how to place photos in replies to members

beddog

Experienced
I am having trouble downloading pics to replies to people that I am conversing with when I push the insert image it comes up and says to "Please insert the URL of the image". I have presumed I have done that but the pics aren't sent. What shows on the page is IMG then file name of pic followed by IMG. Would appreciate all the help I can get, not all that savvy with the internet, etc....thank you.....beddog

You can only hot link pictures in PM replies. It has to reside at a website somewhere on the web and be a fully formed URL, not just a picture file name on your computer somewhere.

Example:

Wrong: C:/johnspictures/image.jpg

Correct"

HTML:
[IMG]http://connorgmadison.com/thumbnails/CalloftheDoveThumb.jpg[/IMG]

CalloftheDoveThumb.jpg

Now you could attach it to a post in the forums and then reference the attachment URL here on lit. Of course then everyone in the forums can see it. Although I guess you could delete the post with the attachment link in it.

Last edited:
Now you could attach it to a post in the forums and then reference the attachment URL here on lit. Of course then everyone in the forums can see it. Although I guess you could delete the post with the attachment link in it.

It's not a guarantee that nobody will see an attachment, but it is possible to edit an old post to add an attachment.

Find your oldest post on the GB (or playground) (in a thread that isn't active) and edit that post to attach the image you want to send in a PM. Copy the attachment URL, hotlink it to your PM reply, and wait for confirmation it has been saved. Then you can go back and edit your old post again and remove the attachment.

Adding an attachment to your post does NOT bump a thread and very few people go back more than thirty days or so in the busiest forums (GB, playground, etc) so the chance of anyone stumbling over your attachment is low.

Adding an attachment to your post does NOT bump a thread and very few people go back more than thirty days or so in the busiest forums (GB, playground, etc) so the chance of anyone stumbling over your attachment is low.

Except if that post is the first on the thread and the user has posts display in chronological order and not reverse chronological order. Then everyone that goes into that thread will see the link.

Except if that post is the first on the thread and the user has posts display in chronological order and not reverse chronological order. Then everyone that goes into that thread will see the link.
Minor detail; if the thread is over about four pages back, most people won't bother. If the post is a thread starter and you're worried about mouse-overs revealing the existance of an attachment, the paperclip icon is going to show and make access to all attachments in a thread dead simple.

Just pick the forum, thread and post to edit with all of your paranoia guiding you, and Murphy's Law will still get it bumped to the top and quoted by some necro-poster. :p

IOW, if you're that worried about the wrong people seeing your picture, don't post it.

Minor detail; if the thread is over about four pages back, most people won't bother. If the post is a thread starter and you're worried about mouse-overs revealing the existance of an attachment, the paperclip icon is going to show and make access to all attachments in a thread dead simple.

Just pick the forum, thread and post to edit with all of your paranoia guiding you, and Murphy's Law will still get it bumped to the top and quoted by some necro-poster. :p

IOW, if you're that worried about the wrong people seeing your picture, don't post it.

Or, you could have your own website and link the picture from there.

You can only hot link pictures in PM replies. It has to reside at a website somewhere on the web and be a fully formed URL, not just a picture file name on your computer somewhere.

Example:

Wrong: C:/johnspictures/image.jpg

Correct"

HTML:

CalloftheDoveThumb.jpg

Thread jack:

I like how you were able to post: (trying this)

HTML:

and have it show up in its full form, no "remove stars" instructions. Usually when I try to explain this stuff it feels like charades because if I show them what to do it does the thing I am trying to demonstrate but not the behind the scenes source code.

Is that tag HTML saying "I want you to actually type this HTML out?" That seems counter intuitive.

Thread jack:

I like how you were able to post: (trying this)

HTML:

and have it show up in its full form, no "remove stars" instructions. Usually when I try to explain this stuff it feels like charades because if I show them what to do it does the thing I am trying to demonstrate but not the behind the scenes source code.

Is that tag HTML saying "I want you to actually type this HTML out?" That seems counter intuitive.

If you look at the top of the edit box there are three icons, the # <> and PHP. All three are wrappers for code you don't want executed. vBulletin forum software understands all three, yet here at Lit they have turned off HTML and PHP. The # icon is just a simple wrapper for other types of code.

Seeing as how I wanted to show VB code to the OP, I just wrapped it in the <> html code so that it wouldn't be executed by the software.

I then just pasted the same code without the html wrapper.

Back