Yikes! "Omega Block" Snow Storm in NorthEast

3113

Hello Summer!
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Posts
13,823
Will all AHer's in the area please check in?
Blistering cold air blasted across most of the country Tuesday, and a lake-effect snowstorm hammered the Great Lakes and parts of New York, hitting some places with more than 6 feet of snow — so much that the National Guard was activated around Buffalo. ...The National Weather Service said Tuesday night that some areas of the Buffalo suburbs were approaching 76 inches of snow since Monday — that's the record for snowfall over a 24-hour period anywhere in the U.S. ever.

High temperatures struggled to climb above freezing in much of the Northeast, and they didn't even come close across most of the Midwest. Wind chills made it feel close to zero or colder in parts of Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota....And there's no sign of a reprieve from the cold brought to the country by what meteorologists call an Omega block..More than 100 cities could break records Tuesday night and Wednesday for the lowest daily high or low temperature for this time of year....
:eek: Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!

That's it! I'm sending in the sleds! Hang in there, Northeasterners! We Westerners are coming to the rescue!

dogs1.jpg
 
No snow, but we have a record low on the books for today.

Hat, gloves, and trenchcoat came out of the closet this morning.

-V
 
We haven't gotten any snow, thank heavens, but it has been very cold and today the high is only supposed to be around freezing. So that'll be fun.

Then Monday, perhaps a high of 70. Go figure.
 
Lake Michigan shoreline here . . . Bitter cold the past few days. Wind chills as low as one and two. Lake effect snow missed my town but dumped well over a foot less than ten miles away. Continuing snow and cold until the weekend.
 
It's 70 and sunny here. Shorts weather. San Diego is like that :)
I used to live near Buffalo and then in the Sierras near Tahoe. The Sierras can get snow almost that fast, but it's more powder - light and fluffy - usually. Upstate NY snow tends to be heavy and wet with all the moisture off the Great Lakes. It takes a huge amount of wet snow to pile 6 feet high.
I feel for you, Buffalo. Stay safe and warm.
 
Would offer to come help, but I live in the south. We can't drive in the snow.

My excuse and I'm sticking to it.

:D
 
I was in Maryland on Tuesday and Wed and it was 21 Tuesday night, but they were calling for 68 by weeks end.

Back home in RI they are saying high sixties for Monday....crazy.
 
october-map-630.jpg


It's cold outside, which means it'll soon be time for the annual rousing chorus of climate change denial from people who think snow means global warming is fake.

Good thing NOAA is here to help. Today the agency released two new maps illustrating that even if you're cold right now, the planet is still getting hotter. In fact, 2014 is on track to be the warmest year on record.

The map above shows where global temperatures for the month of October stood relative to the 20th century average. Overall, this was the warmest October since record-keeping began in 1880.

Doesn't that just warm your heart?:eek:
 
Back
Top