Fighting the Hunger.

fire_breeze

Softly Seductive
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Posts
47,703
It's nearing that time of the month, and I have a hunger like you wouldn't believe. I am not talking about cravings or being peckish - those I can control - I am talking about stomach growling, ravenous, I-will-cook-a-full-meal, a litre- of-water-is-not-helping hunger.

I am on careful diet as I'd like to shed some stress-related weight, and these three days are always a hard struggle, not to mention the headache that comes along with it. I know that blood sugar drops in the second half of my cycle, so as someone who already has low-blood sugar, it's even lower.

Anyone with useful advice that won't pack on the calories, or personal tips? Google tells me the ins and out of the hunger, but aside from complex carbs, nothing much. I just would like not be starving any longer:rolleyes:.

Thank you :rose:

ETA: I've received some PMs that seems to think I have lots to lose, so just to clarify, we are talking about 10 pounds. I do amply fine outside of those 3 days where I am truly, honestly, really hungry. All. The. Damn. Time.

Also, although I did mention it in later posts, I do have hypothyroidism (not hyper). It's very much under control - at least it was 2 weeks ago when I went for my complete blood-work.
 
Last edited:
See your doctor about your blood sugar at that time of the month. I just got through reading the book that came with my new blood glucose meter and the kind of hunger you describe is a symptom of Hyperglycemia -- high blood sugar/low insulin.
 
I used to be a fat schlub. In the year since I started writing here at LIT, I've dropped 1/3 of my body weight (a large amount) and I have about another 15% to go, to reach my goal. And the weight is staying off.

How? My glib answer is that I follow the Ed Taylor Diet (as mentioned in Richard Preston's superb THE WILD TREES). Ed was a fat schlub who realized he was fat because he ate too much. His diet: DON'T EAT TOO MUCH. It's pretty much like the Physics Diet: If you consume more calories than you expend, you get fat. If not, you don't.

Another answer: It was like a switch flipping in my head, same as when I quit smoking a few decades back. In one setting, it's OK to be a smoker, fat, whatever. Flip the switch, and it's not OK anymore. My fat-switch flipped. I am no longer comfortable with the weight. I don't want it anymore.

Which leads to a basic rule of personal transformation: YA REALLY GOTTA WANNA, 'CAUSE IF YA DON'T WANNA, YA AIN'T GONNA.

Let's talk of dropping weight. Not weight loss -- we usually don't like losing things -- best to just flush the weight and not think about losing it and finding it again. Anyway, effecting that weight drop, permanently cutting calories, is not easy, else everybody would do it. And I don't approach this blindly. I took medical nutrition courses back when I was on a pre-med track (long ago). I went through an HMO's non-medical weight control program and learned tricks... which I didn't apply for a decade. My switch hadn't flipped yet.

What I learned, and now apply, that WORK, includes:

1) It's OK to be hungry. You don't need to always feel sated.
2) Do you control hunger or does hunger control YOU? Who's in charge?
3) Any 'diet' should be followed 93% of the time. But every now and then, EAT.
4) Don't adopt a diet unless it works for you. Most diets don't work (the switch hasn't flipped.)
5) Calorie-counting may or may not work for you. Calorie AWARENESS always works.

About (1+2): Yes, I get hungry. I drink lots of teas and light soups, hot and cold -- this reduces hunger. I'll start the morning with a cup of decaff coffee, then have cups of cocoa, ginger tea, other teas, all using non-sugar sweeteners. That's breakfast. Lunch may be a bowl of miso soup with a few mini-wontons thrown in (total: 90 calories).

About (3): Every couple weeks, I'll have a big gourmet hamburger, or a Chinese or Indian buffet lunch, heavy on the protein. This food load helps reset my metabolism, which otherwise thinks it's starving and becomes more efficient. If my weight stabilized for a few days before that big meal, it drops again in the days afterward.

About (4+5): Other than lots of liquids, my basic 'diet' is: lots of veggies (they're almost non-caloric); as much protein as possible (necessary to maintain muscles); as few carbs as possible (unless doing lots of exercise); potatoes microwaved instead of fried, or rice, or bread -- in fact, eliminate as much maize corn and wheat as possible (for technical reasons). Dramatic reduction of sugars, including alcohol -- which is HARD for a lifelong drinker.

Cut way back on fats and carbs. I'll microwave a potato so it seems baked, then slather it with non-fat sour cream and bits of scallions, for about 100 calories, 1/2 the load of a pint of sugared soda. I seek out reduced- and nonfat dairy products. I read labels for nutritional info. I fix most foods from fresh components (except maybe sauces etc). I stay aware.

