how to/where to suggest new ideas for literotica ?

whismerhill

Virgin
Joined
May 11, 2012
Posts
6
I don't know where to post new ideas and such for literotica future

for example
one thing I would really love is to add a wordcount or pagecount to stories

reason is if you're looking for a certain lenght one will find:
-stories of 1 chapter with 3 pages
-stories of 1 chapter with 20 pages
-stories of 10 chapters (you think it's long ?) with a half page for each chapter

and so on

another example :
-dynamic loading of pages (you reach the last 5~10% of a page it loads the next without having to click anything)
-dynamic loading of chapters (same when you reach the end of a chapter)

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I would NOT want dynamic loading of pages. The computer does enough "automatically" that makes me smash my keyboard with my fists while saying "STOP IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW YOU MOTHER FUCKING SHITHEAD!" that I don't need more. Honestly, I go through too many keyboards that way! :rolleyes:

Google autoload with it's "oh! I know what to do! I know you're a dumb shit so let me autofinish what I think you are writing even though I haven't got a fucking clue!" that makes me pretty much avoid google at all costs.

Usually, I go to the extreme of copy/pasting prewritten text into the search field so that autofinish shit doesn't work. (Yes, I know all the ways I can try to get that to not autocomplete and it isn't worth it - you have to go through it each time you update your browser)


As for the page count idea, I like that idea because I can't stand one page stories, but seriously, I doubt they will ever implement something like that. personally I would say it would be better if it just said:
Show all stories between X pages and Y pages.
Where X is the minimum and Y is the maximum.
 
are you sure you know what's "dynamic loading of pages" ? (not trying to sound like an ass, just asking for the sake of being sure)
here's an example with a website dynamically loading thumbs of wallpapers http://wallbase.cc/toplist (notice if you scroll down the "page" never ends until all search results were shown)

I fail to see how it could hurt or annoy you so if you would elaborate ?

as for google autoload & autocomplete that I can understand
but well I use firefox and don't have that problem, they are disabled and stay disabled through updates
might want to change your browser or look for a fix or something.

I'm glad you think the same of my page count idea xD
 
Last edited:
In answer to your original question, this thread is as good as any way to suggest changes. The General Board might be better because Laurel is seen most often there. You could PM Manu, who handles the technical side of site management, but don't expect a speedy response, if any.

are you sure you know what's "dynamic loading of pages" ? (not trying to sound like an ass, just asking for the sake of being sure)
here's an example with a website dynamically loading thumbs of wallpapers http://wallbase.cc/toplist (notice if you scroll down the "page" never ends until all search results were shown)

Dynamic loading is not a real problem for a site like that. For a story site, it would tend to remove the cues for taking a break, checking mail, or bookmarking the page for later. It might be good as an option, but like LWulf, it would drive me crazy when applied to stories.

As for your page count idea, I suspect it would be easier (and faster) to implement a filesize flag on the story index listings. Actually counting words or pages would take a lot more processor time and programming effort -- doable, but filesize is easy and fast and does essentially the same thing in allowing comparison and/or sorting based on length.
 
are you sure you know what's "dynamic loading of pages" ? (not trying to sound like an ass, just asking for the sake of being sure)
here's an example with a website dynamically loading thumbs of wallpapers http://wallbase.cc/toplist (notice if you scroll down the "page" never ends until all search results were shown)

I fail to see how it could hurt or annoy you so if you would elaborate ?

as for google autoload & autocomplete that I can understand
but well I use firefox and don't have that problem, they are disabled and stay disabled through updates
might want to change your browser or look for a fix or something.

I'm glad you think the same of my page count idea xD

The worst thing that they could do to this website is change it over to PDF. Some people are so turned on by PDF, I know this might end up being the way stuff goes in the future. I will probably disconnect from the internet when that happens. PDF also sucks dogs balls on load times.
I know, you didn't mention PDF but that's how I see what you are talking about. Either that or twitter. You scroll down and suddenly it adds on more pages. the screen jumps and then you have to scroll back to where you were last, so you can continue on. That's frustrating.
Call me old fashioned but I like turning pages. It reminds me of reading a book which is how a story should pan out.
There's so many people out there trying to find automatic ways to do things, and honestly, if it made sense, I'd back it. I just hate changing everything over to automatic because tech people have nothing else better to do. It's frustrating more often than not. That's my thoughts on it.

Like weirdharold I like to bookmark pages. Some stories I get into are 10-15 Lit pages long. Roughly, that's 30-45 word pages. Sometimes I can't read all those pages, so I bookmark. You can't do that with dynamic pages. You can't also do a word search on a dynamic page (unless all the pages have loaded).

Yup, I got firefox too, well, firefox Aurora. I did the whole disable for google but when the browser needs to do a whole program update, it resets to factory default on that sort of thing. It's easier for me to just take my own shortcuts. Thanks though.
 
filesize would be fine by me, although word count or page count could just be added as an additional stored property if processing time is an issue, it would only need to be calculated once per story and then on each update or new file.

so Weird Harold, when you read a real paper book you only take a break at the end of the book ? xD
just kidding ;)

I thought of this idea because in fact I already use a greasemonkey script which loads everything (all pages and all chapters) alas it's not perfect cause it sometimes removes author name from the top page and also it strips the ratings, which is a bother to me since that means having to reload each chapter individually go to the final page & rate.
unfortunately I can't link to it anymore cause userscripts.org is down forever it seems.
If we could have that as an option it would be the best of both worlds ;)

as for bookmarking to remember where you were in the story, why don't you just keep it open ? firefox WILL remember where you were if the session was saved (it works fine on literotica with my script, and also on wallbase too)

ho and if you really wanna close your webpage, may I dare suggest an alternative ?
saving a session !!
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/session-manager/
it saves everything unlike bookmarks and you can restore part of it or the whole of it too ;)
 
Back
Top