Proposing a NEW chain story start-up!

pacifist91w

Experienced
We are going to start a new chain story! The setting is "Ste. Vivienne's Clinic"--a fictitious medical facility that offers consultations, therapies, and out-patient services. (There are no overnight stays.)

The writing guidelines are simple.
A) Describe the hijinks, events, and/or conversations in a particular department at a particular time.
B) Keep the story from becoming dark. Obviously, it can't all be light-hearted and whimsical, but try to keep the chain story fun and entertaining. For some departments, this will be quite a challenge. That's part of the reason I'd like to take "Oncology" myself!
C) If you can't (or don't want to) contribute to the story now--but would like to eventually--there is probably no need to worry. I'm hoping that Lauren will allow us to keep this chain open-ended after we have begun it.

Timeline so far:
Oncology - _PACIFIST91W_ - June 1, 2014
Physical therapy - _TRIXAREFORKIDS_ - June 5, 2014
Counseling - _WONDERER4_ - June 9, 2014

Departments (and suggestions on a scenario!)
Dermatology -
("doctor, the skin above my clitoris has been red and swollen....")
Pulmonary -
(patient has to have her "lungs" examined)
Cardiology -
(testing heart function? treadmills are good, but something else can raise the heart rate!)
Endocrinology -
("doctor, is my estrogen (or testosterone) TOO high?")
Lab -
(breaking up the monotony of analyzing results)
Immunization -
(going to venezuela? you need a big shot in the backside!)
Radiology -
(can't take pictures of your lower spine if you're clothed)
Ear, nose, and throat -
(patient has chronic laryngitis. what can soothe it?)
Podiatry -
(fetish: patient's feet are fine, but they're so cute! doctor has ethical problem, wanting to see more of them)
Urology -
(fetish: do i need to say it?)
Administration -
Obstetrics/Gynecology -
(pregnancy can be arousing....)
General practice -
Optometry/Ophthalmology -
(getting lost in the patient's eyes....)
Orthopedics -
Massage therapy -
(do i need to say it twice?)
Neurology -
Fertility/virility -
(do i need to say it thrice?)
Internal medicine -
Proctology -
(fetish: do i need to say it a fourth time?)
Gift and floral shop -
(patients really appreciate getting chocolates and flowers....)

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun project. I have too much on my plate to play right now. Sorry. :(

Thank you!

Sounds interesting!

I'm glad to hear that and I appreciate your comment. You're invited to write, of course! I know you haven't got any stories posted at this time, but I also have noticed how prolific you are on the boards. It would be an honor if you would try out the chain!

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest!

Sounds like a fun project. I have too much on my plate to play right now. Sorry. :(

I'm grateful for the feedback, dear author! I know how it is with the "full dance card" myself. If I'm lucky enough to get interest and get the chain started, I hope you would eventually give us a contribution, even if you can't do it at present. No pressure, of course!

I appreciate the attention! (Especially coming from a prolific chain story writer like yourself.) Do you think it could work?

If I'm being honest it's going to be a bit of a tough sell all things considered. Most of the people on this site (myself included) are at best passingly familiar with various medical practices. Other than maybe ear, nose and throat none of those things sound sexy.

Look at the successful chains stories, There's an Olympics one, Fairy Tales, Video Games and Lustful Lyrics. Everybody is familiar with a lot of fairy tales, video games and music. It makes it easy to get a group of authors gathered around here. Most are less familiar with the medical terms and have even less clue how to make it sexy.

That said this could work and I'll definitely keep an eye on this. I think you'd be better off however backing off the specific departments and instead making the chain story something that's tied to a location so we can all sort of swap characters around. It makes the first couple of chapters a little more difficult because we need to either work together or at least communicate enough to keep from tripping over each other, but ultimate better down the roat. It works something like this in my head.

St. Ronnies is the only hospital that services the Tri-State area and it's known for it's outstanding service blah blah blah. What the general public doesn't know is that it's not just a regular hospital and the amazing results aren't solely due to amazing doctors. Keeping people happy is as important to saving lives as anything else. Enter the naughty nurses who give sponge baths in the nude, and sometimes tongue baths if you're really dirty. Look at the orderlies who cure female onset depression by showing them that men do find them them absolutely irresistable. Did you know that keeping positive blood flow causes broken bones to heal 70% faster? Well our doctors know exactly how to get the blood flowing. Would you prefer your temprature taking orally? Anally? One then the other? We'll figure out what makes you hot!

