John Surtees only winner of Motorcycle and F1 World Championships

Hard_Rom

Northumbrian Skald
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Posts
13,623
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Surtees

John Surtees, CBE (11 February 1934 – 10 March 2017) was an English Grand Prix motorcycle road racer and Formula One driver. He was a four-time 500cc motorcycle World Champion – winning that title in 1956, 1958, 1959 and 1960 – the Formula One World Champion in 1964, and remains the only person to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels.

Surtees was the son of a south London motorcycle dealer. He had his first professional outing, which they won, in the sidecar of his father's Vincent. However, when race officials discovered Surtees's age, they were disqualified. He entered his first race at 15 in a grass track competition. In 1950, at the age of 16, he went to work for the Vincent factory as an apprentice. He made his first headlines in 1951 when he gave Norton star Geoff Duke a strong challenge in an ACU race at the Thruxton Circuit.

In 1956 Surtees won the 500cc world championship, MV Agusta's first in the senior class. In this Surtees was assisted by the FIM's decision to ban the defending champion, Geoff Duke, for six months because of his support for a riders' strike for more starting money. In the 1957 season, the MV Agustas were no match for the Gileras and Surtees battled to a third-place finish aboard a 1957 MV Agusta 500 Quattro. When Gilera and Moto Guzzi pulled out of Grand Prix racing at the end of 1957, Surtees and MV Agusta went on to dominate the competition in the two larger displacement classes. In 1958, 1959 and 1960, he won 32 out of 39 races and became the first man to win the Senior TT at the Isle of Man TT three years in succession.

In 1960, at the age of 26, Surtees switched from motorcycles to cars full-time, making his Formula 1 debut racing in the 1960 BRDC International Trophy at Silverstone for Team Lotus. He made an immediate impact with a second-place finish in only his second Formula One World Championship race, at the 1960 British Grand Prix, and a pole position at his third, the 1960 Portuguese Grand Prix. After spending the 1961 season with the Yeoman Credit Racing Team driving a Cooper T53 "Lowline" managed by Reg Parnell and the 1962 season with the Bowmaker Racing Team, still managed by Reg Parnell but now in the V8 Lola Mk4, he moved to Scuderia Ferrari in 1963 and won the World Championship for the Italian team in 1964.

031017-john-surtees-mv-agusta-isle-of-man-tt-633x485.jpg
 
Gilles Villeneuve was my fave as a kid. But when I got older and into motorcycles too I became a Surtees fan. Winning both 2 wheel and 4 wheel championships!
 
Gilles Villeneuve was my fave as a kid. But when I got older and into motorcycles too I became a Surtees fan. Winning both 2 wheel and 4 wheel championships!

And, winning on the Ilse of Man. What a stud. That must be one of the most dangerous courses ever.
 
Absolute childhood hero for me. An extraordinary man and so talented.

An inspiration on 2 and 4 wheels. Not only that but the way he coped or appeared to cope with his sons death and campaigning after.

I am shocked he wasn't recognised more in our honours system.

Also I don't think talent like him will have the same opportunities as racing is much more about sponsorship now.

Perhaps a few years ago if Valentino Rossi had persued f1 (as I recall him testing for Ferrari or at least playing with the Ferrari F1 car)
 
And, winning on the Ilse of Man. What a stud. That must be one of the most dangerous courses ever.

I would so love to do a somewhat fast lap of the island! On an old vintage rig too. But with a front disc brake.

Rossi was so dominant on two wheels I thought for sure he would transition to four and do well.
 
I would so love to do a somewhat fast lap of the island! On an old vintage rig too. But with a front disc brake.

Rossi was so dominant on two wheels I thought for sure he would transition to four and do well.

It doesn't seem to be something that many can do. Ive never been to the Isle of Man so that is on my list of must do's. I have some old videos from the last race that Triumph and other British bikes won that race. It was Japanese after that year.
 
I would so love to do a somewhat fast lap of the island! On an old vintage rig too. But with a front disc brake.

Rossi was so dominant on two wheels I thought for sure he would transition to four and do well.
You can ,but hospital treatment is free .It is a very tortuous circuit and not for the faint hearted .
 
Back
Top