Reporting a persistent troll

How do you delete an individual comment without deleting them all? I can only see that you can switch off comments but then all comments will surely disappear?

Go into your Works dashboard, every story will be listed. Click in the speech bubble against each story, that will show all comments received against that story. You can then delete individual comments.

Drop anon and this place becomes a lot friendlier and more inviting. Especially to people who are easily offended.

Counter that with the fact that some of the most intelligent comments come from anons who, for any number of reasons, don't want to open an account on an erotica web site. Shut down anon and you deny them a voice.

Freedom of speech? Sure, but don't ever deny me the right to clean dog turds off the lawn; just sayin'.

You can have your neighbourhood, LC, I like mine looking half-way respectable ;).

One thing to consider about abusive comments on the story...

Your story has affected someone so much that they feel the need to protest, object, or attack your characters and their behaviour.

That means the characters and situations have become sufficiently real to anonymous to produce a reaction. Your story is so realistic that anonymous doesn't see it as fiction.

That doesn't apply to general attacks on you as the author, but some abuse could be because you have challenged anonymous' view of how the world should be.

Getting a reaction can be better than no response at all.

One thing to consider about abusive comments on the story...

Your story has affected someone so much that they feel the need to protest, object, or attack your characters and their behaviour.

That means the characters and situations have become sufficiently real to anonymous to produce a reaction. Your story is so realistic that anonymous doesn't see it as fiction.

That doesn't apply to general attacks on you as the author, but some abuse could be because you have challenged anonymous' view of how the world should be.

Getting a reaction can be better than no response at all.

Most of my negative anons have been people what just attacks for the sake of attacking. They doesn't has a point, they just thinks they can hurt someone and tries.
An autistic what admits to hasing problems? WEE - a new target!
It worked four years ago - doesn't work now.
I has been on tumblr.

I have no idea whether it deters the trolls, but at the very least deleting homophobia etc. seems like a kindness to the readers. I want people to come away from my stories feeling good, not attacked.

Thankfully that's still a hypothetical for me, so far my comments have been bigot-free without any need for pruning on my part, but I know some categories attract that kind of thing.

I've gotten very few lifestyle attack comments on my stories at Literotica, I'll have to say. I've probably gotten as many in Loving Wives for heterosexual lifestyles I've depicted as in Gay Male for GM lifestyles depicted.

In my opinion dropping anonymous comments would deprive authors of some valuable feedback, coming from people who choose not to become members, or who for whatever reason choose not to log in (or can't, at least that day and time), or even want to comment but don't want to be seen in that particular category. I've made anonymous comments a couple of times because I didn't want to sic my personal trolls on the author in question.

I've also had some named commenters make just as stupid, illiterate and foolish comments as any anon, and those I usually leave up, as a warning. Might as well know JoefromMooseJaw is an idiot.

In my opinion dropping anonymous comments would deprive authors of some valuable feedback, coming from people who choose not to become members, or who for whatever reason choose not to log in (or can't, at least that day and time), or even want to comment but don't want to be seen in that particular category. I've made anonymous comments a couple of times because I didn't want to sic my personal trolls on the author in question.

We often have authors complaining about comments by Anon, and then others replying that Anon's comments are worth reading. I started this thread a while back to support the idea that writers need to pay attention to their anonymous comments.

I've also taken to looking at comments that writers complain about. The comments are often spot on, though maybe rude.

I've also taken to looking at comments that writers complain about. The comments are often spot on, though maybe rude.
This. Sometimes the problem really is, "It's a rubbish story. Learn how to spell, how to edit, how to write."

A selection of critical anonymous comments on my stories:

1. dunno
10/27/05 By: Anonymous
Nice plot but something about your writing itself left me cold.

2. awful :/
09/03/07 By: Anonymous in Virginia, USA
i didnt think you described whatever device you were talking about very well at all. it didnt make sense nor was it arousing. sure it was twisted and unique, but probably could have been so much better.

3. That was just weird.
03/04/16 By: Anonymous
I mean really strange. I guess I expected either more drama or a more interesting conclusion. Not very interesting to read. Maybe next time?

4. 1*
03/04/16 By: Anonymous
For nothing...wish I could give less.

Comments 1,2 and 3 are helpful and made me think about how I could improve those stories.

Comment 4? It doesn't tell me anything except that anonymous didn't like it.

Back