Just found out about NaNoWriMo

Messier82

Literotica Guru
I'm sure this will be old hat to many here, but after seeing this mentioned in a few posts, and having no clue what it meant, I decided to do a web search on it.

And what an excellent idea it is!

Anyone on Lit taking part this year?

Years ago I wrote a How-To about NaNoWriMo.

https://www.literotica.com/s/complete-nanowrimo

For my own satisfaction, I entered NaNoWriMo in 2003. I already knew I could write 30,000 words in a month, so I set myself a more difficult challenge:

To write 30,000 words as a complete story, edit all of it, and get it posted on Literotica (including allowing time for delays in posting) before the end of the NaNoWriMo month.

I did it. The result is my twelve chapter story Flawed Red Silk.

I'm sure this will be old hat to many here, but after seeing this mentioned in a few posts, and having no clue what it meant, I decided to do a web search on it.

And what an excellent idea it is!

Anyone on Lit taking part this year?

Lynn has achieved entry a time or two.

I am considering it. I entered twice - once I finished my goal, the other time I didn't. I'd be interested - November may not be as bad as September and October were at work, so it may be reasonable.

The time I did successfully complete my goal, I was part of a "cabin" (NaNo terms) of writers, and what was nice is that you had closer peers to "egg" you on to the finish line, and to chat with about writing issues. It was fun.

Lynn has achieved entry a time or two.

Yep, I've been participating since 2007. I also did a few of the summer challenges where I joined a 'cabin'. However, it didn't take me long to leave the cabin.

Yup, I have a project I've wanted to write for some time. Not erotic, just post apocalyptic adventure.

I did nano in 2012/2013 and last year I did the summer camp.

But for this time, I just did a premature nano, my Halloween epic is 70k and I did it in about three weeks so I'm going to pass on nano because....I think I just burned myself out binge writing.

For the first time in many years I seem to have a window of free time in November. That and i have a couple of new ideas i want to try out. I finished the last one I started and it turned into a novel that I'm still marketing around.

OH yes!

I'm doing the Nov run too, but I honestly try to write a bit every day. They have several write-months to get inspired which makes it nice if you enjoy a deadline!

It's nice to hang out with writer friends too!

I've done NaNo twice. The first time I didn't finish, but last year I did, and it was a fantastic feeling. I started a chat thread on the NaNo boards for Lit users, and I'm happy to do so again, so anyone from Lit who wants to have some encouragement can. You can also have "friends" on your NaNo page who you can follow and encourage. We can set up a thread here for those interested in sharing user names and such.

Last year my novel (still unfinished) was erotic, but this year I'm going to do a YA supernatural story. I'd still love some encouragement from the Lit crowd, though! :)

I started getting my two ideas lined out for Nano and...

Well, one is a rewrite of a story I posted here a long time ago. After rereading it, I've decided I like it the way it is. The part i was thinking about adding to it wouldn't be very long and probably would distract from the basic story.

Then second project is too far along to just jump into the middle at the start of Nano. Anyway, I'm not ready to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

So, as of right now, I'm left with a dozen new story ideas. That is unless something new comes along very shortly. Five 10K shorts make 50K.

I will participate for the first time this year. I intend to do 50k.

I tried it two years ago and finished. For me it was grueling, I think 7000 words a day or something like that is needed as an average to finish. Best bet I think is to get ahead so if you miss a day you don't fall too far behind. I say that because I usually couldn't get to it on the weekends.

I tried it again last year and gave up about two weeks in. I'm not sure if I want to try again but I'm leaning that way. I do know that working at that pace instead of my usual mega slow pace burned me out for some time. Someone who works at that pace anyway won't have a problem.

I tried it two years ago and finished. For me it was grueling, I think 7000 words a day or something like that is needed as an average to finish. Best bet I think is to get ahead so if you miss a day you don't fall too far behind. I say that because I usually couldn't get to it on the weekends.

I tried it again last year and gave up about two weeks in. I'm not sure if I want to try again but I'm leaning that way. I do know that working at that pace instead of my usual mega slow pace burned me out for some time. Someone who works at that pace anyway won't have a problem.