From there establish something like Scrubs or House. Do those guys even really have departments or are they kinda sorta all purpose super doctors? The less you define concretely the more wiggle room you give everybody else.

That's my two cents worth.

I'm glad to hear that and I appreciate your comment. You're invited to write, of course! I know you haven't got any stories posted at this time, but I also have noticed how prolific you are on the boards. It would be an honor if you would try out the chain!

Thank you. I haven't thought of myself as being prolific on the boards, but I now have my own bean counter who counts my comments, so you could be right. ;)

What I like about your idea is that you're looking for lighter, fun stories, and that's always a plus to me. If I were going to write a story, I would choose radiation or fertility issues. I've dealt with both and there were comedic--some dark and some light--scenes with both experiences. I would like to write, but given the little energy I have working a physically demanding job, it's not realistic, unfortunately.

I do hope you get other writers interested in your idea, though!

:rose:

Thank you. I haven't thought of myself as being prolific on the boards, but I now have my own bean counter who counts my comments, so you could be right. ;)
^^^ Does not think herself prolific. Been here two years, has nearly 15k posts.
>>> Does think himself prolific. Been here ten years,has shy of 28k. :rolleyes:

Food for thought, to be sure!

If I'm being honest it's going to be a bit of a tough sell all things considered. Most of the people on this site (myself included) are at best passingly familiar with various medical practices. Other than maybe ear, nose and throat none of those things sound sexy.

Look at the successful chains stories, There's an Olympics one, Fairy Tales, Video Games and Lustful Lyrics. Everybody is familiar with a lot of fairy tales, video games and music. It makes it easy to get a group of authors gathered around here. Most are less familiar with the medical terms and have even less clue how to make it sexy.

That said this could work and I'll definitely keep an eye on this. I think you'd be better off however backing off the specific departments and instead making the chain story something that's tied to a location so we can all sort of swap characters around. It makes the first couple of chapters a little more difficult because we need to either work together or at least communicate enough to keep from tripping over each other, but ultimate better down the roat. It works something like this in my head.

St. Ronnies is the only hospital that services the Tri-State area and it's known for it's outstanding service blah blah blah. What the general public doesn't know is that it's not just a regular hospital and the amazing results aren't solely due to amazing doctors. Keeping people happy is as important to saving lives as anything else. Enter the naughty nurses who give sponge baths in the nude, and sometimes tongue baths if you're really dirty. Look at the orderlies who cure female onset depression by showing them that men do find them them absolutely irresistable. Did you know that keeping positive blood flow causes broken bones to heal 70% faster? Well our doctors know exactly how to get the blood flowing. Would you prefer your temprature taking orally? Anally? One then the other? We'll figure out what makes you hot!

From there establish something like Scrubs or House. Do those guys even really have departments or are they kinda sorta all purpose super doctors? The less you define concretely the more wiggle room you give everybody else.

That's my two cents worth.

Thanks--you've given me a valuable second perspective (worth far more than two cents!). I've added some detail to the proposal to see if perhaps more writers will be interested.

Very nice of you!

What I like about your idea is that you're looking for lighter, fun stories, and that's always a plus to me. If I were going to write a story, I would choose radiation or fertility issues. I've dealt with both and there were comedic--some dark and some light--scenes with both experiences. I would like to write, but given the little energy I have working a physically demanding job, it's not realistic, unfortunately.

I do hope you get other writers interested in your idea, though!

Thanks for the well wishes. (And I hope your job doesn't take that much of your energy forever!) With medical issues, it's all too easy to get really serious or depressing, so I'm glad you approve of the spirit of the proposal.

^^^ Does not think herself prolific. Been here two years, has nearly 15k posts.
>>> Does think himself prolific. Been here ten years,has shy of 28k. :rolleyes:

I enjoy talking to people. I do appreciate the fact that you stopped calling me a cunt on the forums. It shows progress.

Thanks for the well wishes. (And I hope your job doesn't take that much of your energy forever!) With medical issues, it's all too easy to get really serious or depressing, so I'm glad you approve of the spirit of the proposal.

