Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
regularguy13
Experienced

incest stories - mother vs. aunt or avoid incest???

Hey gang,

I've an idea for a Contest story where unusual circumstances lead to unexpected hetero sex. Obviously, anyone can have sex with anyone and I can take this story in any direction. I know it's my story and I can do whatever I want, but if votes for a contest are my major concern what should i do?

My first thought was he has sex with his mother, an aunt, and his cousin or his sister. Why them? the added shock value of incest.

My second thought was sex with two aunts and a cousin. Why? I thought this would be less objectionable. Sure they're family, but not his immediate family.

My third thought was sex with people unrelated to him. A former teacher of his and two classmates. The teacher is older. She was in a position of authority over him and was suppose to look after him. A quasi parent. But that relationship is over. Still...

My concern is some people object to incest stories so why antagonize Contest readers/voters? Especially, since that aspect isn't critical to the story. Do incest fans outnumber incest haters? Maybe. I suspect fans of incest stories don't penalize non-incest stories, but i believe folks that object to incest will penalized an incest story. (I've seen it in comments).

Also, I wonder if I'm being lazy. The incest automatically adds tension and angst. If I'm a decent writer, why do I need this crutch? Shouldn't I be able to build drama without incest? And if i go the non-incest route, will voters reward me?

What do you think? Thanks, r

Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Okay, well my first advice from one writer to another is if your first reaction was the mom aunt etc combination, then go with it. That came into your head for a reason.

As for the contest, you can choose your category and people can see what it is when they click your story(or if your title has mom they know before that. Anyone freaked by incest isn't going to read it.

You will get some taboo hating one bombs, but the sweep at the end of the contest will wipe those out. Lit is one of the few places that allow incest stories so you're going to get a lot more love than hate with it here.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

I would concur with Lovecraft. Trying to second guess readers en masse is a mug's game. Some of them will one-bomb you for your depravity; others will give you an extra star because you've hit the bull's eye of their personal kink. Just write what you want to write, and write it as well as you can. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
RelentlessOnanism
Really Experienced

All I would say is if you're going to make it an incest story, just go the whole hog and make it an incest story. Mother/son is easily the most popular sub-genre of incest story. If you 'dilute' it to make it less 'objectionable', all you'll do is fall between two stools; you'll annoy the incest aficionados (who like their incest to be full on and hardcore) and the incest-haters will still hate it.

Either commit to one or the other, don't make a weak broth, trying to please everyone.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

It's not clear exactly what your overriding goal is. You need to figure that out first, and then decide what to do.

Incest -- real incest, not step incest or whatever -- is the most popular category of story on Literotica. By far. You maximize your chance of getting a lot of readers if you write it as a true incest story and publish it in that category. If that's what you want, that's what you should do.

But popularity does not necessarily mean a high rating. Incest stories often are very popular, but often are not the most highly RATED stories. They get many views and votes and favorites, but not necessarily the highest scores. So if you want to win a contest, then incest isn't necessarily the way to go.

I personally see contests as a way of getting extra exposure for my stories. I don't care about winning. I would never tweak a story to put it in a different category to get a higher score if I thought it meant I would be getting fewer readers. But others may think differently, and so may you. There's no "right" answer.

If what you care about is writing the best possible story, then none of these things matters. Write the best possible story, and don't worry about the category until after it's done. I tend to agree with Lovecraft -- go with what your gut told you when the idea emerged the first time. Don't second guess yourself.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
8letters
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy13 View Post
Hey gang,

I've an idea for a Contest story where unusual circumstances lead to unexpected hetero sex. Obviously, anyone can have sex with anyone and I can take this story in any direction. I know it's my story and I can do whatever I want, but if votes for a contest are my major concern what should i do?

My first thought was he has sex with his mother, an aunt, and his cousin or his sister. Why them? the added shock value of incest.

My second thought was sex with two aunts and a cousin. Why? I thought this would be less objectionable. Sure they're family, but not his immediate family.

My third thought was sex with people unrelated to him. A former teacher of his and two classmates. The teacher is older. She was in a position of authority over him and was suppose to look after him. A quasi parent. But that relationship is over. Still...