50k divided by 30 = 1666 words a day.

If you take the weekends off, then 50k divided by21 = 2381 words a day.

The main thing is to set a time and write what you can. The more you write, the easier it gets.

Ouch, yes 1666.666 - I rounded to 1700, Yikes how did my fingers change that to 7000? !!!

Sorry, my fingers and proofreading have always been my downfall. I stand corrected, but it was still a slog for me. Especially since I started cold and didn't have any story in mind, outline or even an idea when I started.

Ouch, yes 1666.666 - I rounded to 1700, Yikes how did my fingers change that to 7000? !!!

Sorry, my fingers and proofreading have always been my downfall. I stand corrected, but it was still a slog for me. Especially since I started cold and didn't have any story in mind, outline or even an idea when I started.

A little planning and preparation works wonders. My only problem is holding my fingers back, all three of them, until the gun sounds. ;)

I've been taking part every year since 2005; usually achieve 50,000 words, never seem to complete a story. Maybe this year...

I've been taking part every year since 2005; usually achieve 50,000 words, never seem to complete a story. Maybe this year...

That is the hard part, completing it. I've finished three out of the last four. Two of those are now novels. It took putting everything else aside and forcing myself to finish. One is published and one is not. The third ended up being lost except for the forward. One day maybe I'll reconstruct it but that is far harder than original writing. For me at least.

That is the hard part, completing it. I've finished three out of the last four. Two of those are now novels. It took putting everything else aside and forcing myself to finish. One is published and one is not. The third ended up being lost except for the forward. One day maybe I'll reconstruct it but that is far harder than original writing. For me at least.
Nope, same issue; rewriting something is infinitely more difficult than writing it the first time, although it can occasionally be rewarding (especially if you find the original "lost" work again and can compare.)

This is why I'm paranoid about backing up my work, though; I still managed to lose the last third or so of NaNoWriMo 2009, but at least I have the others intact and can (theoretically) go back someday and edit, revise, and complete them.

Nope, same issue; rewriting something is infinitely more difficult than writing it the first time, although it can occasionally be rewarding (especially if you find the original "lost" work again and can compare.)

This is why I'm paranoid about backing up my work, though; I still managed to lose the last third or so of NaNoWriMo 2009, but at least I have the others intact and can (theoretically) go back someday and edit, revise, and complete them.

I had the forward done and around 40k of the 50k done when I went on a trip over Thanksgiving. I stopped over night at a motel and the next morning the side glass in my truck was broken out and my laptop was gone.

The only thing good about it is I got a new laptop and the one stolen was worthless as i had the operating system and the bios both passworded.

I've got around 20k rewritten but none of it sounds as good as before and I'm missing things that no longer fit.

I had the forward done and around 40k of the 50k done when I went on a trip over Thanksgiving. I stopped over night at a motel and the next morning the side glass in my truck was broken out and my laptop was gone.

The only thing good about it is I got a new laptop and the one stolen was worthless as i had the operating system and the bios both passworded.

I've got around 20k rewritten but none of it sounds as good as before and I'm missing things that no longer fit.
Dropbox and similar cloud services are wonderful things, these days. :D

You don't count the forward as part of your 50k?

Dropbox and similar cloud services are wonderful things, these days. :D

You don't count the forward as part of your 50k?

I already had it written as preparation. It's posted here at Lit. Powers

I backup twice a day automatically to a thumbdrive and to a separated harddrive.

I still don't have a clue what I'll write. But I have three weeks to decide.

I still don't have a clue what I'll write. But I have three weeks to decide.
These are almost always the best ones. :)

I'm actually spoiled for choice this year - two major projects vying for attention, and more keep rearing their heads. >_< I only have three weeks to decide...!

These are almost always the best ones. :)

I'm actually spoiled for choice this year - two major projects vying for attention, and more keep rearing their heads. >_< I only have three weeks to decide...!

A lot can happen in three weeks. Good luck with the challenge.

Back