Your opinion: the best guitar rifts in rock and roll 60s-80s.

I know it's cliche but.....

....the blending guitars of Felder and Walsh at the end of Hotel California. Also the solos by David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb. Also Gilmour's gutar in the song Sorrow on the Momentary Lapse Of Reason album.

There's a difference between a riff and a solo. The opening of "You Really Got Me" or "Satisfaction:" a riff. Whatever the fuck Hendrix is doing in those middle few minutes of "Machine Gun" on Band of Gypsys: a solo.

Pull this one off right an you'll win I gay-wron-TEE!!

Over the years, I've kinda shrugged off Van Halen as being more flash than substance, with their covers (Pretty Woman & You Really Got Me) being their best efforts imho. But after listening to this tune for the first time in many years, and re-listening to it, I have a new found appreciation for it. The opening riff has a hauntingly beautiful melody, played with gusto & flair by a technically brilliant guitarist, and composition-wise, the tune is a work of genius. So major props to Eddie V. on this one!

Agreed. I did a thread about the intro once! Fabulous.

I'd love to read it if you'd be so kind to direct me to it! This is just about the most bad-ass tunes ever, and Hendrix makes it look so easy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ErD54UxTQ

No histrionics or stage antics, just the Master Guitarist calmly chewing his gum and going about his business playing the most incredible guitar lines this side of Pluto as if it were nothing at all. Sheer genius!

Smoke_on_the_Water_riff.jpg

Over the years, I've kinda shrugged off Van Halen as being more flash than substance, with their covers (Pretty Woman & You Really Got Me) being their best efforts imho. But after listening to this tune for the first time in many years, and re-listening to it, I have a new found appreciation for it. The opening riff has a hauntingly beautiful melody, played with gusto & flair by a technically brilliant guitarist, and composition-wise, the tune is a work of genius. So major props to Eddie V. on this one!

I know what you mean.

And I'd agree....but he's dropped a few gold nuggets along the way.

Running With the Devil.

Unchained

Robert Fripp's intro line on King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man'.
Not a typical riff-meister like Jimmy Page or Tony Iommi, but just
love that. Powerful.

Same here. Last month I decided to learn some VH riffs and fell in love with the band all over again. 95% of eddie's playing is very basic and not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, not including solos, although many of them are pretty basic too.

The rift between Don Felder and Don Henley has to be right up there.

Back