How to Learn World Georgraphy

Chris_Michael

2B or Not 2B
You see, on Lit I get all the ladies from around the world and it's tough when I'm clueless about world geography.

So, I'm trying to learn and it is TOUGH. One thing that just really irritates me is that I only had one opportunity in my high school years of learning it. I don't even think it's offered in state university, though I could be wrong.

World history IS taught, but I don't know that either. BUT I had to choose a major, and I chose the maths and sciences. So, my only history course was an early American history course and my gawd was it boring. Besides, that wouldn't help me anyway since it's... well... American history.

Aside from the obvious, are there any really efficient and great ways of learning world geography? How do normal people learn this stuff? Is it just exposure and repetition?

I can't take college classes because I already owe Sallie Mae a Lamborghini. 'sigh'

-_-

It's just memorization.

The Canada bone is connected to the US bone...c'mon sing it with me...

Ok, seriously, to start all you really need to do is think of a country, then look at map where you think the country should be. Don't hunt for it, just look. Use large nations as references points.

Uzbekistan...hmmm. Sounds Middle Easty, kinda but not really. Lessee, China, India, Afghanistan, ah HA! Found it.

Crete. Ok. Sounds Mediterranean. So let's look around Italy, maybe it's the football at the toe of Italy? Nope, but just behind the heel is a bunch of islands... Woot! There it is.

Or you could just ask Mr. Google. He knows everything.

Buy an atlas aimed at 10 year olds.

The better ones explain physical and economic geography as well as including political and physical maps.

When you know that book from cover to cover, buy a comprehensive adult atlas - The Times or Readers Digest any edition, plus a very new political atlas to keep up with country changes.

Get a map of the world and hang it on your wall. When you make a friend in another country write their name on a piece of paper and pin it to that country on your map. This will help you learn geography and also be a really creepy prop if you ever decide to become a serial killer.

Get a map of the world and hang it on your wall. When you make a friend in another country write their name on a piece of paper and pin it to that country on your map. This will help you learn geography and also be a really creepy prop if you ever decide to become a serial killer.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin...

Look up every country that is ever mentioned in three places.

1. Wikipedia.
2. An atlas.
3. A globe.

You can buy cheap inflatable globes.

Atlases you may be able to get at second hand stores.

Three books which should live handy to your desk (or dining room table if you're that kind of family) are:

An atlas, a dictionary and a reference book relating to your favourite topic of conversation (your passion).

As mentioned, start with a kid's atlas or set thereof, and a world map hanging on your wall. Then get a comprehensive world atlas like the Times, Reader's Digest, or Goode's. Rummage through thrift shops for National Geographic maps. I like to mix current and historical maps and atlases to appreciate the changes.

Geography is more than mere topography. It's about economics, culture, landscapes, landforms, resources, communications including roads and shipping, etc. It's about people and how we live. Enjoy!

geo

I travel the world for my work so I learn geography by wakening and walking to the window in the morning and trying to figure where the f.... I am.

When I was a kid I had a jigsaw of a map of the world which I played with endlessly.

Trouble is that now not many countries are coloured pink and many have changed names, but that's inevitable.

Back