Question about submission categories

Phasma

Virgin
Joined
May 20, 2018
Posts
2
Hello everyone, new member here, apologies if this is not the proper place to ask this question. It seems I am having a real problem picking categories, either for appropriate subforums or actual story submissions.

I have been working on a fantasy/historical fiction/romance novel for awhile now. There are some erotic scenes but the book could not really be categorized as erotica IMO, due to the sparsity of said scenes. But I am looking for feedback on these chapters and wanted to submit them here. After poking around in the different categories, I am unsure if I should post it to novels/novellas since it will not be a continuous erotic story starting with the first chapter, or if it would be more appropriate to post it in erotic couplings?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
 
How much "fantasy" is there? If it's set in a world not our own with any amount of magic or mystical creatures, then you probably want to consider Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Comments of "skipped the sex to get back to the story" are frequent there, so few sex scenes aren't a problem at all.

If "fantasy" isn't of the magical nature, then you need to go by the dominant content.

Is the romance the central feature? The Romance category is also one that will overlook sparse sex in favor of a good story.

Erotic Couplings and Novels & Novellas are "grab bag" categories with transient readerships. You typically only want to use them when there's no other applicable category.

Novels and Novellas should be for long stories, obviously. By Lit standards, you're probably looking at 20k words or more. It's often used as a place to post long stories with a wide range of possibly clashing kinks, because the readership isn't as territorial and judgemental as in more specific categories. The trade-off is a lower readership overall.

The erotic couplings readership trends more toward shorter fare, but are likewise less likely to attack you for edgy content than specific categories.

In either case, an advance warning note at the beginning about especially edgy content such as incest, gay male, etc. will probably reduce scoring bombs and nasty commentary.

From the description, I'm guessing that edgy content isn't a problem. Consider Sci-Fi & Fantasy or Romance, if either of those is a dominant theme.
 
I'll take a shot at this; I've pondered this issue too because I might eventually submit a novella (or maybe it will be a novel) at some point.

I think you should put it in the novels/novellas section in whatever chapter lengths you feel is workable. My view is: if the administrators accept it, that's what is important.

You may get readers who say it's not the right category, or it's not erotic enough or romantic enough or whatever. Either ignore them or respectfully reply but know that is just their opinions and they do not run the site.

P.S.: There have been some discussions here about chapter lengths which I will try to find for you.
 
Wow so I was way off! Lol so glad I asked. Very helpful info, thank you both for taking the time.
 
I don't include a lot of explicit sex in my writing. I have submitted one series of thirteen chapters, about 52,000 words to Novels and Novellas because it really did not fit into any specific category. RejectReality is in touch with reality there, you will get a smaller readership. But I have found that readers there are very loyal if they like what you write.

My current series, which is currently at eight chapters and about 50,000 words, is in Romance, and has been very well received there. Again, I agree with RR, readers there want story above all. In fact, I caught some slack for my main characters having sex "too soon" for some readers.
 
Back
Top