The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2019 Support Thread

I just had that struggle for a short story submission of off LIT. Word limit 8-10k. I ended up at 26k and I was still writing, realized I was waaaaay to long, cut it in half at an obvious dividing line and ended up submitting a 16k story which I may or may not have to chop back if it's accepted. I am hopeless at cutting. I always end up rewriting and adding more. And more. And....

I knew the story. And the start, a concrete end and the steps in between, but keeping the words tight is always a struggle.

I have that trouble also. I start out trying to do a short flash story and wind up having a novella length piece at the end. Characters having big mouths with too much to say and doing things I hadn't thought of them doing, right there on the page in front of me. Sometime I get so embarrassed. :rolleyes:

I have that trouble also. I start out trying to do a short flash story and wind up having a novella length piece at the end. Characters having big mouths with too much to say and doing things I hadn't thought of them doing, right there on the page in front of me. Sometime I get so embarrassed. :rolleyes:

It's tough, I tell you. Tough. I mean, you start out writing a sweet little Christmas romance and things just go out of control... :eek:

I am permitting none of my characters to use violence on Valentine's Day. Not much anyhow. Okay, maybe just a little. Well, uh, okay, just a bit... how much ammo was there? Okay, we've got more? Alright!!!!!

But it's a restaurant?

Duck!

...I need to find those magic words that made her fall in love with him...
Historically the most successful pickup line is, "Hey, wanna fuck?"

Even with a 98% rejection rate, if asked 200 times daily, the results are positive.

If the question is changed to, "Shall I tongue you till you cum?" the rejection rate plummets.

True love likely follows.

Somehow, I find it hard to imagine a positive response to that question being a successful pickup.
In his autobiography, Harpo Marx documented that as Lionel Barrymore's favorite tactic.

In his autobiography, Harpo Marx documented that as Lionel Barrymore's favorite tactic.

I thought RubenR questioned whether he would value a woman who responded positively to the question, not whether it would work.

I thought RubenR questioned whether he would value a woman who responded positively to the question, not whether it would work.
That depends on which features and functions are evaluated, hey?

I guess I have peculiar preferences; I probably have an unusual taste, choice, feelings and thoughts. That doesn't bother me, though. :)
Right on.

Plot bunny: Hot-or-not siblings Sonny and Sissy (twins?) are challenged to a Valentine's Day contest. Each will nicely approach 100 random adults (any genders) and ask if they would care to copulate. Reactions are tabulated and scored. What is the prize?

What is the prize?

An orgy among the yeses. :cool: Masks are optional.

After my (first time) Christmas story experience I think I’ve had enough of these contests. But at least the bombers left my other stories alone, I was worried it might spill over.

I thought the bombing would stop after the contest was over too. :(

After my (first time) Christmas story experience I think I’ve had enough of these contests. But at least the bombers left my other stories alone, I was worried it might spill over.

There's one or two categories like Loving Wives where it'll spill over but after a while you cease to worry about it (took me 3.5 years but hey, you get there). Just wait until you start getting bloggers writing articles on you. LOL. :eek:

I like the contests, they always push me to write something new and this last one was no exception.

I'm surprised to see even one comment complaining about the non-con. The Sci-Fi&Fantasy readership is usually good about heeding warnings, which you provided quite plainly from the start.

That said, non-con will almost always take a hit score-wise anywhere outside of the category. Considering you're still above 4.5 ( visible on the public side, anyway ) I suspect it's more 4s and 3s than real 1-2 bombs. Those slightly lower scores just hit harder in a low vote category.

Non-con is a tough sell in contests, and it looks like that's your wheelhouse. Contests are still the best way to attract new eyes, though. You may attract some unwelcome attention during the contest, but you'll almost certainly build new readership to counter those temporary bad actors over the long run.

I'm surprised to see even one comment complaining about the non-con. The Sci-Fi&Fantasy readership is usually good about heeding warnings, which you provided quite plainly from the start.

That said, non-con will almost always take a hit score-wise anywhere outside of the category. Considering you're still above 4.5 ( visible on the public side, anyway ) I suspect it's more 4s and 3s than real 1-2 bombs. Those slightly lower scores just hit harder in a low vote category.

