Jungle Mystery (Closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,437
5988e20d.jpg


Tales circled through the villages... stories used to grab the attention of outsiders and draw them in so they would go and hunt for myths and legends. Spending lots of money along the way. The latest tale that had the outsiders buzzing was that of a woman with skin kissed by the sun so perfectly to blend with the wild landscapes of plains forest and Jungle. Living amongst the wild animals as if one of them. Protecting the isolated villages and villagers though she was clearly not of these lands. She was not of these lands went the stories... Looking more like the Europeans who flooded their lands for Queen and crown to civilize the savages and bring order to lands claimed by the crown

Many a soldier and fortune hunter trekked into the wilds in search of this beauty for a vast array of reasons but thus far those who made it back always returned empty handed. The Natives believed the outsiders would aways return empty handed keeping the mystery and allure of the wilds and lost ruins safe for a very long time.

The villagers called her Keria and they are more than willing to tell the outsiders it is a losse translation to their language of Death spirit. That she kills those that bring harm and devour their soul to renew her own. But what was her REAL story was anyones guess... Anyone but the village that found her.​
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He wasn't sure why he was sent in alone, but he thought that it would have something to do with deniability from the superior officers. Of course many knew of the mission, but to them it was just rumors, no papers, no nothing. He was dressed in jungle gear that had been colored to fit the grasslands of his intended target, he had a sniper rifle with an attached sound and flash suppressor and an assault rifle, to back up those weapons he also carried a pistol, a machete and of course his trusty knife. With all the ammunition and plastic explosives he felt like a walking arsenal, but it seemed like he not only had to kill the warlord, he had to destroy his stronghold and ammunition dump. The job was better suited for a team, but the officer who briefed him stated that they could not afford to drop a team. One man in and out was easier to cover up than a team of five to six men.

So here he was looking over the rolling grass planes, just past the village in front of him was a series of hills and past those was the compound. Strange enough the warlord left this town in peace, it was not normal, but then again, what in this world was normal? He wondered about it though, he had spent a few weeks studying the local dialect and hoped that it would get him some answers if he just listened, but of course for that he had to get in close to the gatherings they held at nights and that was the trouble in and about itself.
 
Last edited:
Two children went bounding along the street running to one of the shops calling out the "witch" who kept shop there... Calling her grandmother.

The Keria... The Keria... (Native language garbled or unclear) Soldiers burning (More rambling) The Keria... Food.

The old woman hurried them into her shop and closed the animal hide flap behind them as many people understanding what the boys said began to move away from the shop with limited haste.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He watched as children rushed towards a building shouting something, he could only make out something that sounded like "The Keira" and "burning", he frowned to himself and also noticed that people started to move away from the building after the children had entered. Stranger and stranger. He shrugged and moved into the shade of a nearby tree, keeping his vigil on the town, he would have to wait for sun set.
 
When Night began to fall the old woman sent the oldest boy from the group of children out with a animal hide wrapped package and sent him back the way they had come earlier in the day. To the west of the compound and into the jungle region of this wild land.

The old woman saw him sitting there at the tree and hobbled over.

You think night protect you... Yes some of Gom~Nie's soldiers sleep but some they say are no longer human and need no sleep. You are only one man. You take this...

She held out a strange "charm" like carved stone on an animal hide chord.

It will help protect you... Take... wear now before you leave.... will protect...
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He was taken aback, how the hell did she see him? If an old woman can see him that meant that the camouflage wasn't as effective as he thought it to be. He looked at the charm and just how the fuck did she know he was alone? He peered at her, not asking any questions, there was no way to wear the charm around his neck, so he wound the thong around his wrist and tucked the charm under the sleeve of his suit.

"Thank you"

There wasn't much more to say, he didn't know if she was maybe a source of information, but if she was willing to answer, maybe she was.

"There is many men at Gom~Nie's house?"
 
She sat down.

Yes... He took many from villages now... do not know where he gains them... Death spirit stop him from taking people from villages... He sometimes hunt death spirit... spirit he not catch. If spirit... it attack you... show stone to spirit... Death spirit... Keria... you tell Keria friend... Death spirit listen only after see stone.

What more soldier seek know? How I know? When many come... dress like us... hide out with us... one alone... never happen. You ask I tell what I can.