So, to get to your question: Follow the 93% rule (or 96% or whatever works for you). Be good most of the time, but once every week or two, EAT -- but mainly protein. Then get some exercise. Long walks are wonderful. I carry an audio recorder and tape story ideas as I walk. Yes, what squirts out of me, ends up here at LIT. Enjoy!
 
Thank you both for your responses! :rose:

WeirdHarold, I guess it's time to make an appointment with my GP - or at least bring this up to her at my yearly. I kinda downplayed it the last time :eek:.

Thank you for the tip Hypoxia - I'll try adding more protein and see if that works. The switch metaphor is exactly how I lost 70lbs - it was waking up one morning and not wanting the extra weight - so it makes perfect sense.

For what it's worth, I have tried to ignore this hunger during the two days, but either I cannot concentrate or it induced a migraine, which is why I know that it's not me being peckish. Hypothyroidism is a bitch :rolleyes:.
 
Oh, I know what you're hungry for . . . Have I shown you a picture of my . . . recently? ;):rose:

What you really need is a good fajita! ;):rose:

Don't tell me you're looking for real answers! :eek:;):rose:;);) I can identify with your cravings during certain times, for certain reasons. While I can't really help you with true hunger, other than to say, eat something that is healthy and sating, what I can say is that food cravings, whether they be just wanting to gnosh on something, to needing to eat the hind quarters of a moose, tend to be emotionally based, hormonal too, certainly, but if you're getting your "3 squares a day" and yet you still are starving, look to emotionally driven issues. :rose:
 
Not sure how healthy it is but I've used caffeine in whatever form takes your fancy as an appetite suppressant in the past.
 
NM- I was waiting for the quips :p you did not disappoint ;)

Shiny- thank you for the input! With my endocrine condition, I can't take supplements but if it's an excuse to up my coffee... well, I'm in!

I don't think I was very clear in describing the hunger during pms: for example, today's dinner was something that outside of this time would have satisfied me for the rest of the evening. Tonight, on the other hand, I was ravenous after an hour and half, to the point I cooked myself another meal. It was not just cravings either: it was a healthy meal too. It was not just being bored: when I am hungry, I faint.

This has been going on for a while, since I got off of the Pill. I just finally got sick o either eating for two for two-three days or practically fainting.

I hope that this clarifies some! And I very much appreciate all the tips! Thank you all so much :rose:
 
NM- I was waiting for the quips :p you did not disappoint ;)

You know I tease, but you also know that I genuinely care. This sounds like a question for your doctor, since indications are that it is a cyclical hormonal imbalance, post pill, then it stands to reason that you need to have your hormone levels checked and a plan put into place to rectify the problem.

I'm not talking about asking for hormone replacement or getting back on the pill, I'm saying that you actually need to find out what is going on in your body, and feed it accordingly, with the right hormones and food intake (actual food and natural supplements ) to regulate your body's normal metabolism requirements.

It is easy to pop prescription medications to placate your doctor and your mind, but this does not cure the problem, it only masks the symptoms your body is presenting. Figure out what is going on, and work to rectify the source of the problem.:rose:
 
aw man.. I typed a response yesterday and lost connection while it was posting. It is forever stuck in the electronic graveyard.

I have also experienced that type of hunger, Fire. It is as close to "insatiable" as I can get with my clothes on. The only thing I have found that helps is cooking a bunch of nutrient dense items that I can grab when it hits. I typically make a baked oatmeal with berries and nuts for breakfast. It serves a bunch and it will last a week in the fridge. I don't necessarily buy into the low-carb for this particular few days. You need the iron and it is pretty easy to get if you pick the right grains.

Add cabbages to your salads. They're chewier and will take you longer to eat.
Throw berries into everything.
Plan your entire day. If you know you'll need 8 snacks, get them ready in the AM.
Anticipate your hunger and just plan on eating every 2 hours.
Enjoy long, slow exercise to help calm your stress levels.
Get a massage. Cranio-sacral is great for "that time."

Hang in there.

Penzeys Baked Oatmeal

2 3/4 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked (You can add quinoa, flax)
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup dried berries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/3 cups skim milk (I have used both almond and coconut milk with success)
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350.
2 Spray an 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
3 In a large bowl combine oats, sugar, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
4 In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla and mix well.
5 Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
6 Pour into a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool slightly. Serve topped with milk, yogurt, fruit or enjoy plain. Store leftover oatmeal tightly covered in the fridge.
 
Bodies aren't fooled by no-cal bull shit and water. Gotta be some nutrients in it.

What I do is eat foods that are high in nutrients and naturally low in carbs. You prolly don't like what I like so you gotta identify the foods you like that meet the criteria. I'm a food for OKRA, SWEET POTATOES, RED POTATOES, CABBAGE, TURNIPS, BROCCOLI, TOMATOES, EGGS, OAT MEAL.

