Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. 5 out of the last 7 women I emailed and received a reply from deleted their profiles while I was waiting for a second reply...
 
Someone was in my car last night. I did not leave the door unlocked and the seat forward.
 
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/16mar_supermoon/


Perigee Moon
By Dr. Tony Phillips
Credit: Science@NASA

March 16, 2011: Mark your calendar. On March 19th, a full Moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset. It's a super "perigee moon"--the biggest in almost 20 years.


"The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC. "I'd say it's worth a look."


Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee): diagram. Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the Moon's orbit.


"The full Moon of March 19th occurs less than one hour away from perigee--a near-perfect coincidence1 that happens only 18 years or so," adds Chester.


A perigee full Moon brings with it extra-high "perigean tides," but this is nothing to worry about, according to NOAA. In most places, lunar gravity at perigee pulls tide waters only a few centimeters (an inch or so) higher than usual. Local geography can amplify the effect to about 15 centimeters (six inches)--not exactly a great flood.


Indeed, contrary to some reports circulating the Internet, perigee Moons do not trigger natural disasters. The "super moon" of March 1983, for instance, passed without incident. And an almost-super Moon in Dec. 2008 also proved harmless.


Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger than usual, but can you really tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon can seem much like any other.


The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. On March 19th, why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset may seem so nearby, you can almost reach out and touch it.


Don't bother. Even a super perigee Moon is still 356,577 km away. That is, it turns out, a distance of rare beauty.


________________
1Footnote: Less-perfect perigee moons occur more often. In 2008, for instance, there was a full Moon four hours from perigee. Many observers thought that one looked great, so the one-hour perigee moon of 2011 should be a real crowd pleaser.
 
And you are wrong. The Japanese won't see a nuclear plume on the horizon. What they might experience is what most of Northern Europe experienced after Chernobyl - an invisible threat that can only be measured with sophisticated equipment and government announcements - and we all trust our governments to tell us the unvarnished truth, don't we?

Og

"Seeing the nuclear plume on the horizon" was a direct quote from my cousin who lives in Hawaii. I don't know what he sees, only what he told me.
 
Why do people have to be so sneaky and back handed?
Why can't they just say what they mean, and mean what they say?
On the flip side of that, why do some people have the constant need to tear others down?
Would it be so hard to encourage and nurture?
There are plenty of ways to get your point across without turning it into an absolute personal attack.
You can get your point across, be firm, and remain kind at the same time. Is it really so hard?
Some people feel bad enough about themselves without help from anyone.
Why can't others see that?
Why do the ones who do good for others always get the short end of the stick?
Takers. The world is full of takers. That's what it comes down to. What a sad story.
 
Isle of Sheppey

Today we visited the Isle of Sheppey in bright sunshine.

We went to Harty Church down a very potholed road. It is one of the most isolated churches in Kent, sited overlooking the Swale. Harty Church has Saxon origins and is unusual in that it still does not have an electricity supply. The main organ is foot-pumped but they have a modern electronic keyboard run from batteries.

The most popular service is on Christmas Eve when the church is lit by candles.

Despite, or perhaps because of, its isolation it is visited by dozens of people every week. On a bright day such as today, when the stained glass windows are shining, it is a very attractive church. The last time I visited it, a few years ago, in driving rain, it was gloomy and atmospheric. Whatever the weather it is a wonderful village church. (Except that there is NO village anymore!)

Og
 


Submarines of the Confederate States of America? They've come a long way from the Hunley!

163091155.jpg


 


We live in a culture where stealing with a pen or by means of sophistry has become acceptable— nay, laudable and commendable— but stealing with a gun is not.


When and how was it determined that certain forms of stealing were acceptable and others were not?


When did it become acceptable to encourage dimwits to gamble at casinos? When did it become acceptable for managements to steal prodigious sums from shareholders by means of stock options? When did it become acceptable to encourage suckers to purchase IPOs? It's okay to permit the formation and marketing of thousands of perfectly useless, narrowly focused sector mutual funds and ETFs? It's okay to encourage trial attorneys to file dubious class action lawsuits that are effectively nothing more than legal harassment and extortion?


 
Last edited:
This morning I had a dream about one of the asian women in my life, but I can't remember which one...

