Who Taught You To Write?

Honestly, I taught myself. I used other writers' stories I read in school books, at an early age, as a template of sorts to properly relay what's in my head to what comes thought my hands onto paper or a keyboard.

Perhaps my spirit guides. Sometimes I'm just compelled to write and I don't know why.

Good question. "Huckleberry Finn" was 1 of the first 3 I read as a child. Possibly the 1st one.

I think it's banned now. It was among a list of choices as required reading when I wuz studying English Literature in 8th, or 9th grade.

Good question. "Huckleberry Finn" was 1 of the first 3 I read as a child. Possibly the 1st one.

I think it's banned now. It was among a list of choices as required reading when I wuz studying English Literature in 8th, or 9th grade.

The whole book spins around the premise that nonsense rules us.

No one taught me to write. I fling words at the wall and see what sticks. I've always been a story teller in my head. Putting it on paper ain't much different. It just takes longer.

No one taught me to write. I fling words at the wall and see what sticks. I've always been a story teller in my head. Putting it on paper ain't much different. It just takes longer.

Fess up and shame the Devil; MD2020 did it all while you were passed out.

Fess up and shame the Devil; MD2020 did it all while you were passed out.

Sorry, JBJ, but I don't think I've even seen a bottle of Mad Dog since the late 60's. They say that stuff will make you blind. Is that your problem?

Self taught. That's not to say as time went on I didn't pick up things from others or ask for and take advice, but in the beginning I just did my own thing.

I'm glad I did when I see how obsessed some here-and other places-are about writing in whatever way is 'popular' and trying to mimic the style of others

I'll also publicly admit-to fly in the face of his many detractors-that I learned more than a few things from some guy named James B Johnson.

Thanks old Hoss.

I read too much David Eddings, Terry Goodkind (I really hope I don't write like him!), JRRT, Robert Jordan (or him!), Piers Anthony ... before I tried to write stuff. Sos I get a bit wordy at times, but when I try to not it just feels shallow - like there is more to be said and experienced and is cheating the reader to leave it out.
Some peoples likes the details, some doesn't.
(No, I doesn't write the way I talks - I takes lots more times to make it real English than I is willing to put into posts on a forum :D.)

I've been blessed to have many good teachers, and I like to think I learned something from all of them. I still remember words of criticism and of praise from them, and to this day I can imagine them sitting on my shoulder giving me advice about what I'm doing.

At the same time, some of my earliest memories are of stories I wrote as a kid, with little guidance, just driven by a spark of creativity, trying to put the ideas coming from somewhere in my head to paper (back when I used paper to write).

It helps, I think, to have good teachers, but you learn so much about writing, or about any artistic endeavor, just by doing it on your own. Writing is such a lonely activity that without that internal drive, without the compulsion to teach oneself, I don't see how you could do it.

I read too much David Eddings, Terry Goodkind (I really hope I don't write like him!), JRRT, Robert Jordan (or him!), Piers Anthony ... before I tried to write stuff. Sos I get a bit wordy at times, but when I try to not it just feels shallow - like there is more to be said and experienced and is cheating the reader to leave it out.
Some peoples likes the details, some doesn't.
(No, I doesn't write the way I talks - I takes lots more times to make it real English than I is willing to put into posts on a forum :D.)

Eddings. I loved the Belgariad, read them in my teens. Unfortunately everything good about that series he ruined by writing the sequel the Mallorean whose entire premise was...okay that prophecy? well....there's another prophecy. Garion is the fulfillment of the prophecy? Um, no he's not! Then screwing with his characters, especially borderline emasculating Silk.

Just me, writing; and then a few people came along and said, "You know, you're not bad at what you do," so I paid attention and kept on doing whatever it is I do.

I'm pretty sure everyone who writes teaches themselves. You can be influenced, you can pbe taught style and grammar and all the rest but you still need to learn for yourself how to put that together in a story.

Back