Like, for lunch 8 ounces of grilled skinless chicken is 160 calories, an 8 ounce white potato is 200 calories, broccoli is 50 calories, sliced tomato is another 50 calories; call it 500 calories. I'm not feeling deprived, either. Supper is something like 4 ounces of ham, cabbage, a salad made of spinach tomatoe boiled egg with cheese sprinkles and vinegar. 500 calories. Breakfast is 3 boiled eggs 270 calories, and 2 pieces of toast 180 calories. I use a zero calorie margarine on the toast. Or I may eat 3 packs of oatmeal at 300 calories. Say 500-600 calories altogether.

I'm kinda active so I lose 10 pounds a month with my way. And I don't obsess with hunger.
 
When I met my wife she was in the middle of a 170lb weight loss.

She got down to a nice weight and has managed to maintain it. Part of that is attending OA meeting for people who suffer from food addiction.

I've met many of them and some like her are healthy now, but others are morbidly obese and struggling

And for my wife each meal is a dance with the devil. An alcoholic or a drug addict once they are clean they can avoid their problem a food addict has to feed their addiction three times a day and be able to stop. A constant fight and a life long one.

My point?

Is it drives me up a fucking wall to hear someone complaining about ten fucking pounds.

I don't know what's worse that you think ten pounds is just terrible and unhealthy or that society(mostly asshat men) have you convinced that ten pounds makes a difference.

Either way its a shame. I think you need more body image help then you do ways to avoid food.
 
When I met my wife she was in the middle of a 170lb weight loss.

She got down to a nice weight and has managed to maintain it. Part of that is attending OA meeting for people who suffer from food addiction.

I've met many of them and some like her are healthy now, but others are morbidly obese and struggling

And for my wife each meal is a dance with the devil. An alcoholic or a drug addict once they are clean they can avoid their problem a food addict has to feed their addiction three times a day and be able to stop. A constant fight and a life long one.

My point?

Is it drives me up a fucking wall to hear someone complaining about ten fucking pounds.

I don't know what's worse that you think ten pounds is just terrible and unhealthy or that society(mostly asshat men) have you convinced that ten pounds makes a difference.

Either way its a shame. I think you need more body image help then you do ways to avoid food.

The same flame that tempers steel melts butter.
 
My top tips

Exercise - high intensity workouts

Increase lean protein and reduce carbs in week leading up to period

Vitamin C and mineral balance supplements

Breathe deep and focus on yourself
 
I would also get my thyroid checked. I had hyperthyroidism and I"m telling you I've never eaten so much in my life. I could finish my plateful, grab some from hubby's plate and top it off with a second serving of my own. My stomach was constantly growling, no joke. (and I was always a person who had trouble finishing off a normal plateful)

I would also second lean proteins, whole grains (I use spelt flour to make biscuits or oatcakes with, as I find spelt normalizes my blood sugar) and cinnamon is known for keeping your blood sugar on an even keel, so I would toss a pinch of cinnamon in my morning coffee or add it to dishes if you can. Oatmeal is good too (although I would stick to the type that you cook, NOT the instant stuff). quinoa (the grain can be used in place of pasta or rice and is a source of protein, be sure to rinse the grain before cooking). Eat a boiled egg as a snack in between meals (the protein should help). Brown rice. beans.

I hope this helps.
 
Is it drives me up a fucking wall to hear someone complaining about ten fucking pounds.

I don't know what's worse that you think ten pounds is just terrible and unhealthy or that society(mostly asshat men) have you convinced that ten pounds makes a difference.

Either way its a shame. I think you need more body image help then you do ways to avoid food.

And it drives me up a fucking wall when people make snap judgements about someone who they no fucking clue about. :mad:

Breezey is the last person who could be accused of having poor self image. She's a pretty smart cookie when it comes to healthy body image vs the false assumptions our society tries to perpetuate*. There is a huge difference between someone who obsesses about their weight for vanity's sake, and someone who just wants to be the healthiest person they can be. I know Breezey to be someone who falls into the latter category. Further, many is the time I've seen her offer healthy, sound, and compassionate advice to many others who struggle with weight issues.

For the record, weight gain is one of the symptoms and side effects of hypothyroidism (which Breezey has). While meds can help, it's not a perfect system, and it can take quite awhile to discover and establish the correct dosage to restore balance. Even then it's not an exact science, nor is it a one time fix, as other hormonal fluctuations can certainly throw things off kilter. For someone with thyroid issues, being aware of one's weight fluctuations is an act of self care, NOT of vanity.

