The Politics of Pot!

California Pot Mogul Denies Bill Was Written As A Favor To Him

A bill in the California State Assembly that would supposedly make it easier for drug felons to obtain marijuana licenses is so narrow in scope that it appears to have been written for one powerful white California entrepreneur: Steve DeAngelo, who is likely the most powerful legal marijuana business owner on the planet.

If the bill is passed, DeAngelo will glide through the marijuana licensing process, while most other cannabis felons, including many of the people of color who were disproportionately targeted by the war on drugs, will need to individually convince a licensing board that they have been rehabilitated. A source close to the Assemblymember who wrote the bill told BuzzFeed News that it had specifically been introduced as a favor to DeAngelo.

“It’s like a running joke in the industry at this point. Steve got a bill written for himself,” said Casey O’Neill, who cultivates cannabis, flowers, and produce at HappyDay Farms in Northern California. O’Neill has a felony conviction for cannabis cultivation on his record, but it would not be covered under this bill.

On February 19, Assemblymember Rob Bonta (D-Oakland) introduced a bill that would prohibit the state from denying a license to drug felons who meet three very specific criteria: First, the conviction must have occurred out of state. Second, the conviction must not have resulted in jail time. And third, the felon must also be approved by a local licensing body. DeAngelo, who already has licenses to operate in Oakland, San Jose, and San Leandro, perfectly meets all three qualifications.

Okay BB how do you feel about this?:D
 
Recent figures of fatal crashes caused by people under the influence of drugs has shown an increase in deaths since the legalization of drugs. If you know someone who is a pot smoker than you know that their body functions and mental functions are less then when they are "sober" just as someone on alcohol. And the legal sale of drugs has not caused the illegal sales to go down. After all you don't have to pay taxes on the street and can get it cheaper at times too. The only ones who are making out on the legal sales are the drug pushers. They laugh all the way to the bank. Gangs still run the trade in the cities and the Mexican friends of the corrupt politicians in Washington are still making billions from Americans on running drugs into this country.

If drugs are only used in the home and people use good sense then there would be no problem, but when is the last time you heard of an alcoholic using good sense? So you say well legal the sale of all drugs. Will it really change anything? The drug dealers will still be selling on the street, the gangs would still control it, and the fat cat corrupt politicians would still be getting rich. And the problems would still be there. Even the most vocal of "free drugs" admit that there is a heavy drug (like heron) problem. Even Sanders and Clinton who push for legal drugs admit that in their election campaigns.
 
Prohibition of alcohol drove it into the hands of organized crime. Legalizing it again gave the tax revenue back to the government. Prohibition of pot means the criminals control it. Take it out of their hands and enjoy the tax income.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuc7sAcmzXY

Don't drive high. It's dangerous and irresponsible.

Hand held detectors are coming to market for LE to be able to do roadside checks. This will help. DUI is DUI, if caught.

Stoners beware, you may not get a criminal record for simple possession but you may for a DUI.

If booze and smokes are legal pot should be too. The 'hard' drugs are a different story. Can't have drug manufacturers churning out Oxycontins for public consumption.
 
Man accused of murdering wife uses the ‘reefer madness’ defense in a first-of-its-kind case in Colorado

:eek: Hardly plausible!

As the push to legalize marijuana nationwide grows, a first-of-its-kind case in Colorado is shaking the industry. A man who killed his wife is claiming as an excuse that weed made him do it, the Daily Beast reports.

Richard Kirk shot his wife and killed her in April 2014 — after Kristine Kirk told a police dispatcher he was hallucinating. Hours earlier, Richard Kirk had eaten “Karma Kandy Orange Ginger,” a marijuana edible he had bought at a dispensary called Nutritional Elements.

Kirk has claimed the edible made him kill his wife and has plead guilty by reason of insanity. His wife’s family is suing the seller for failing to adequately warn customers of risks. Both the suit and Kirk’s plea raise legal questions about pot in the first state to legalize its recreational use.

Signs point to marital discord between the couple in the days leading up to Kristine’s death, including financial problems and, in one incident, Kristine telling a co-worker her husband had “cursed angrily” at her, and it left her afraid.

