The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

PopTarts is like eating cardboard, but less flavor.

I always thought Cardboard was a flavor for Poptarts. :D But then again, some mornings you need something sweet, sticky, and icky to start the day off right.

Ya'll have a good day.

ETA: HP, if the vent hood was installed by the builder, you very seldom get the instruction books.

I is working on a healthy breakfast but Ancient Guardian says Guinness does not count as a grain and Crown Royal doesn't work as a food in any context.

Sos I eat a sack of potato chips first.

Eleanor is one of those historical characters condemned in her time by her sex to remain in a 'supporting' role. With her intelligence, courage and determination, had she been male, she would have wound up ruling half the world. Beautiful, charming, educated - they don't make many like her.

The Lion in Winter
is indeed superlative. (Very realistic, too - imagine the king of England having to break ice in his room to wash his face in the morning!) I've often thought Eleanor deserves a full bio movie.

One of the hard things about getting old. You end up going to more funerals than birthday parties.

People are dying younger all the time, aren't they?

A couple years ago I decided to search out some of my old friends from high school and college. It was really depressing how many (and who) where already gone. I resolved not to do that again.

Eleanor is one of those historical characters condemned in her time by her sex to remain in a 'supporting' role. With her intelligence, courage and determination, had she been male, she would have wound up ruling half the world. Beautiful, charming, educated - they don't make many like her.

How many women would have gotten so upset about the lack of influence that they'd incite their sons to revolt against her husband?

The characterization of Eleanor that has passed down to us is as you describe, but I wonder how true that was. She was so motivated and her actions sometimes so aggressive that I suspect the characterization is a thin veil of civility over the most dangerous woman in Europe.

Maybe she really did kill her husband's favorite mistress. It would seem consistent.

People are dying younger all the time, aren't they?

A couple years ago I decided to search out some of my old friends from high school and college. It was really depressing how many (and who) where already gone. I resolved not to do that again.

The area I live in out by the lake is mostly retired people. Ambulances are a daily thing. Funerals are weekly. The problem is that all the good people are dying and all the asshats live forever.

A lot of the guys I went to high school died in Vietnam. The ones that made it back were never the same. I attended my 40th high school reunion and wondered who all those old people were. None of the people I had looked forward to seeing were there. They were either dead or missing, as in out of touch.

Old age ain't for the faint of heart.

The story I was stuck on last week is posted now. https://www.literotica.com/s/green-eyes-small-breasts

I played around with having the narrator talking to himself in parenthesis. Not sure how well it worked. I only used it in the beginning to middle of the story while things were not going well for him. Someone once told me that anything written in parenthesis could most likely be written as its own sentence, but I wanted it to be obvious that he was talking to himself/reader.

I tend to talk to myself quite a bit (cause at least I know someone is listening right), so it flowed pretty easy.

If you take the time to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

How many women would have gotten so upset about the lack of influence that they'd incite their sons to revolt against her husband?

The characterization of Eleanor that has passed down to us is as you describe, but I wonder how true that was. She was so motivated and her actions sometimes so aggressive that I suspect the characterization is a thin veil of civility over the most dangerous woman in Europe.

Maybe she really did kill her husband's favorite mistress. It would seem consistent.

Not arguing, but given the times, she spent her life acting... um, like the men around her? Only the strong flourished back then and only the very strongest ruled.

Besides, one can be good-looking, charming, intelligent and educated and still be a ruthless %#{€£!! Had she been a man, I think she would've made Charlemagne look trivial.

A lot of the guys I went to high school died in Vietnam. The ones that made it back were never the same. I attended my 40th high school reunion and wondered who all those old people were. None of the people I had looked forward to seeing were there. They were either dead or missing, as in out of touch.

Too true.

For some we loved, the loveliest and the best
That from His vintage rolling Time hath pressed,
Have drunk the Cup a round or two before,
And one by one crept silently to rest.

Omar Khayyam

If you take the time to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

I read it -- well, most of it. I started skimming a little after a while, and I skipped most of the sex.

Your use of parenthesis bothered me as a reader. Most of them seemed to be asides to the reader rather than cases of the narrator talking to himself. There were a lot of them, they broke the flow, and I don't understand why the narrator needs to make asides to the reader.

The story probably does what you want, but even after the fairly extended intro I had little feeling for your narrator's character, or for Miss's character. Maybe that's not all that important for other readers.

Neither is the food at this fast food gas station we're stopped at on the way home at this moment Kent. I am sunburnt, famished and sore from a long hike yesterday, an evening cooking and eating and packing up this morning. How come everything takes up more space when you're camping than when you're at home? It rained from midday Saturday to midnight so we sat in the kitchen tent cooking eating and drinking - a snugly night with rain beating down and then Sunday was beautiful. Cold and sunny..... great weekend.

