My Submission was Compressed and Edited Beyond What I feel is Acceptable; Appeal?

tj_shades

Virgin
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Posts
11
Last week I submitted an edit to a story I wrote a few months ago, the edit was just over 10,000 words, yet the edition that is now published is just over 8,000 words and is not true to the version I intended to publish. Can someone help me understand how much (20%?) of a story editors are allowed to chop, and what I may do to appeal this edit? I'm very upset the way whomever was kind enough to take the time to edit my story, ended up lopping off more of it than I feel is acceptable.

What are the rules for how much an editor may reduce a submitted story? And perhaps most important to me, what are the rules for Literotica authors to seek redress when they (we) disagree with edits?
 
Lit doesn't edit the story text beyond stripping out disallowed html.

When did the edit get approved? ( Vanish from the "Pending" folder, or the "edited" submission vanished, if you're using the old control panel )

If it was less than 24 hours ago, then the old version of your story is what you're seeing. It typically takes about 24 hours for the changes to a story to appear on the public side. Sometimes, as much as 48 hours. This is due to the site being cached.

Each page also updates separately. Page 1 could update to the new version, while Page 2 remains the old version temporarily. This could cause it to appear as if what is currently visible on the public side doesn't match either the old version or the edited version.

If it's been less than 24 hours, wait, and review the story again. Sometime between that 24-48 hour mark, all the text should change to the newly edited version. In my experience, it typically happens just shy of the 24 hour mark, or shortly thereafter. I only mention the 48 hour limit because that's the official word.
 
RejectReality, thank you for your reply! To answer your question, it has been less than 24 hours since my edit posted, and I suspect that in light of the information you included in your reply to my post, I am simply overly sensitive and exceedingly impatient. Thank you for setting me straight; I will try to put on my grown-up pants and wait more than 72 hours before once more thinking about crying wolf.

PS, your stories are great reads, thank you for posting links to them in your signature line!
 
If you need any pointers on how to add your own submissions to your signature, feel free to ask. It can be as simple as pasting the link to your submissions page into your signature line, which will automatically transform into a link.

Then there's the looney bbcode-fu that I do. LOL
 
RejectReality, thank you for your reply! To answer your question, it has been less than 24 hours since my edit posted, and I suspect that in light of the information you included in your reply to my post, I am simply overly sensitive and exceedingly impatient. Thank you for setting me straight; I will try to put on my grown-up pants and wait more than 72 hours before once more thinking about crying wolf.

If the issue persists, the explanation will be some sort of technical glitch rather than a deliberate edit. There's no editing service here once you submit a story, unless you yourself post an edit; the site mod (Laurel) either accepts stories as-is, or sends them back altogether.

But occasionally the site does seem to hiccup in creating new stories, so if the problem doesn't clear up after a few days, maybe PM Laurel and let her know about it.
 
Bramblethorn, thanks for your additional input, I'll keep an eye on things and do as you suggested if I notice the old version persisting.
 
Time for edit to happen.

I submitted a simple edit, to add a warning at the beginning of the story, two days ago. In my experience edits can take up to a week to happen depending on how many new stories Laurel has to deal with at the time. Priority goes to new stories not edits so if your edited version hasn’t yet appeared don’t panic. It will surface.

EDIT: I’ve just realised that the last comment was five days ago so your “problem” should have been solved but I’ll still leave this post on.
 
Last edited:
Emirus,

Thanks for your post! My problem has not come to a resolution yet. I waited 96 hours from the time the edit vanished from my "Pending" folder, contacted Laurel via pm (and whom I'm sure is quite busy, and from whom I received a reply essentially stating the same advice as you and the other experienced posters to this thread), but alas, nothing changed.

About three days ago, after replying to Laurel's message to let her know the edit still had not posted as a published work, and as of today still not receiving any (second) response, I re-submitted the same edit which I'd hoped, two weeks ago, to see published.

Hopefully the second time around, I'll see it published. The edit in question is, once again, in my pending folder, and once it vanishes from there (assuming, of course, I do not see it resurface in my "Sent Back" folder), I'll wait 96 hours before checking to see if this time I do in fact have joy.

As I noted, thank you for your post, I am reassured that pros like you, Bramblethorn and RejectReality did and continue to show interest in my dilemma.

Respectfully,

--tj
 
Edit successful?

I assume by now your edit has been published. How long did it take?
 
I assume by now your edit has been published. How long did it take?

Hello Emirus,

Thank you for prodding me to close the loop on this thread. I did finally get my edit published, but I had to re-submit it for publication. I originally submitted the edit in question for publication on 26-DEC-2018; it vanished from the "Pending" folder on 02-JAN-2019, but the edit never posted. On 07-JAN-2019 I re-submitted the edit in question for publication, and it vanished (and this time published as-submitted) on 15-JAN-2019.

Lesson learned. Be patient; if shit happens, just re-submit.
 
Back
Top