“The substance-use piece may or may not be a red herring,” Pitt told the station. “At the end of the day, he’s not going to be found insane because of some edible marijuana he ingested. If he’s legally insane, it will be because he has a mental disease or defect that is separate and apart from his substance use.”
 
Okay BB how do you feel about this?:D

I think the Sheriffs lobby has more to do with that than Steve.

It just might end up a monetary benefit for him so it makes him an easy target for everyone who wants in but is barred because they got caught felony farming before.

Steve might be rich and well set up but he's also a hippie bigger than shit. He's shown no other inclinations for power grabs and has been working to help insure a small 'cottage' licence to bring backyard/garage growers into the fold. So I just don't see him hating on pot farmers for being farmers.

The law itself I think is bullshit....it simply shouldn't recognize cannabis related charges as a reason to bar participation.

Farming is not a crime.

Hand held detectors are coming to market for LE to be able to do roadside checks. This will help. DUI is DUI, if caught.

Stoners beware, you may not get a criminal record for simple possession but you may for a DUI.

It was a complete failure, even blood test have been discredited.

As it stands the police are going to have to beat stoners the old fashioned way....no fancy devices with arbitrary limits.

It's a double edged sword, shitty for new stoners and a blessing for us functional potheads. But that's where we are currently at with the canna DUI bit.
 
Last edited:
Tommy Chong accuses Sanders campaign of ‘cold feet’ after he’s dropped from L.A. rally

Comedian and marijuana legalization activist Tommy Chong ripped Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign after he was pulled from a speaking spot at a campaign rally.

“It’s lip service to get the votes, but they don’t want to endorse what I stand for and what I’ve stood for all my professional career,” Chong told The Hollywood Reporter. “It was an insult.”

A spokesperson for Sanders’ campaign told THR that Chong lost his speaking slot because “a scheduling issue came up.”

Maybe Hillary will invite him to speak at her rally?
 
Seniors are lighting up to cure what ails them as they trade pills for pot

Seniors shift from White Lighting to White Widow!

The growing acceptance of and access to legal marijuana has some people worried that the youth are going to start using it more frequently, but that’s not the demographic where pot has really taken off. Instead, it’s senior citizens.

Whether it’s wide-open medical marijuana states like California or fully legal states like Colorado, the gray-haired set is increasingly turning to pot, and not just to ease their aches and pains With a half-dozen more states likely to have legalization on the ballot (and win) this year and medical marijuana coming to more, grandma and grandpa are set to become even more interested.

Last week, CBS This Morning reported on the phenomenon of senior marijuana use, and the numbers are striking. Citing data from the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the program reported that the number of pot users over 55 jumped from 2.8 million in 2013 to 4.3 million in 2014, a 55% increase in a single year. Watch the video here.

"It's not your Grandpa's weed. Or, is it?"
 
I love how in all these articles they make sure to note that everyone is so super fucking scared for the youth!!

LOL....youth did fine for the few hundred thousand years they were burning herb before the US Federal Government effectively banned it in 1937 and lit a full scale war against it under Nixon.

The prohibition is new and the center of the controversy....not the plant.
 
Making it legal won't change the selling on the streets. It does make it easier for drug dealers to become "honest" and it doesn't matter what excuse you use for smoking pot you are a drug user and the majority move on to harder drugs. You can't stop people from being drunks and killing themselves any more than you can stop drug users from killing themselves. All you can do is hope they don't kill anyone else. No matter how you try to excuse it it is a disease. And be honest you all know that if you are drunk or high on pot your mind is worthless and you are a danger to yourself and others.
 
It does make it easier for drug dealers to become "honest"

CVS_Store_pic.jpg
3f5a8c51-0860-4eaf-967f-3117e9952fb0.jpg
265650883_6dba60447b.jpg
soda_machines.png
Andrew-Franke.jpg
4km6o33cey_4675f907_803d_fc86_45a7_befd2bf6c44b.jpg


What's your point?