My concern is some people object to incest stories so why antagonize Contest readers/voters? Especially, since that aspect isn't critical to the story. Do incest fans outnumber incest haters? Maybe. I suspect fans of incest stories don't penalize non-incest stories, but i believe folks that object to incest will penalized an incest story. (I've seen it in comments).

Also, I wonder if I'm being lazy. The incest automatically adds tension and angst. If I'm a decent writer, why do I need this crutch? Shouldn't I be able to build drama without incest? And if i go the non-incest route, will voters reward me?

What do you think? Thanks, r
If you're trying to win the contest, I'd suggest a category other than incest because it's very rare for an incest story to place in the top 3 of a contest.

The big advantage of submitting your story to the contest is that a story in a less-popular category will get more views. The two I/T contest entries I submitted didn't have significantly more views than my other I/T stories.

As for whether I/T is a crutch or not, most readers come here to look for a specific kink to read. If you post your story in a category that not many people read, you aren't going to get a lot of views with even the best written story.

Latest story - My Cookie-Baking Sister

Most popular stories - My European Summer Vacation, My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date and My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In

Last edited by 8letters : 09-24-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
regularguy13
Experienced

Thanks for the input. My questions was only about Contests. I was asking if Incest stories fare worse in contest because, while some of us love them, others don't. Thanks Simon. I thought so.

Has anyone done a Moneyball-like analytics study of contest winners? Off the cuff, I'd say longer stories (perhaps readers who don't like the story, stop reading, and never vote?? Those who like it, stick with it, and give it a high number). I've noticed many of the winners are not posted the day the contest begins (I don't see how that helps).

As for my story, I will write two versions: incest and non-incest. I'll post the version I like best. r

Old 09-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the input. My questions was only about Contests. I was asking if Incest stories fare worse in contest because, while some of us love them, others don't. Thanks Simon. I thought so.
I/T readers don't rate stories as highly as readers in some other categories. Lesbian and SciFi stories get consistently high ratings, as do stories in some other categories.

I don't think I/T stories have finished in the running in the last year, though some have come close. I think this is simply because I/T readers tend to vote lower than some, rather than because the stories are controversial. I posted my last two contest stories in I/T, and I didn't expect to finish in the running.

Quote:
Has anyone done a Moneyball-like analytics study of contest winners? Off the cuff, I'd say longer stories (perhaps readers who don't like the story, stop reading, and never vote?? Those who like it, stick with it, and give it a high number). I've noticed many of the winners are not posted the day the contest begins (I don't see how that helps).
Not sure what a "Moneyball-like analytics study" is. Nor do I know if there is a place you can get information on more than the last contest. I checked the length of the top Nude Day stories and found them to be mostly in the range of 4-5 Lit pages. I tried to keep my Summer Lovin' story down to 5 pages, but the best laid plans of mice and men, you know.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright means to them.
My most recent story is Stinky and Fudd.
For the moment, I'm taking a writing break. I'll write again when it feels good.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
8letters
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Go for it. The problem is that to have a decent analysis, you need thousands of pieces of data to analyze and I don't know if there are that many contest stories out there. You'd also have the problem that to accurately capture the data, you need to have a snapshot of the data on the day the contest ended, and that's long past. I was curious to see if the top story in the 2016 contest I entered still had a better rating than mine and it's gone from the contest page.

Latest story - My Cookie-Baking Sister

Most popular stories - My European Summer Vacation, My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date and My Lingerie-Loving Sister Moves In

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
SuperWriter
Experienced

Go with the option that will let you write the BEST story. That's all that matters

My published stories - https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/SuperWrit3r

Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

Agreed with everything above.

On another tack however, Laurel seems open to writers starting up their own contests. Chloe Tzang had an Aussie-themed one going right now, for instance. You might convince her to OK a special contest involving incest. Not my mug of stewed leaves, but if it’s what floats your boat, go for it.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

My latest and entry for the Halloween contest: https://www.literotica.com/s/moving-day-38