Of the 400 or so lads who joined up at the same time as me, there were about 40 at the reunion.
As you so rightly put it, Tx, "Old age ain't for the faint of heart"

But now ? A long, strong coffee.

Of the 400 or so lads who joined up at the same time as me, there were about 40 at the reunion.
As you so rightly put it, Tx, "Old age ain't for the faint of heart"

But now ? A long, strong coffee.

The coffee is only as long as you make it. Sip slowly. ;)

6-6-1966 76 of us went into the Marines. By Jan of 1970, there were only 2 of us still alive. Funny thing is, we two had the most time in country of all of them. One guy killed himself when he came back and found out his wife was screwing his brother. Never understood that one.

6-6-1966 76 of us went into the Marines. By Jan of 1970, there were only 2 of us still alive.

That's a pretty remarkable mortality rate.

We have some humidity! We're at about 35% and there are thunderstorms popping up over the mountains. It could even rain here, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

(Very realistic, too - imagine the king of England having to break ice in his room to wash his face in the morning!) I've often thought Eleanor deserves a full bio movie.

This was a practice still needed in England in the 1960s in some parts of the North.
And 'un-"improved" military bases had just such problems.
But I have little doubt that a minion will have heated the water sufficiently in the 'superior' end of the land. . . . :).

(Very realistic, too - imagine the king of England having to break ice in his room to wash his face in the morning!) I've often thought Eleanor deserves a full bio movie.

This was a practice still needed in England in the 1960s in some parts of the North.
But I have little doubt that a minion will have heated the water sufficiently in the 'superior' end of the land. . . . :).

PS. I have this image of a minion lighting a candle under a sink so it didn't freeze
:)

PS. I have this image of a minion lighting a candle under a sink so it didn't freeze
:)

That was my situation at a UK Boarding School in the 1950s. Senior students got the first use of the washbasins and showers (and usually all the semi-warm water). Junior students always had cold showers. When the weather was freezing? No students could shower or wash because the plumbing was frozen. We could do a basic wash in the toilets in the main building during breaks between lessons.

Our dormitories were uninsulated Nissen (US = Quonset) huts roofed with a single thickness of corrugated iron. They were unbearably hot in summer and our breath froze on the inside of the windows in winter. They were damp inside all year round. The two electric heaters, when they worked, only heated the corrugated iron immediately above them.

7058c4d294003f9c0f93876dd927d302.jpg

Our dormitories were uninsulated Nissen (US = Quonset) huts roofed with a single thickness of corrugated iron. They were unbearably hot in summer and our breath froze on the inside of the windows in winter. They were damp inside all year round. The two electric heaters, when they worked, only heated the corrugated iron immediately above them.

But they 'built character', right?

That hut reminds me of where I once worked. . . .
It was OK in the rain, but at no other time. I recall that tyhe spiders liked it !

Meanwhile, coffee.

Military life, huh? I got to listen to both my grandads and their stories are a bit like yours, Tex. It was not good. My partner's experience in Afghanistan was a lot more positive, that's all I can say on that one.

And those huts? That sounds terribly character building Ogg. Rather like camping huts. Speaking of which, our last night camping, it was frosty overnight to thirty one C by the time we left. And the tents are now hung up in the garage drying coz we packed them damp. My legs ache from the hiking, I have to go to work but bliss- I have coffeeeeeeee - and a geek day story to finish. Gulp.

...our last night camping, it was frosty overnight to thirty one C by the time we left. And the tents are now hung up in the garage drying coz we packed them damp. My legs ache from the hiking, I have to go to work but bliss- I have coffeeeeeeee - and a geek day story to finish. Gulp.

But both of you survived the wilderness sans coffee. He's a keeper, Chloe.

Good morning all,

Tuesday seems to be phone day in retirement. No one calls on Monday and this morning it won't quite ringing. Friends, family, my editor. Oh, one I can answer. :D

Fresh coffee for the late morning crew. I'm having cinnamon rolls for brunch. Help yourself.

We had a little thunderstorm yesterday. Some parts of town got about three quarters of an inch of rain and small hail, which just about equalled their total precip since last September. We didn't get quite that much at the office. At home we got a lot less, but it was still good. It'll hold the dust down for a while.

Officially, we've still had less than an inch of precip since last September.

We had a little thunderstorm yesterday. Some parts of town got about three quarters of an inch of rain and small hail, which just about equalled their total precip since last September. We didn't get quite that much at the office. At home we got a lot less, but it was still good. It'll hold the dust down for a while.

Officially, we've still had less than an inch of precip since last September.

We've had one inch this month, which is about a quarter of the average. Most of it came in one day.

We've had one inch this month, which is about a quarter of the average. Most of it came in one day.

It's a study in contrasts. You're going to dry up and blow away. Here the humidity is so high (like 30% man!) that I could actually tell I broke a sweat on my afternoon walk. ;) Usually it just evaporates before I notice.

Back