You some kinda commie or some shit? :confused:
 
Excuse me if this has already be stated but mary-j does not have to be dosed out in leaf form It can be distributed in pill or liquid form as well. the medical benefits are also out of sight. I also remember reading somewhere that Colorado made 2mil in taxes from only the legal sell of it. I can see nothing but pluses on this one. As a matter of fact, the reason heroin is becoming so prevalent is because Mary-j is becoming legal so many other places. It is replacing it. Then there is also the fact the price is lower. I rather deal with a Sleepy, hungry person any day then a heroin user.
 
Pot industry infighting complicates California legalization vote

In early January, the California Growers Association (CGA), an organization of marijuana farmers, gathered at the Sacramento Grand Ballroom in the state’s capital to nail down political strategy for the coming year. By most indications, the mood in the sweeping ballroom, with its intricate chandeliers and gilded ceiling, should have been jubilant. In just a few years the association had evolved from a provincial group with only a single full-time grower on its seven-member board to a statewide operation with 550-plus members and a leadership team comprised of young, energized marijuana growers ready to move out of the shadows.

“Half of my board is third-generation farmers, people who grew up in the drug war, lying about what their parents did and wishing they were normal,” said Hezekiah Allen, CGA’s executive director and Humboldt County native, in an interview last year. “And we are in charge now.”

These farmers are coming out in a big way. On Tuesday, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA), a major cannabis legalization initiative backed by deep-pocketed funders and major marijuana organizations, qualified for California’s November ballot. If it passes, AUMA will launch a legal cannabis industry in the world’s eighth-largest economy. AUMA builds off of the Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act (MMRSA), a series of three bills passed last year that will launch California’s first-ever statewide medical marijuana regulations over the next two years. (While California voters legalized medical cannabis in 1996, marijuana regulations have varied widely across the state.) Together, AUMA and MMRSA pave the way for those who’ve long operated in the state’s marijuana grey market—including California's estimated 53,000 small-scale cannabis cultivators—to become key players in the new regime.

Now we have Big-Weed trying to skim the market!

DeAngelo thinks the person who stands to gain the most from the distribution requirement is Ted Simpkins, former head of the California division of Southern Wine & Spirits, the country’s largest alcohol distributor, and now CEO of River Wellness, a major new California marijuana distribution company. According to a recent Los Angeles Times article, since early 2015 River has spent nearly $150,000 lobbying and donating to key lawmakers behind MMRSA. (River and Simpkins declined an interview request.)

What’s striking to some observers is that alongside River, one of the other main supporters of the distributor model is the CGA. “I am not sure why CGA has come out publically in support of that model,” said Lynne *****, state director of the Drug Policy Alliance's California chapter. “The only thing I can surmise is they must have made a deal.” ***** isn’t the only one asking questions of CGA and River’s relationship; both operations hired the same California lobbyist, and a River representative now sits on CGA’s board.
 
Recreational weed legalization in California could lead to $1 billion tax windfall for state

There is no guarantee California will vote to legalize recreational marijuana in November, but political operative and father of four Daniel Conway has already staked his future on it.

Conway left his job as chief of staff to Sacramento’s celebrity mayor, former Phoenix Suns NBA basketball star Kevin Johnson, to help start the marijuana investment company Truth Enterprises.

He is one of hundreds in the most populous U.S. state already pushing ahead with plans to enter a market experts say will be worth $4 billion by 2020.

“I’m someone of an age and of a demographic that sees the legalization and normalization of marijuana as inevitable,” said Conway, 35. “This was a chance not just to build companies but to build an industry.”

With a population of nearly 40 million people, and a thriving medical marijuana trade legalized 20 years ago, California already has the United States’ largest legal marijuana market. Legalization of recreational pot would generate an estimated $1 billion in additional taxes per year.

Hundreds trying to horn in on the windfall but not doing much to produce or process the weed, just want their cut off the top.
 

LOL California thinks farmers are going to work for free, or the privilege of generating revenue for CA and not themselves....they are idiots.

Other states and the black market couldn't be more excited about CA flat out running their cannabis industry out of their state.

Hundreds trying to horn in on the windfall but not doing much to produce or process the weed, just want their cut off the top.

Exactly....except the don't want a cut off the top, they want it all.

2020 there will be all of 7 producers in the whole state.

I can't get out of this elitist shithole fast enough.
 
