What is up, with the weather ?

Most unusual summer weather here in the central Sierras Nevada south of Lake Tahoe. Thunderstorms, inches of rain, much small hail, flooding, lightning-strike fires, ay yi yi. We smell forest-fire smoke on the shifting breezes. Red flag alerts are up. We might run. Oh fuck,
 
Typhoon - Cyclone, Hurricane, whatever you call them, in Hong Kong today. I was supposed to travel there last Monday but meeting was cancelled. Glad about that, but not about the reported fatalities.
 
Most unusual summer weather here in the central Sierras Nevada south of Lake Tahoe. Thunderstorms, inches of rain, much small hail, flooding, lightning-strike fires, ay yi yi. We smell forest-fire smoke on the shifting breezes. Red flag alerts are up. We might run. Oh fuck,

Pretty typical August weather for the Central Sierras, summer monsoons and fires!

Stay safe, hit to coast in your RV for a while.
 
Pretty typical August weather for the Central Sierras, summer monsoons and fires!

Stay safe, hit to coast in your RV for a while.
The fires are common but the thunderstorms aren't. And we're ready for the coast, between medical appointments. Might hang around Bodega Bay awhile. Probably browse the Ren Brown Gallery again, maybe get another Tanaka-san print. And inhale fog, ah...
 
The painful thought, that it may get worse, than this...

Remember when it was normal, to evacuate to safer places if a very destructive hurricaine was due to hit ?

Category 4 Hurricaine hits, parks, and pours rain

People were not told to evacuate, because it was impossible to move millions of people.

Flooding in parts of Texas, is a given. But this is horrible.

Hurricaine Harvey, tornado warnings, and sinkholes

Heartbreaking

Houston, Austin, and Louisiana

"Never seen anything like it"

"Unprecedented, record- breaking floods in parts of Texas"

Tropical Storm Harvey unleashes historic flooding in Houston area


Tropical Storm Harvey has unleashed the worst flooding in Houston history, dumping at least a foot of rain on most of the city, overflowing bayous and leaving some neighborhoods deep in floodwater.

"It's catastrophic, unprecedented, epic -- whatever adjective you want to use," said Patrick Blood, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
Brock Long, FEMA's administrator, said on CNN that Harvey is "a storm the United States has not seen yet."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-w...ent=chron_hp_zonec_fr_v1&ipid=chronhpfrreccos


Harris County sheriff's spokesman Jason Spencer said flooding throughout the county that includes Houston and the region is so widespread it's "difficult to pinpoint the worst area."


Areas of heavy rain may persist in parts of Texas or the adjacent lower Mississippi Valley into at least part of the Labor Day weekend.

Louisiana is bracing for floods.


http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/08/mitch_landrieu_harvey_tropical.html

Katrina had people in attics and roofs, because the water rose to the second story. It is happening, again.
 
Remember when it was normal, to evacuate to safer places if a very destructive hurricane was due to hit ?

Category 4 Hurricane hits, parks, and pours rain

People were not told to evacuate, because it was impossible to move millions of people.
I saw an online headline (can't find it now) about Texas state officials telling coastal residents to get the hell out but then deferring to "local officials who know best" telling Houstoners to stay in place. We could build a great conspiracy theory or three out of this. Who paid off the locals to magnify the disaster?

* Team Tromp, to highlight the God-Emperor's disaster management chops.
* Team Obama, to reveal Team Tromp's disaster management incompetence.
* George Soros, to provoke disaster-path rednecks to rise in futile rebellion.
* Vladimar Putin, to showcase humiliating Amerikkan governmental fuckups.
* Alex Jones and Stever Bannon, to spread paranoia boosting their websites.
* The CIA via HAARP mindcontrol rays, for a complex plot we'll never know.
* 4chan / Anon / alt.right hackers run HAARP MC rays just 'cause they can.

OR

It was a plain fuckup. Somebody transcribing the governator's orders slipped and entered "obey local officials" instead of "DON'T obey local officials" It's the same sort of typo that created the AIDS crisis. Just a stupid error. Oops. This won't affect my job performance report, will it?
 
Is this why people were not encouraged to hit the road and evacuate ?

Houstonians remember 2005, when an attempted evacuation for Hurricane Rita created the worst traffic jam in the city’s history and killed as many people as the hurricane itself—through heat stroke, and a bus that caught fire. The freeways where motorists sat stranded during Rita are underwater now. During last year’s floods, most deaths also occurred in cars.


http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...t_built_to_withstand_a_storm_like_harvey.html
 
After a couple of minutes, it kind of dawned on me that I'd never heard that before," Martin said. "I turned around, and about 200 yards away, I saw the water dancing. The first thought that came to my mind was that it looked like a group of redfish feeding in a frenzy.


