The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

Marri smiled at those encouraging words, knowing that Gabriel loved her just as much as he loved his father. It was nice being in a place where there was so much love to go around and Seamus seemed to adore his nephew, taking him around to show off his farm when their meal was finished. Marri jumped in to help Lise make a good dinner for the family before she retired to bed after a long journey. The next day they would meet with a few of Durban's cousins and their children, surely a full day ahead of them.

That evening, Marri lay in bed with her slumbering son. He made her laugh softly as he slept on his back, arms and legs spread wide as he snored slightly. It was just like his father when he was truly relaxed. Perhaps he had more in common with Durban than any of them realized.

"Don't grow up so fast, little love." Marri murmured as she leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Your Ma still needs all of those sweet cuddles."
 
Durban stepped in and smiled to himself, the sight of his wife and son together melting his heart as it always did. He crawled carefully into bed so not to disturb Gabriel, and he leaned over to steal a kiss from Marri. "He reminds me o' Boar an' myself as teenagers. We'd stretch out in the grass after a good hunt jus' like that."
 
"He's been amazingly good so far this journey." Marri said as she smiled at her husband after he stole that kiss and settled on the other side of his son. "Maybe travelling is in his blood. It certainly suits you like a well worn piece of clothing. I've never seen you so happy save when we're in Inverness."
 
"Even back 'ome I don' like sittin' still. Used t'be I moved out o' necessity. Now it's a habit an' finally somethin' I can enjoy. If y'know how t'survive, the world's a fantastic place and jus' one little isle in th'north will never suffice when ye've seen the steppes, the fells, the tundra, the desert... I'll be glad t'live in Scotland when I'm old an' can't travel anymore. But til then, even if we set down roots, I can't sit still fer even a season."
 
"What if we decided to add more children to our family?" Marri asked Durban softly as they both settled in for a good night's sleep. "Travelling with two children will be hard. What about three or four? I think sooner or later you'll want to think about a plot of land with a nice little house on it. I'm not asking for it now because we still have so much to see, but I might in the future. You wouldn't hate me, would you?"
 
"No, love. But I don' know if I could ever sit still like tha'," Durban told her honestly. "I'd 'ave t'find some happy medium. I never wanted t'be a nomad, but now it's in my blood an' wandering is almos' like breathin'." He loved the freedom and the travel and the learning so, despite how it had originally been hellish when he was run out of Scotland by his father.
 
Marri leaned in and kissed her husband's cheek, giving him a smile as he talked about finding a healthy medium. "I think I could agree to that. Gabriel has been a good baby this trip. I hope that all of our children are like this. It makes my life a lot easier."
 
"Oh, they won' be. Trust me," Durban chuckled. "One'll come along tha' throws it all off an' gets in all kinds o' trouble an' makes a constant fuss, but they'll turn out t'be th'biggest sweet'eart. I saw it with Boar an' it'll 'appen again."
 
Marri laughed softly as he said that and she leaned across Gabriel to kiss her husband. "Well, I'm sure that any child you give me will be well worth the heartache that they bring to me in their life time. I look forward to the adventures that we'll have."
 
"I'll make sure they don' give ya too much trouble," Durban said before he kissed her in return. "Get some sleep, darlin'." Though they might stay a while in France, they'd still be exploring and they had a long road ahead to see Europe and Asia.
 
Marri gave her husband a smile as she settled down to sleep beneath the thick covers, her hand gently resting on her son's soft belly. She was so in love with the two men in her life that she would have followed them to the end of the earth if that was what it took to be with them. It made her the happiest woman in the world.
 
Though their time with Seamus' family was short, it was certainly sweet as Marri was accepted into yet another piece of the loving Ghis family. It was off to Alsace for them then, to visit Marri's grand aunt.
 
Marri was excited to see her grandmother's sister. She remembered meeting her once when she was very little and the woman was kind and warm, just like her Grandma had been. It made her miss both of her grandparents, but she knew that wherever they were right now, they were together and they were very happy.