There wasn't anything sexual about the dream either, even though we were in bed next to each other. :(

__

Also, I am seeing the Statue of Liberty today with a member of one of my other forums. After that we are probably seeing the museums next to central park. Long day planned for me.
 
This morning I had a dream about one of the asian women in my life, but I can't remember which one...

There wasn't anything sexual about the dream either, even though we were in bed next to each other. :(

__

Also, I am seeing the Statue of Liberty today with a member of one of my other forums. After that we are probably seeing the museums next to central park. Long day planned for me.

I want details of your day!!
 
This morning I had a dream about one of the asian women in my life, but I can't remember which one...

There wasn't anything sexual about the dream either, even though we were in bed next to each other. :(

__

Also, I am seeing the Statue of Liberty today with a member of one of my other forums. After that we are probably seeing the museums next to central park. Long day planned for me.

Woohoo! I want details, too, cuz I'm detail oriented. :D You go, Thee! Post pictures, too.
 
I will have pictures and details, tomorrow... I'm so tired I just want to pass out right now...
 
Woohoo! I want details, too, cuz I'm detail oriented. You go, Thee! Post pictures, too.

Ok, pictures, and the story to go with it!

I woke up at around 7:30, and my buddy Sam was supposed to call me at any point after 8:00 to arrange our meeting. He didn't call until 9:30, and I left the house while still on the phone with him. He was leaving from the New York side and I the Jersey side, so I figured he would get there first. I was wrong. I got to my ferry location at 10:40 and he to his ferry location after 11:00 while I was on the water.

My first ever view of the statue, even though I only live a little over an hour away.
SDC10814.jpg


He had a huge line in front of him. I arrived at Ellis Island first, but didn't disengage the boat (was probably a mistake).
SDC10816.jpg


I made it to the island at about 11:30, and went for a walk around the statue, as I wasn't allowed into it until after 1:00.
SDC10822.jpg


I enjoyed the sunshine, and people watching. Lots of Chinese people around, especially women. Quite a few Russians and French about too. I received several calls from Sam keeping me apprised of the situation. An hour and a half wait turned into a two hour wait. I walked around the island again while waiting, taking a picture of myself with the pedestal in the background.
SDC10824.jpg


And the New York skyline in the background.
SDC10825.jpg


He didn't arrive until some time around 2:00 pm. I was surprised to see him with a beard.
SDC10829.jpg


So we walked around the island together, chatting about this and that. took some pics of each other, and other stuff.
SDC10834.jpg

SDC10835.jpg


He wasn't allowed up in the pedestal though. Only 300 people are allowed in the statue, and only 3000 in the pedestal, so I got to go up while he walked around himself. He said he would come back up to see the rest of the structure, but I haven't had any contact with him since we separated later that evening.

After eating lunch (my second of the day) and hanging out for a while, we took the ferry over to Jersey side and I drove us both into the city (easier than trying to find my way back to my car from the city). We tried to make the Natural History museum before they closed, but we got there at 5:30 and they closed at 5:45... The front was under renovation, so I didn't get a pic of that. I did get a pic inside the Hayden Planetarium though.
SDC10895.jpg


I also got one of the front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
SDC10896.jpg


We walked passed the Guggenheim, but no pics of that...

Then we had dinner together, chatted some more, walked back to my car, he walked back to his hotel (he's a fan of walking), and I drove home. Fun day all told.

And I had to remove the smilie in your post so that I could fit all of these images in here (without a smilie here)...
 
The weather was beautiful on Tuesday. I had my hat off every time the sun was out. Yesterday and today on the other hand...
SDC10897.jpg
 
I also wasn't expecting the level of security that I was met with at the ferry and the statue base itself. It was like airport security, except I got to keep my shoes on.

Oh look, guards arms with shotguns...
SDC10826.jpg
 
My only trip to NYC was right after the attacks --Thanksgiving, in fact. Security was extremely high, of course, so I saw the statue from a distance since it was still closed.

Thanks for the pics, Thee.



Unrelated blurt:

I don't want to do this anymore.
 
Thee! Thanks for posting all of the pics. It's WUNDERFUL city! There's something there for everyone. My daughter's first date with her husband was at the museum. I feel good things happening for you.:kiss:
 
Thee! Thanks for posting the pics. It's a WUNDERFUL City! There's something there for everyone! My daughter's first date with her husband was at the museum. I feel good things happening for you!:kiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top