I enjoy talking to people. I do appreciate the fact that you stopped calling me a cunt on the forums. It shows progress.

I equally appreciate that you stopped being a cunt. It shows much greater progress. If nothing else can be said about me it's that I don't take swipes at people who aren't acting like asses. Hell for the most part I don't even take swipes at people who ARE.

Spent a few months in a pediatric ICU ward with my sister. The nurses only have 1-2 patients and lots of free time on the night shift. Lots of shenanigans going on there. I might be in for a piece of this.

I equally appreciate that you stopped being a cunt. It shows much greater progress. If nothing else can be said about me it's that I don't take swipes at people who aren't acting like asses. Hell for the most part I don't even take swipes at people who ARE.

The way I see it Sean is that you're one more misogynist who believes he can call a woman whatever he wants when she says things he doesn't agree with because you think it's your divine right as a male. You can think or believe whatever you want.

OP Good luck again with your idea. And my apologies for turning your thread into something it wasn't intended for.

Thank you for the response!

Spent a few months in a pediatric ICU ward with my sister. The nurses only have 1-2 patients and lots of free time on the night shift. Lots of shenanigans going on there. I might be in for a piece of this.

Whoa--just a few words and you already have me wondering what was happening! I didn't put "Pediatric" on the department list because people might assume that children would be involved in the story, but a person with an imagination could easily see how this often wouldn't be true.
So if you chose to join this chain story, would you write for "pediatric," or choose another department?

Whoa--just a few words and you already have me wondering what was happening! I didn't put "Pediatric" on the department list because people might assume that children would be involved in the story, but a person with an imagination could easily see how this often wouldn't be true.
So if you chose to join this chain story, would you write for "pediatric," or choose another department?

LOL, someone is PMing me and I thought it was someone from this post. Oops. Think I may have just accidentally led someone on cause when I just scrolled back down they're not on here.

Anywhore, I'm game for pretty much anything. I know what a PICU unit looks like and how it operates, some about PT as well so I could do either or something else. Gotta get the basic premise flushed out.

Have you ever seen the movie Night Shift with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton? They worked in the morgue an odd couple pair and MK starts renting the place out for parties. Something along those lines could be a fun premise. Then people wouldn't have to really know much medical at all, just work in what the do know into settings they like...

B) Keep the story from becoming dark. Obviously, it can't all be light-hearted and whimsical, but try to keep the chain story fun and entertaining.

More or less rules me out, even if I didn't have the shit-load of work currently on my plate.

Thank you for the reply!

More or less rules me out, even if I didn't have the shit-load of work currently on my plate.

I hear what you're saying; thanks for your interest and your reply. That said, if you want to try a different vein, you're welcome to experiment!

By all means, please make a premise!

Anywhore, I'm game for pretty much anything. I know what a PICU unit looks like and how it operates, some about PT as well so I could do either or something else. Gotta get the basic premise flushed out.

Have you ever seen the movie Night Shift with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton? They worked in the morgue an odd couple pair and MK starts renting the place out for parties. Something along those lines could be a fun premise. Then people wouldn't have to really know much medical at all, just work in what the do know into settings they like...

If you'd like "physical therapy" or some similar department, just let me know once you decide and you shall have it! As for _Night_Shift_, I haven't seen it; but I like your idea about keeping people from having to know too much about medicine. That's what I've done in my "oncology" story so far!

If you'd like "physical therapy" or some similar department, just let me know once you decide and you shall have it! As for _Night_Shift_, I haven't seen it; but I like your idea about keeping people from having to know too much about medicine. That's what I've done in my "oncology" story so far!

UGH, wish I knew LESS about oncology!

I'll keep paying attention to this thread cus I'd like to write for this if things clear up or if it looks like it needs one more. If that happens hit me up and I'll make time.

Me too....

UGH, wish I knew LESS about oncology!

I didn't have it, but my grandmother and mother both did....

With regard to the story; we can't start it until I let the moderator know when I expect these first few links of the chain finished and ready for posting. (This is my first chain story, so I made a mistake and forgot to mention that. I'm sorry!) So if you could tell me which department and roughly when you think you could have it finished, I would appreciate it very much! (I'm shooting for June 1 on my "Oncology" story.)

Back