Then I realized there was water spinning suspended above it."

Some anglers might have pointed their bows in the opposite direction and lowered their throttles to the console, but Martin was curious about the unusual phenomenon.


What Martin saw was a whirlwind, an area of swirling air that spun in a vortex over the water's surface. There were some clouds around and some rain in the distance, but no funnel extended from the heavens to create a water spout.


Martin said the wind where he was positioned was relatively calm, but inside the vortex, the ripples were 5 to 6 inches high.

In the above video, which is just a clip of the full footage Martin captured, the whirlwind shows its strength when it moves over the marsh and picks up what appears to be loose sections of spartina.



http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index...._angler_captures_c.html#incart_river_home_pop
 
Harvey moves into Louisiana with at least 35 dead, 17 missing

Tropical Storm Harvey spun across southeast Texas into Louisiana on Wednesday, sending more people fleeing for shelter after swamping Houston with record rains and flooding that killed at least 35 people and drove tens of thousands from their homes.

The storm has forced 32,000 people into shelters since coming ashore on Friday as the most powerful hurricane to hit Texas in half a century. On Wednesday, it pummeled the coast from Port Arthur, Texas, to Lake Charles, Louisiana.

Tropical Storm Irma expected to be hurricane by week’s end

It's too soon to tell if Erma will fuck up Mar-a-Largo!:eek:
 
Harvey veered into Louisiana with little left but rain. A lot of rain: More than 22 inches fell on parts of southwest Louisiana in the seven days ending Wednesday (Aug 30), according to the National Hurricane Center.

We're having more severe rain events," Tom Hoefer, a Calcasieu Parish spokesman, said Thursday. "And we've had flooding events pretty continuously through the years, but nothing on a scale like this."


In Cameron, attention was shifting Thursday to rising river waters, which could cause more flooding. "The Mermentau, the Calcasieu, the Sabine - all of them drain through us to get to the gulf," Bourriaque said. "So, even the rainwater we didn't directly receive, it's still coming to us in any event."

http://www.nola.com/environment/ind...rvey.html#incart_2box_nola_river_orleans_news


Harvey's rains unfolded, the intensity and scope of the disaster were so enormous that weather forecasters, first responders, the victims -- everyone, really -- couldn't believe their eyes. Now the data are bearing out what everyone suspected: This flood event is on an entirely different scale than what the United States has seen.


A new analysis from the University of Wisconsin's Space Science and Engineering Center has determined that Harvey is a "1-in-1,000-year flood event" that has overwhelmed an enormous section of southeast Texas equivalent in size to New Jersey.

There is nothing in the historical record that rivals this, said Shane Hubbard, the Wisconsin researcher who made and mapped this calculation. "In looking at many of these events [in the United States], I've never seen anything of this magnitude or size," he said. "This is something that hasn't happened in our modern era of observations."

http://www.nola.com/environment/ind...s_deemed_a_1000-year_f.html#incart_river_home
 
Where have all the illegal foreign workers gone for the duration?
They're all in the woodwork.

Want a job?

maralago-1aab3aa0-7d17-11e7-9d08-b79f191668ed.jpg
 
“You usually don’t see models predicting a Category 5.”

September 1, 2017


"I’m seeing some of the highest wind forecast that I’ve seen,” Michael Ventrice, a meteorological scientist, tells Mother Jones.

"What’s striking about Irma is how early the models have predicted its strength. “You usually don’t see models predicting a Category 5,” Ventrice says. “With regards to Harvey, we only had one to two days of knowing it would be a major storm.”

Weather Trolls ?

Some models track the potential of the storm turning back out to sea, while others look at a potential path over the Caribbean islands and to the Gulf of Mexico. Weather patterns such as high and low pressure systems could also play a role in the path and intensity of the storm.

The uncertainty hasn’t stopped internet hoaxers from circulating fake forecast maps that show Irma following the path of Harvey, prompting the National Weather Service to tweet out a real forecast.

http://www.motherjones.com/environm...-gathering-speed-heres-what-you-need-to-know/



NWS
NWS @NWS
·
13h
#Irma is currently a category 2 hurricane with winds 110 mph. Irma is forecast to strengthen back into a major hurricane by Sunday

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWS?ref_...-gathering-speed-heres-what-you-need-to-know/
 
Major blow job for Florida! :eek:

irma-478x257.jpg


Florida governor declares state of emergency as Hurricane Irma upgraded to Category 4 storm

Florida Governor Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency as Hurricane Irma strengthened near his state into a Category 4 storm.

