...die, I suppose.

Assuming I can't convert my body into a cyborg by then.

I wanted to be an attorney, I settled for paralegal.
I wanted to be a horse breeder and trainer and send horses to Nationals, now I'd settle for making sure every little girl has a well trained best friend in her back yard.
I still am working toward being a filthy rich real estate investor.

My big focus right now is supporting my husband and not screwing my kid up.

Money

I admit, making money has been a motivating factor to me since I was really young. I saw myself in San Francisco doing something in finance. I have a creative streak and that led me towards marketing. Love my occupation, still obsessed with money, so I'm quite happy:)

Denny

This is awesome. :rose:

Are you in Minnesota??
I reread this thread and I'm glad I did. Lots of nice compliments about simple facts. Thanks. Maybe I did grow up.

Dollie was born and abused in SW Minnesota. Her two worse abusers, two older brothers, stole dad's Willies wagon and headed for central Illinois to live with grandparents.
The family followed after and eventually lived just north of my parents. The family were all mean, hateful, and sexually abusive to all females of the family.
My brother's GF set me up for ONE date with that redneck northern hillbilly. She dressed like a Quaker or Morman. Sort of like she came off the little house on the prairie.
I was young, hardly ever dated, but wanted a girl with tits. Dressed like a scarecrow it wasn't till the second or third date I even knew Dollie had tits. Never expecting to stay together I also played with those tits out in the open along with anyone else around.
In time something happened. Lust...love ? I was never rough with my playing and everything we've always done Dollie knew she could say no. Somehow we grew up together and actually spent a lifetime living our fantasies. It's not just a user name and we actually do now live on Memory Lane. We have nothing to hide and so much to be thankful for.
When I grow up I want to tell the world about our simple life and simple games.

There wasn't supposed to be a second or third date! Back when we were just kids we married and everyone said it will never last. Sometime I wonder!

Back