Breezey listens to her body, and she's worked pretty fucking hard to drop 70 lbs. She's savvy enough to know when something isn't right, as she mentions in her OP. But instead of congratulating her for doing what she needs to do to monitor her health, you've come in here and ripped her a new one. Nice going, ace. Do you also berate diabetics for monitoring their blood sugar levels? :rolleyes:



*Note: She's a pretty smart cookie all around.
 
Last edited:
First thing, I would definitely look into getting your thyroid checked. I have a hyperactive thyroid and was ALWAYS hungry. Your thyroid controls so much of your immune system, it's worth getting it checked out regardless. Before I got it regulated, I was eating like shit and nothing but junk food would satisfy me.

With that being said, my go-to food is quinoa. It's healthy, I'm pretty sure it's a complete protein, and it tastes good. Just fill your fridge with filling, good foods (chick peas are another favorite of mine) and you can eat without feeling guilty about it.
 
It's nearing that time of the month, and I have a hunger like you wouldn't believe. I am not talking about cravings or being peckish - those I can control - I am talking about stomach growling, ravenous, I-will-cook-a-full-meal, a litre- of-water-is-not-helping hunger.

I am on careful diet as I'd like to shed some stress-related weight, and these three days are always a hard struggle, not to mention the headache that comes along with it. I know that blood sugar drops in the second half of my cycle, so as someone who already has low-blood sugar, it's even lower.

Anyone with useful advice that won't pack on the calories, or personal tips? Google tells me the ins and out of the hunger, but aside from complex carbs, nothing much. I just would like not be starving any longer:rolleyes:.

Thank you :rose:

ETA: I've received some PMs that seems to think I have lots to lose, so just to clarify, we are talking about 10 pounds. I do amply fine outside of those 3 days where I am truly, honestly, really hungry. All. The. Damn. Time.

Fire_Breeze,

Please talk to your Doctor to make certain there isn't a health issue like diabetes happening. You mentioned drinking a litre of water without 'satisfaction' and that concerns me ... In the mean time, lots and lots and lots of sex will drop your weight!
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses! I very much appreciate the tips and the discussions.

I realised that I wasn't too clear in my initial and consequent post: those who suggested that I get my thyroid checked because of hyperthyroidism: I have hypothyroidism - just the opposite - so my thyroid along along with others - including prolactin and glucose- are checked twice-yearly (I had a complete blood work done, two weeks ago, actually) since I was 16. All of my levels are where they should be. Thank you for your concern:rose:; though I mentioned this in a later post, it was not clear and I have rectified this in my OP.

The only reason I mentioned the weight is because of the above and the difficulty of losing, I record everything and watch what I eat so I do notice absolutely a correlation.

I have this starvation right before my period, and not any other time. I guess I really shouldn't complain, because along with extremely sensitive ladies, that's the only PMS symptom I ever have.

Thank you again. :rose:
 
(I had a complete blood work done, two weeks ago, actually) since I was 16. All of my levels are where they should be. Thank you for your concern:rose:; though I mentioned this in a later post, it was not clear and I have rectified this in my OP.

Was the blood work done during the short period you have this problem each month?

It does sound as if something is going out of whack due to the hormonal changes associated with your period -- Hyperglycemia and Iron Deficiency are just two possibilities, but they aren't going to show up unless the blood work is done in the couple of days the problem is present.
 
I may be over-simplifying but is this not a hormone-related issue?
I was thinking something to do with the surge in progesterone the week before a period and then subsequent drop-off?
Higher than usual levels of progesterone (like in the week before a period) can lead to changes in metabolism and carb-cravings.

If you've recently just changed your birth control method, this could account for only noticing this hunger since.

Just thinking aloud really - I'm all too familiar with the hunger. :cool:
 
I'm sorry.. but you men just don't understand that "I can't continue working because I'm so hungry" feeling that comes with your monthly cycle.
 
I'm sorry.. but you men just don't understand that "I can't continue working because I'm so hungry" feeling that comes with your monthly cycle.

dude i get that way every day around 1:30, especially if i don't have breakfast
 
Thank you for your concern:rose:; though I mentioned this in a later post, it was not clear and I have rectified this in my OP.

Feh. You mentioned hypothyroidism in post #4. No apology needed. If people read for clarity instead of speed, they'd have picked up on that. (Note: my ire isn't directed at anyone who voiced a genuine concern for Breezey - just the one who unfairly attacked her.)

I have this starvation right before my period, and not any other time. I guess I really shouldn't complain, because along with extremely sensitive ladies, that's the only PMS symptom I ever have.

Thank you again. :rose:

No, Breezey, don't do that. Don't make light of this. While it's true that many women get extremely hungry during PMS, how many experience it to the point where it induces a migraine or of feeling faint as a result? You, of all people, know how the slightest hormonal changes can effect the rest of our systems. Please, err on the side of caution and speak to your endo about this. :rose:
 
Back
Top