She then held out an animal skin of water... and some bread. Night fall darker soon...
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He removed the mask that hid his face and took the bread and water from her. It was interesting to hear he was not the first to come, but the first to be the only one.

"Is Gom~Nie still man?"

He didn't place much thought into this "death spirit", he had heard reports of some kind of wild person, but he knew it was just hog wash, nothing to really worry about.

"I come to kill Gom~Nie and break down where weapons be kept"

He spoke slowly, partly to make himself understood and also to give him time to think. He tapped the charm and then motioned at the food and water.

"Why do you help? We are told you not friendly tribe"
 
Gom~Nie is man... Gom~Nie protected man... dark guardians... Dark guardians will not like stone... You release those Gom~Nie took away?

She laughed... They say not friendly... They not... respect... village... elders... ancients... and try hurt and harm the Keria... Death spirit... protect villages... not like outsiders... Outsiders harm... Death spirit kill... you accept stone... You different... then we different...Plus as outsiders call me... Witch... not like most in village...

She smiled and laughed a little more once the face mask was gone.... grass soldier... is man... good...
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He listened to her. Dark Guardians? What on earth was she talking about?

"This guardians? Why they not like stone?"

He took a sip from the water, at least it tasted clean

"I can not free men, not know if they trust me. If there is way to let them know, then you do so"

He looked out at the village, so respecting of elders and this death spirit was something that these people placed a lot of value in. But this death spirit seemed to be the Keira. He ate some of the bread and found it tasty
 
Stones magic stronger than guardians magic

She motioned to his wrist. If Death spirit find you... show stone... Remember... Death spirit know only friend of people... friend of village have stone...

She patted his leg and stood back up.

Old bones call for sleep... Travel safe...

With that as if on cue that last level of darkness engulfs the region and the old woman hobbled back to her home leaving him in the darkness.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

Stranger and stranger, he shrugged and finished the meal and water, it seemed like he didn't need to approach the fire tonight. Settling his mask back into place he stalked off towards his intended target, the stronghold of the warlord. There was a cool breeze blowing and that made it just so much easier for him to conceal his movement, he was sure that such a small town would have even just one sentry and that was why he kept hidden and moved as silent as possible. He could have sworn that he felt something or even somebody stalking him, but as he looked around, there was nothing. The grass was tall and he was sure that predators would not be much of a problem so close to what would be seen as habitation. There was dark clouds in front of the moon, half obscuring the landscape, but like magic the clouds disappeared, leaving the grassland awash in its silvery light. It was then that he noticed the movement in the grass, maybe predators wasn't scared to take what they want in this place.
 
She remained low in the grass... She had not seen the old woman talking to him just him leaving the village. The armor looked like a strange monster or something to her. Raider from another village maybe. She would watch it carefully none the less. She remained low like the predators. Her eyes seeing clearly through the tall grasslands. Comfortable there or in the Jungle lands lying between the village and the soldier camp.

Slowly she followed and stalked the strange looking being. Eyes narrow as it nears the jungle lands. The Jungle made it easier for her to move as she leaped up into a nearby tree for a better vantage point... Landing like a ghost on the branch she crouched in the dark shroud of branches and smirked watching him.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

Still that feeling of unease stayed, was this a setup? Was he being led into a trap and just didn't know it? This stifling heat didn't help matters much, but then again it's better than marsh hopping. He used the trees and shadows to make his way, circling around the town, keeping a sharp lookout for anybody or anything that could give him away.

He looked up at a tree and saw the leaves move, was there any type of monkeys or baboons around here? He couldn't remember reading about them, but then again it wouldn't be the first time that Intel would have made some sort of cockup. He turned his attention back to the ground and continued to move forward
 
He was moving towards that dark camp... Gom~Nie... Maybe he was one of Gom~Nie's men. A growl silently curled her lips as she watched him. One by themselves was a foolish move as she found the perfect time and leaped down from the tree aiming to land on this being in strange coverings.