According to the Miami Herald, a National Hurricane Center advisory described Irma as growing to 140 mph winds as it crossed the Caribbean.

With the hurricane expected to strengthen over the next two days, experts estimate Irma would be the biggest hurricane to hit South Florida since Category 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

“Today, given these forecasts and the intensity of this storm, I have declared a state of emergency for every county in Florida to make certain that state, federal and local governments are able to work together and make sure resources are dispersed to local communities as we get prepared for this storm,” read Scott’s statement on the flgov.com website. “In Florida, we always prepare for the worst and hope for the best and, while the exact path of Irma is not absolutely known at this time, we cannot afford to not be prepared.
 
My first science project in junior high school was about tracking weather and clouds. It was a lousy project, partly because most of the types of clouds and weather shown in textbooks just don't happen in the Los Angeles basin. So I was trying to track abstractions and impossibilities. Did that prepare me for later life?

Back then, satellites were new. Telstar was just up. We weren't yet used to geostationary views of atmospheric events. Now we can see weather happening from above, below, inside, wherever, and can make some fairly good guesses as to where it's headed. Tornadoes are still surprising.

Will Irma whack the Virgins, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Florida? If not Irma, other huge storms will, as they always have. But now they've got Global Warming superpowers! Harvey was powered by the Gulf with the hottest oceanic waters on the planet. Lots more hot water out there, ready to feed lots more storms, ready to scour shorelines. How long can you tread water?
 
Irma strengthens to a Category 5 hurricane: NHC

The Creator is getting ready to blow Trump's Mar-a-Largo off the map!

Suck this Donald!
 
Irma strengthens to a Category 5 hurricane: NHC

The Creator is getting ready to blow Trump's Mar-a-Largo off the map!

Suck this Donald!
Can't he send all his illegal Latino groundskeepers out to brush-away the storm? When they're blown off, he can collect their corporate-paid insurance.
 
Category 5 Hurricane Irma heading directly at Trump’s $28 million Caribbean mansion

Castle-of-the-Palms-478x257.png


Category 5 Hurricane Irma is closing in on President Donald Trump’s luxury St. Martin mansion.

“Trump owns a multi-million dollar mansion on the Caribbean island of St. Martin — and Category 5 Irma is heading straight for it,” the Miami Herald reports. “A hurricane warning is in effect for St. Martin — a French dependency about 230 miles east of Puerto Rico — and other nearby islands, meaning tropical storm-force winds could arrive within the next 24 to 36 hours.”

Trump’s 5-acre estate with 8-foot walls is located directly on the beach. It is known as “Le Chateau des Palmiers” or “Castle of the Palms.”

Trump owns the property through two shell companies, Excel Venture I LLC and Excel Venture Corp II.

The Trust in May listed the beachfront estate for sale at $28 million.

In August, The Washington Post reported the price had been slashed by, “more than $11 million in recent weeks.”

:eek:
 
Rush Limbaugh suggests Hurricane Irma is a liberal hoax

Hurricane Irma is gathering strength over the Atlantic Ocean as it heads towards the Caribbean. Already rated Category 5, it is expected to make landfall in Florida by the end of the week, with many worried about a repeat of the havoc caused in Texas and Louisiana by Hurricane Harvey.

None of that seems to worry Rush Limbaugh.

On Monday, the right-wing radio personality delivered a customarily freewheeling monologue in which he seemed to suggest that hurricanes were a liberal conspiracy intended to convince the public that climate change is real.

Limbaugh is not a meteorologist, as he acknowledges at the opening of the monologue, before proceeding to muse on meteorology. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

:eek: What an insufferable dick! :mad:
 
It's insured. Lose one, build another. Ho hum.

Weather is a hoax. Gravity is a hoax. We are all hoaxes. Everyone but me. Only I am real. Y'all are my dream denizens. I have proof.. So does Rush. But he has narcotic pills and I don't, so there.

Murphy's Law of Cybernetic Entymology: There's always another bug.
Hypoxia's Law of Recurrent Climatology: There's always another storm.

If not Jose it would be Kamela. Or Morton. Or Nichole. Or whatever. Like hamsters, there's more where that one came from.
 
Back
Top