I'm relatively new here and looking for experienced input

M

Mordikai

Guest
deleted

posted in wrong thread

apparently editors are not the right people to help improve my writing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I've now had some poems and 3 stories published on here but am disappointed that so few people comment. I was hoping that I'd get some constructive feedback and use it to improve my writing.

If anyone is interested in providing this for me please dm or reply back on here and we can discuss.

Thank you
Mordikai

i'm going to be nice and tell you to take your dumbass to the story feedback and poetry boards where you will post links to your stories and poems asking for feedback like a smart person would.
 
posted in wrong thread

apparently editors are not the right people to help improve my writing.

This will help . . .

* To switch on your Private Messages, go to User CP (top left of this page), click on Edit Options (in the left hand column), and then tick Enable Private Messaging in the second box down. Make sure that the box titled Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators is NOT ticked. Finally, click Save Changes at the bottom of that page.

:)
 
Thank you _Lynn_

I've done the dm changes as suggested. Thank you
 
Originally Posted by Mordikai
Hi
I've now had some poems and 3 stories published on here but am disappointed that so few people comment. I was hoping that I'd get some constructive feedback and use it to improve my writing.

If anyone is interested in providing this for me please dm or reply back on here and we can discuss.

Thank you
Mordikai

Thanks to 'pointless' for quoting this so we could still see the OP. The editors forum is good for asking people to review specific stories/poems, but the Authors Hangout is better suited for specific questions regarding style and content.

I haven't read your work, but I did want to comment on your original post. Don't feel upset if few people comment on your writing, it's not something that happens a great deal unless your story is highly controversial, horribly written, or so well written that scores of people will re-read it multiple times. Also there are categories that get more reads/votes/comments than others, so take that into account as well.

While I know that my stories aren't in the running to be best-sellers, I used to worry about the lack of feedback, but after a few years of posting I've found that I'm the norm and not the exception. I have stories that have less than 30k view after 5 years, and zero comments in that time. For most of my stories, both the votes and comments are ranging around 0.05% of views, and with well over 1M views on 39 stories, I've probably received a total of 10 emails. I'm not complaining about the feedback, it's just how it happens.

Don't feel slighted if you don't receive the type of feedback you think you deserve, it's a tough market. Enjoy the good reviews and ignore the trolls. Your experiences seem to be among the majority here.

---
Edited to add:
I read The Stranger and was not interested in reading more. Yes, I agree it needs an editor to help with the story flow, descriptions, length, and plausibility. That being said, the reason that I wasn't going to read more is that I'm not a fan of rape. Everyone has their kink, and while I have my own twisted sense of morality, I couldn't get behind this one. Sorry, just my thing, but I'm sure many others will like it. This is one reason that you'll have a low comment and vote count (I didn't do either), as many people don't enjoy that kind of stuff. Edgy and risky stories will be low in feedback.
Speaking of which, do not expect good numbers in the poetry section. I have two (boring and cheesy) submissions there, and more than two years later they still haven't broken 1k views. It's the least read section on this site, and the results you'll see will reflect that.

As others have said in other threads, the best way to write better is to write and read more. Study how other authors frame their stories, and attempt to do the same for yours. Don't copy their work, but use good structure and create your own style using the influence of others, and of course, use the editing resources available.
Good luck dude!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top