Non-con is a tough sell in contests, and it looks like that's your wheelhouse. Contests are still the best way to attract new eyes, though. You may attract some unwelcome attention during the contest, but you'll almost certainly build new readership to counter those temporary bad actors over the long run.

Yes, and that fan base builds up over time.... my pseudonymous entry has actually climbed since the contest closed and after the sweeps. Nice to see.

Oh yes they removed all the 1s the last day I think, I went from just over 4 to 4.6. Got a 1 this morning lol. I saw some 2s at the very start, not sure they remove 2s.

I would love to try a consensual story if I have time, but my readers want me focusing on my main series, and I can’t disappoint them. I love how the contests get me trying new ideas; writing the 15th chapter of a series has so many constraints it’s a bit stressful.

There's one or two categories like Loving Wives where it'll spill over but after a while you cease to worry about it (took me 3.5 years but hey, you get there). Just wait until you start getting bloggers writing articles on you. LOL. :eek:

I like the contests, they always push me to write something new and this last one was no exception.

I do like that aspect too, I’m already thinking about Valentines ideas. :) I’m kind of a romantic and have never tried to write a purely romantic consensual story.

How would I know if bloggers are writing about me? Not that I’d want to know . . .

I do like that aspect too, I’m already thinking about Valentines ideas. :) I’m kind of a romantic and have never tried to write a purely romantic consensual story.

How would I know if bloggers are writing about me? Not that I’d want to know . . .

Romantic First Time stories always get good feedback and good views and if you make it a feel good story, you won't get any trolls bar the usual contest ones.

Bloggers? No, better not to know. It's like book reviews. You want them, and then again, maybe you don't....

Historically the most successful pickup line is, "Hey, wanna fuck?"

Even with a 98% rejection rate, if asked 200 times daily, the results are positive.

If the question is changed to, "Shall I tongue you till you cum?" the rejection rate plummets.

True love likely follows.

Of course with the lick line you have to lick your eyebrows as you ask or it just doesn't work.

Anyone submitting in LW for the contest?

I’m tempted.

Yes. I’m taking my second Winter Holidays story that didn’t get finished and reworking it for Valentines Day. In Loving Wives. And it’s Interracial. Wooo hoooo.

Funny, I'm taking the eighth Winter Holiday story I didn't around to writing and recasting it for the April Fools' Day contest.

Anyone submitting in LW for the contest?

I’m tempted.

It looks like the last contest had a bunch of LW entries and they generally did pretty well. I spoke with one of those authors about it. They had been hammered at first but it inched up there over time.

BDSM for me. Rope. I'm trying to decide what type. I think I'll pick hemp, because I like the smell.
Let me know when it's up.

I've just had a character bail me out of a wannabe BDSM story (the next part to my Floating World - Madelyn story) because she knew I was faking it, absolutely clueless. I told Clearwater I couldn't write BDSM because I know nothing about the dynamics. So it will still be an EB story, with a pretty rope scene, but with other things going on that I don't know about yet, because my characters haven't told me. But when a character says, "this is all fake, write me out of this scene," you know it's not worth it.

Make sure hemp doesn't lock up if gets wet from sweat, is all I can say.

Let me know when it's up.

I've just had a character bail me out of a wannabe BDSM story (the next part to my Floating World - Madelyn story) because she knew I was faking it, absolutely clueless. I told Clearwater I couldn't write BDSM because I know nothing about the dynamics. So it will still be an EB story, with a pretty rope scene, but with other things going on that I don't know about yet, because my characters haven't told me. But when a character says, "this is all fake, write me out of this scene," you know it's not worth it.

Make sure hemp doesn't lock up if gets wet from sweat, is all I can say.

I don't expect sweat to be a problem. I have had some personal experience with the use of hemp rope in this way and have not dealt with that. But I'll give it some thought.

I have not written a rope story yet and am looking forward to getting it done. My hope is to get it submitted near the start of the competition.

As long as I post about this, I'm not writing stories, but feh, here goes. Stories are creeping around my prefrontal lobes, gesturing, whispering, but not quite emerging to perform. Some aren't fit for a contest. I scrawled Valentine story ideas on my greaseboard but they just aren't animating. Ratz. Maybe I can spin-off a planned chapter into a different universe. I'll see how that ferments.

Back