Recreational weed legalization in California could lead to $1 billion tax windfall for state



Hundreds trying to horn in on the windfall but not doing much to produce or process the weed, just want their cut off the top.

The capitalists are getting their capital ready for the day it is totally legal. The 1 Billion tax grab will be just a percentage of the profits. Say maybe a 3-5 billion total injection of money into Cali economy.

The Pusherman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyZf4IElBs
 
What surprises me is that the folks in Sacramento think that they can actually regulate the black market. So far they haven't been able to do so. Judging from the number of hydroponic stores in the Sacto area and the scent of skunk on the street, there must be 10,000 growers in the Sacto area. Most probably only doing 10-20 plants. Enough for individual use and a little to fund the electricity bill.
 
The capitalists are getting their capital ready for the day it is totally legal. The 1 Billion tax grab will be just a percentage of the profits. Say maybe a 3-5 billion total injection of money into Cali economy.

The Pusherman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyZf4IElBs

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~!~!

Not even going to happen under current regs.

Farmers and manufacturers aren't going to work for free and the consumers aren't paying 1000 bucks an oz dumbass.

Much like WA and CO have already found out you can't make money by taxing/restricting a commodity into the black market.

What surprises me is that the folks in Sacramento think that they can actually regulate the black market. So far they haven't been able to do so.

As a grey market with just sales tax it has been the biggest money making crop CA has seen in a long time.

If they would just regulate safety/environment instead of trying to make a dozen rich guys ULTRA rich. They might be cooking with crisco.

But they are going to strangle their cash cow on day 1....

Judging from the number of hydroponic stores in the Sacto area and the scent of skunk on the street, there must be 10,000 growers in the Sacto area. Most probably only doing 10-20 plants. Enough for individual use and a little to fund the electricity bill.


And all that money is either gone or going to be used against the state.....because they are SO unbelievably fucking greedy they would rather destroy their number 1 cash crop industry than let common people pay their bills.

If they make me a winner I stay if not I'm out. California is the most poor people hating regressive shithead state government in the US by a long shot.

Hell even if I do win I'm exporting every penny I can and bouncing, which is a shame I love the weather and perfect 4 seasons in the mountains.
 
Last edited:
LOL California thinks farmers are going to work for free, or the privilege of generating revenue for CA and not themselves....they are idiots.

Isn't that how it works in Colorado though? There's a 2.9% sales tax and a 10% special sales tax on it. Not to mention the various fees. Even with all that tax Colorado still managed to record $996,184,788 in sales of pot (this includes medical) for 2015.

That's a billion dollar industry for one state. Why would other states not want to get in on that? Forget the small business versus big business fight -like what happened in Ohio- why would any business regardless of size not want in on the California market?

For once I'm not shit talking you and I'm trying to understand your position on this because to me it seems like a win-win. State gets tax revenue and businesses make money.
 
Medical marijuana linked to drop in Medicare prescriptions

A new study from the journal Health Affairs found that the availability of medical marijuana significantly correlates with lower rates of prescribing other drugs. The authors of the study, Ashley C. Bradford and W. David Bradford, looked at data on all prescriptions filled by patients with Medicare Part D from 2010 to 2013.

The researchers looked at prescribing patterns for medical conditions that states allow to be treated with medical marijuana, like anxiety, seizures and glaucoma.

In states where medical marijuana was legal, Medicare saved $165.2 million in 2013.

However, as NPR points out, insurance plans don’t cover marijuana, even in states where it has been legalized as a medication, because it is still a Schedule 1 drug under Federal law. So in some ways, the cost has not been “saved” but rather shifted to patients, who must pay for marijuana out of pocket (and sometimes experience many other difficulties obtaining it). But one of the study’s authors explained that if medical marijuana became a regular part of patient care nationally, money would still be saved overall, because marijuana is cheaper than other drugs.

Interesting that Weed is cheaper than other drugs and can be grown in the yard, if you don't have thieving neighbors.
 
Isn't that how it works in Colorado though?

Yes and no.

Yes we will be regulating/taxing it.

No because CA is going to make heavily regulated CO look like a libertarians unregulated paradise.