Rolling after the initial leap she was ready crouching low watching intently. Her body to an extent in animal hides. Her hair drawn back and bone daggers in her hands she growled watching this being, the sounds coming from her sounding eerily exact to that of a tiger warning. Her eyes even seemed to almost glow in the dark around them.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

The hit drove him into the ground, sending air rushing out of his lungs, he gasped for air and got to his feet as fast as he could. That sound was that of a tiger...there was no fucking tigers here...was there? It was then that he noticed his assailant, daggers in both hands, animal skins covering. What the fuck? He watched as she circled him, as he crouched to pick up his rifle she charged, he barely had time to dive out of the way, landing awkwardly on the gun slung over his back, he rolled and got to his feet. The crazy woman was trying to kill him! He held up his hand

"Listen I don't know why you..."

She was on him in a flash and he was hard pressed to prevent her stabbing him, shit she was deceptively fast and strong. He grabbed hold of her, but she slipped away and he got a back fist to the face, luckily the mask's rubber absorbed most of the impact. He spun with the punch and faced off with her again, he slipped the assault rifle from his back and dropped it. It was encumbering his movements and now that he knew how fast she was it might give him the edge he needs. She was on the move and he watched her cautiously, fingers close to the but of his pistol if she did decide to go for one of his rifles.
 
She growled again and leaped once more. She had no need or use for his weapons she just had to figure out how to get beyond his strange armors... Hearing a voice coming from behind the face plate she knew it was human. Bringing her arms in an ex across her chest ready to slash once she made contact with him.

Another growl falling from her she did not understand why the scent of this one was different... maybe an outsider. She slashed at him as she leaped.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He saw her pounce, falling backwards he brought up a leg and used it to shove her over him. He had to neutralize her and fast, though not the most tactical attacks ever, he was sure that sooner or later her speed would prove fatal. He got to his feet and waited for her in a crouch, her growls made her sound more like some wild animal than a person. This time he was ready for her, as she jumped at him once again, he blocked her slashing movements, grabbing hold of her wrists, he twisted and slammed her into the ground, using momentum and power to drive her down. His hand slid to his knife and a second later it rested against her throat, surely she would understand that stabbing him now would just cause her own death. During the fight the stone had slipped from under his sleeve and dangled from his wrist, the position of his hand allowing her to glimpse it as it rested on his glove.
 
Teeth bared more like an animal than a human growling at the knife to her throat till she saw the stone. Her eyes locked on the stone then looking to him.

Dadgya give stone... WHO! Not Gom~Nie soldier...?

She calmed a little but still the muscles in her form on edge ready for that opening where he makes a mistake and she can get up and away from him.
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

He glanced at the stone and shook his head

"No Gom~Nie soldier...I come kill Gom~Nie"

It was a bold statement, but maybe she would stop trying to kill him, or maybe she would try to kill him more after that declaration. The cold steel rested firmly against her skin, one movement and she would die.
 
Gom~Nie dark guardians run from stone... will make able to get... for both...

She watched him carefully still hissing some at the knife at her neck.

Who you?
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

"Ryan Phillips..."

He slowly inched away from her, keeping a close eye on her, if she attacked him again he'll kill her.

"Elders call me Ghost"

He was amazed at how good she spoke the native dialect, then it struck him. He gestured towards her

"You The Keira? Death Spirit?"
 
She laughed hearing his question.

She give you stone protect you... spirits must tell her you are one kill Gom~Nie. Yes name Keira... name ltranslate to death spirit... I protect this place... villages... home...

R... Ry...Ryan. Gall ghost due to... She reached a hand to the mesh grassland camo strips on the face plate. This?
 
Ryan "Ghost" Phillips

Her laughter was enchanting, so honest and pure. He frowned under his mask, why would a clearly Western woman be doing here? He slide the knife back in it's sheath

"No. Most men don't hear or see me move. From training people say I move like ghost. Now elders call me ghost. This..."

He motioned at his gear

"Just helps, make it easier"

He smiled, sure that she couldn't see it

"Keira see me in dark, Keira must be cat with sharp senses"
 
Animals find me... Grew up with them... learned to do like they do... Dadgya teach me what they can not... speaking... weapons.

She watched him closely and moved to get him to let her up.

Then Gom~Nie came here... He was from other soldiers from the noisy lands. They banish him... He created what is here and dares world to stop him. None can so far... only cripple him for time or blind him for a while. Dark guardians... spirits must protect him.
 
Back
Top