How to get the spark and connection into my relationship

Lueretius

Really Experienced
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Posts
152
Ok so I apologise in advance as this may be a little disjointed.

So a bit of background. My partner and I have been together for 3 years, she has two kids from a previous marriage, both under 8 and we have an 8 week old now. She is a stay at home mum and I work full-time. We are comfortable although are working hard towards a pretty significant financial goal that we are both making sacrifices to achieve. I do my best to help with cookin housework and taking care of the kids and tend to do most cooking and cleaning on the weekends to make up for how much she does during the week, as well as take night shift with bubs feeding over the weekend to give my partner as much rest as possible.

In the beginning our sex life was amazing and we were affectionate and intimate with each other. Text messages where addressed as hun or love, beloved or any number of other pet names a good by kiss was all but mandatory, the flowers I brought her meant something and needed to be displayed in the middle of the house for all to see, joint showers were an excuse to light candles and touch each other without need of sex at the end (although it often ended that way), nights watching tv had to be spent entwined enjoying each other's company. Sexually we clicked, we're both switches and happily took turns being top (we both tend towards submissive) we experimented and had fun. At that point even if one of us wasn't in the mood for sex and the other was, oral or hands or controlling any of the toys was always on offer.
But over the last 12 -18 months all that has dried up. I can't remember the last time she called me something other then my name a kiss when it happens is on my cheek. We still have moments as is evident by the birth of bubs, but most of the affection we once shared seems to have gone, now when I light the candles for a shower, it's too much hassle, the flowers get moved off to the side and end up wilting in days because they sit beside the stove and cook, sex is almost always missionary in the dark with any attempts at foreplay by me rebuked as she just pulls me on top to stop me kissing and exploring her. And God's help me if I want a handjob or oral (giving or receiving).

I know she has had bouts of depression and I have done everything in my power to help her and help her move on from the causes and she has always had body image issues as she is slightly overweight and her ex-husband belittling her, however I thought that we had made tremendous gains in improving her self esteem.

But things are coming to boiling point. I can for the most part live without sex in our life, it sucks and it's really hard and I do miss and crave it, but a low libido is just part and parcel of life sometimes, but the affection and joy that we once took in each other, that is what I miss, I've tried spontaneous kid free date nights, tried sending poetry and flowers and small gifts, foot rubs and massages. But nothing seems to fan the fast dying embers.

I'm not prepared to give up and I will not cheat, I want this relationship to last, grow and get better. I know I'm not perfect and there are many things I do that causes friction.

But for those of you out there, how did you relight the flame when it started to die from the pressure of life?
 
she has two kids from a previous marriage, both under 8 and we have an 8 week old now. She is a stay at home mum and I work full-time.

and that is the problem right there - YOU

She has just had a baby you dimwit!!!! You working "full time" does not provide you entitlement, her working from home as a stay at home mum with three children, one an 8 week old baby probably makes her way more exhausted than you at the end of the day.

You imposing your shit of "I need" upon her, on top of her being exhausted, will turn you into a big pile of unattractiveness.

Maybe time for you to go back to your mother to get some more advice on growing up. When there ask her how keen she would have been to have your father being pushy when you were 8 weeks old.

As for
when I light the candles for a shower, it's too much hassle, the flowers get moved off to the side and end up wilting in days because they sit beside the stove and cook
...she will see through your ruse of negotiating for sex - it is all about poor you isn't it? For fuck sake why are you not caring for the flowers? You bought them.

From what you write you come across as a monumental annoyance. You want sex for you, you want to receive sex, have pleasure provided to poor you - no wonder she wants sex over and done with asap.

You want to fix this? Then stop your poor me me me nonsense, grow up, grow a pair and get some advice fast on how not only to be a husband, but a father as well. You have a family and you have responsibilities and you are fucking it all up for everyone.

Right now you should be worshipping your partner for what she has provided and the new life in your family. You are acting like a pregnancy, child birth and child rearing is a monumental intrusion on your god given right as a male to be sexed.

Stop negotiating for sex - you need to display to her that you are there for her and your family as a loving partner and father, not someone who views them as an inconvenience because you are not getting your hand-job or whatever. Your partner needs support, love and appreciation but you just want to get your rocks off.

I wonder how giving you ever were with sex? Maybe she just finds you boring and bothersome.
 
Ok so I apologise in advance as this may be a little disjointed.

So a bit of background. My partner and I have been together for 3 years, she has two kids from a previous marriage, both under 8 and we have an 8 week old now. She is a stay at home mum and I work full-time. We are comfortable although are working hard towards a pretty significant financial goal that we are both making sacrifices to achieve. I do my best to help with cookin housework and taking care of the kids and tend to do most cooking and cleaning on the weekends to make up for how much she does during the week, as well as take night shift with bubs feeding over the weekend to give my partner as much rest as possible.