That's a billion dollar industry for one state. Why would other states not want to get in on that? why would any business regardless of size not want in on the California market?

Oh they do, that's why all the fighting in Sacramento.

Question is with the astro-fuckin-nomical taxes and red tape Cali is throwing at their number 1 cash crop will Californians pay when they can just go to their old source and get significantly more of an equal or better quality product for the same price??

I don't think they will. I think California, much like WA/CO, is going to have to tone it down a bit or they won't be regulating anything except money out of their own pockets.

For once I'm not shit talking you and I'm trying to understand your position on this because to me it seems like a win-win. State gets tax revenue and businesses make money.

It is a win win, if you allow the people some choice and not under such a heavy tax burden that the shit is simply not affordable for the consumers.

Otherwise you wind up like WA a few years ago, sitting on 58 TONS of weed that nobody is buying because California is providing better product at like 1/2 the price. ;)
 
Last edited:
A look at Trump’s attorney general pick’s hard-line stance against marijuana

Colleagues famously detailed in 1986 that Jeff Sessions, then a 39-year-old attorney in Alabama, said his main point of contention with the Ku Klux Klan was that they smoked weed. He said he thought the folks in the white supremacist hate group were "okay, until he learned that they smoked marijuana," according to testimony that resulted in Sessions being denied a federal judge position.

When I saw this , this morning, I decided it was time to write my new Senator and Diane to urge them to put a permanent block on his appointment. I'm just waiting until I can write them without calling Sessions a smug self satisfied scum bucket!
 
Frequent use of large amounts of marijuana is causing people to get sick and costing them thousands

As more and more states legalize marijuana for either medical or recreational use a new illness is popping up and confusing doctors who have little experience with it. The result has been “continuing agony and often receiving unneeded diagnostic testing and sometimes surgery exceeding $100,000,” according to The Missoulian.

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is what the new condition is called and it results in endless cycles of vomiting and intense abdominal pain. While the syndrome was in first written up in medical journals in 2004, many doctors and pot smokers have no idea what it is.

“You can think of it as a new or emerging disease,” said Dr. Eric Lavona, Denver Health Medical Center chief of emergency medicine. He urges his colleagues “not to trivialize it.”

“These folks are really suffering. They can get pretty sick. They vomit like crazy and make frequent emergency department visits because they just can’t stop vomiting.”

The average patient ends up visiting health clinics five times, makes several trips to emergency rooms and is ultimately hospitalized three or more times, Dr. Cecilia Sorensen, who conducted a study on the syndrome, reported to The Missoulian.
 
Recreational weed is now legal in MA.

1oz carry outside the home; 10oz possession in the home; legal to cultivate (defined as 6 plants I believe)

Time to go hydroponic.

Boston LitTogether?
 
Recreational weed is now legal in MA.

1oz carry outside the home; 10oz possession in the home; legal to cultivate (defined as 6 plants I believe)

Time to go hydroponic.

Boston LitTogether?

With LED's becoming more available it could be "very Green" to grow your own and cut into the profit of government selected growers, thereby driving the price down and making medicine available to more suffering folks.

Small Hydro systems can be built very easily and yield a 'crop' every three weeks in a rotation of Clone, Veg and Flower.
 
Don't hold your breath: fully legalized pot could still be years away

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cannabis-pot-weed-legal-1.3894284

Legislation to make pot legal will hit the House of Commons come spring, but the day when recreational marijuana becomes officially available to buy across the country could still be years away.

"I think one of the things we were struck by was how complex this transition actually is, and not only in terms of drafting legislation at the federal and provincial levels and putting in place all the infrastructure and training, but the psychological transition," former deputy prime minister Anne McLellan told CBC News Network's Power & Politics host Rosemary Barton.

"Going from something that has been prohibited for decades, to a world where it's a legalized product, sold in a regulated market — so the transition is going to be enormous," said McLellan, the chair of the federal government's cannabis task force.

The Department of Justice Canada will first have to embark on a widespread effort to change the Criminal Code and other related federal laws — that effort will kick off in the spring. But what that new law will look like and what kinds of challenges it will face as it moves through Parliament remain a mystery for now.
 
Back
Top