"It's been a long time since I've seen Gabriella. Do you think she'll still remember me?" Marri asked as Durban guided their wagon along the trail, Gabriel playing in the back with Caer.
 
"We'll just have t'find out," Durban said with a shrug. Then he added, "Gabriel's quite th' popular name in yer family, aye? Why's tha'?"
 
"Gabriel was my Grandma's father. I never knew him but they said he was a great knight in the king's service. He was strong, kind, and honorable. My Grandma knew when she had my Da that she wanted to give him a good strong name. It just kind of stuck." Marri said softly as she looked over her shoulder Gabriel wrestling with Caer. "I like the idea of holding onto the piece of my Grandma and Grandpa. I hope that maybe some day he'll continue the tradition too."
 
Durban leaned over to kiss Marri. "You never know... He might find a headstrong lass like you who has her own ideas."

As they entered Alsace, they were stopped by some French soldiers inquiring about their business. Durban told them honestly that they were visiting family, and the soldiers simply cautioned them to be careful. Times were hard in France.
 
Marri was slightly concerned that they were being warned to watch themselves in France. It concerned her since they were traveling with a baby but it seemed that Durban wasn't as concerned as she was about the situation.
 
"Don' be too worried, love," Durban tried to soothe her. "Just hard times an' a few more thieves about these days. Nothin' we can't 'andle by takin' a little more care about lookin' after our cart."
 
"I guess." Marri said softly as he tried his best to soothe her.

The fear was still in the back of her mind. She had to think about Gabriel now, before herself and before Durban. Everything that she did now was for her son.
 
Coming to the area Marri last knew her great aunt to have lived in, Durban stopped the wagon to ask a local person of the woman's whereabouts, letting on to Marri that like many nobles from the isles, he had a good grasp of French. Likely courtesy of Kitty and reinforced when he'd passed through as a nomad. One man pointed them toward a tiny house surrounded by gardens and flowers at the end of a street.
 
"That certainly looks like a place my Gran or her sister would live." Marri said as the wagon started trundling towards the little cottage.

As they drew up close to it, Marri scooped up Gabriel and made sure that he was still presentable. His hair was messy but she smoothed it as best she could before she stepped down from the wagon and put him down on his feet. Taking his little hand, they made their way to the front door and knocked, waiting to see if anyone would answer.
 
Upon her knock, Marri heard a soft voice call inside the house, and then the door opened and Marri was faced with a tall, lithe man her own age. He had bright red hair that wasn't very common in France, and sharply focused grey eyes.

"Evenin'," he welcomed her in a heavy Irish lilt. "Can I help ya?"
 
"Hello. I'm hoping that Gabriella lives here." Marri said softly as Gabriel pressed against her leg in a shyness as the man answered the door. "I'm Marri from Wales. My Gran was her sister."

She glanced down at her dark hair little boy as he wrapped an arm around her legs. "And this is Gabriel Ghis."
 
A smile spread across the Irishman's face as she told him her name and who she was. "You couldn' 'ave come at a better time, cousin. Gram could use a visitor." He offered her his hand to shake. "Rory Hamish. Gabriella's my Grandma." Marri had never known much about that side of her family, only that Gabriella had been a young mother and her daughter had run off to marry some Irishman at sixteen and never had the means to come back."

Rory smiled down at Gabriel, "Hiya, little guy. Come on in, both o' you." He then looked past them. "An' yer giant, there," he said with a merry chuckle as Durban came to follow them.
 
"This is my husband, Durban." Marri said as Durban came to join them, scooping up their son as he continued to shyly press his face against his father's shoulder.

She stepped into the house as Rory allowed her to, glancing around the clean and warm interior. She spotted Gabriella sitting in front of the window in a rocking chair, knitting a blanket out of blue wool. She looked so much like her Gran that it made her heart ache for a moment. She missed the woman terribly.

"Gabriella?" Marri murmured as she made her way towards the woman that she hadn't seen in many years. "Do you remember me? It's Marri."
 
Back
Top