In the beginning our sex life was amazing and we were affectionate and intimate with each other. Text messages where addressed as hun or love, beloved or any number of other pet names a good by kiss was all but mandatory, the flowers I brought her meant something and needed to be displayed in the middle of the house for all to see, joint showers were an excuse to light candles and touch each other without need of sex at the end (although it often ended that way), nights watching tv had to be spent entwined enjoying each other's company. Sexually we clicked, we're both switches and happily took turns being top (we both tend towards submissive) we experimented and had fun. At that point even if one of us wasn't in the mood for sex and the other was, oral or hands or controlling any of the toys was always on offer.
But over the last 12 -18 months all that has dried up. I can't remember the last time she called me something other then my name a kiss when it happens is on my cheek. We still have moments as is evident by the birth of bubs, but most of the affection we once shared seems to have gone, now when I light the candles for a shower, it's too much hassle, the flowers get moved off to the side and end up wilting in days because they sit beside the stove and cook, sex is almost always missionary in the dark with any attempts at foreplay by me rebuked as she just pulls me on top to stop me kissing and exploring her. And God's help me if I want a handjob or oral (giving or receiving).

I know she has had bouts of depression and I have done everything in my power to help her and help her move on from the causes and she has always had body image issues as she is slightly overweight and her ex-husband belittling her, however I thought that we had made tremendous gains in improving her self esteem.

But things are coming to boiling point. I can for the most part live without sex in our life, it sucks and it's really hard and I do miss and crave it, but a low libido is just part and parcel of life sometimes, but the affection and joy that we once took in each other, that is what I miss, I've tried spontaneous kid free date nights, tried sending poetry and flowers and small gifts, foot rubs and massages. But nothing seems to fan the fast dying embers.

I'm not prepared to give up and I will not cheat, I want this relationship to last, grow and get better. I know I'm not perfect and there are many things I do that causes friction.

But for those of you out there, how did you relight the flame when it started to die from the pressure of life?

Have you tried talking with her? I know it's a pretty leftfield suggestion ... but you never know, you might actually find out what the problem is. If there is a problem ... maybe she's just busy in her mind with other things, like all the kids and the house and stuff?
 
You're in luck!

First off..calm down. You guys JUST HAD A BABY!!!! The entire pregnancy and post pardum period of time for woman is VERY REAL. I've done it several times. The first time I didn't feel normal for almost a year, after that was faster but with a whole new slew of other things things going on.

Everything that is happening with you two right now is TEMPORARY....

I recommend your wife go ask her doctor about supplements (personally I take Holy basil, Siberian ginseng and Rhodiola).

But for real...calm down...be patient.... don't freak out...feel free to pm me if you're still worried.
 
Additional, here's some in the moment advice...

1. Say thank you, all the time. No kidding, that's how I pulled out of the rut the first time around. She's probably overwhelmed on every level possible. Just start saying thank anytime she does anything you appreciate. I'll bet in no time she'll start saying it back, and it's a great way to start feeling connected again, by appreciating each other.

2. Just treat her the way you want the two of you to treat each other, but don't expect her to reciprocate for at least a few more months, just lay the groundwork though for the direction you want to take things, so that when life calms down you both can hit the ground running (emotionally speaking).

3. Just remember 'this too shall pass' Welcome to the parenting club! * congratulatory handshake and hug*
 
She just had a baby. Women's hormone levels go wacky after they have a baby and I think in most cases, they have little to no sex drive. This is the body's way of protecting them from getting pregnant again right away. It takes some time for the body to get back to normal. Now I was probably the exception there. If anything I got more horny after I had the baby but I have found that my body seems not to be normal in many regards.

You also mention that she is depressed. This could be post-partum depression. It's a very real thing and there isn't a lot that can be done about it. In some cases, therapy or meds can help but mostly you just have to wait it out for a year or even two for her body to get back to normal.

And then there is the baby. Once a woman has a baby, her priorities often change. While you might have been her priority before, now the baby will be. That's natural as well.

You mention that you have been pitching in with various things around the house. This may or may not work for her. In general, it doesn't work for me and if anything, it stresses me out further. Now maybe you are a good cook. I don't know. My ex was not and I would just as soon not have to eat anything he might cook or worse still, the pizza he would be more likely to have delivered. I also didn't like him doing stuff in the kitchen. Things would get broken, put in the wrong place, thrown away, left out, or he would just plain leave a horrible mess, all the while claiming that he had cleaned it up.

My ex also had a habit of doing things at the wrong time. Such as mopping the kitchen floor when I needed to get in there or running the vac and annoying me with the noise and the dust it kicked up while I was trying to relax. In other words, any time he was home, there was no relaxing to be had by anyone!

Also, once you have a child, the dynamics of your relationship are going to change. Don't expect it ever to get back to what it once was. Chances are, it won't! There are just some things that you used to do that you no longer will be able to. This was discussed recently in the Podcast that PLP made.

When I was pregnant, I went to a forum for pregnant women and had to laugh at some of the things I read there. One woman said that she and her husband liked to travel the world and they backpacked around and stayed in hostels. Someone pointed out that they'd have to stop doing this once they had the baby. She said that would never happen. She wasn't going to let the baby stop her. She would just strap the baby on her back and keep on hiking. She obviously never had to deal with a baby before.

Best you can do is be supportive of her. Don't assume that what you are doing is helpful to her. It may or may not be. Try asking her what she wants from you. Maybe what she really needs is a massage or to have you watch the baby so she can take a nap. Or maybe she wants you to just leave the house for an hour or two so she can have some peace. If one can have peace with a baby. I couldn't with mine as she had colic and cried and needed to be held more than anything.

Hang in there. Things will get better. It just might take a year or two. Sad to say but that is the truth./
 
Back
Top