Comments

Very proud of Harry and it seeing the light of day in my thread, makes it all worthwhile getting this forum writing again instead of being taken over by those who just want to fight and hear the sound of their own voices
yeah, but what have I done lately
Old context, now new:
the comment, the commentators... thank you for all that comment and share on NP sticky, I never get over there without you.

Very proud of Harry and it seeing the light of day in my thread, makes it all worthwhile getting this forum writing again instead of being taken over by those who just want to fight and hear the sound of their own voices
xxxx number of posts/number of years

xxxx number of comments/number of posts

content of comments and posts?
question everything as in what is worthwhile writing

it begins to fall down

What is the purpose of a poem? Can anything at all be communicated through words?

I like very much your going back to basics! Words seem like sonic ghosts of things experienced through senses, and that's where I think performing arts may have the upper hand.

I like very much your going back to basics! Words seem like sonic ghosts of things experienced through senses, and that's where I think performing arts may have the upper hand.

That was a loaded question, pelegrino, but thank you nonetheless for contributing your opinion. That's an interesting idea you've presented, and it's similar to something that has been on my mind. Poetry works on a medium that is intrinsically weaker than, say, images, sounds, and so on. Write a raw, emotive poem about hunger and it may or may not hit home. Show a person a photograph of a child starving somewhere in the world, and it's bound to get a big reaction. "Sonic ghosts", indeed.

That was a loaded question, pelegrino, but thank you nonetheless for contributing your opinion. That's an interesting idea you've presented, and it's similar to something that has been on my mind. Poetry works on a medium that is intrinsically weaker than, say, images, sounds, and so on. Write a raw, emotive poem about hunger and it may or may not hit home. Show a person a photograph of a child starving somewhere in the world, and it's bound to get a big reaction. "Sonic ghosts", indeed.

...and a picture paints a thousand words

and yet, a picture is composed of how many pixels? thousands? i don't know. but it is a fact that individual pixels or groups won't convey what their sum does. and so itis with poetry or, indeed, music or perhaps all artforms.

what is a poem if not pictures/sounds/feelings (and more) all tied up in a small package of words? seems to me that, given the right subject matter, it's easier to point a camera and capture something that will 'communicate' a mood, an emotional content, than it is to try and create the same from 2-D black and white text. When that text works, though, there can be an incredible strength of contact.

and yet, a picture is composed of how many pixels? thousands? i don't know. but it is a fact that individual pixels or groups won't convey what their sum does. and so itis with poetry or, indeed, music or perhaps all artforms.

what is a poem if not pictures/sounds/feelings (and more) all tied up in a small package of words? seems to me that, given the right subject matter, it's easier to point a camera and capture something that will 'communicate' a mood, an emotional content, than it is to try and create the same from 2-D black and white text. When that text works, though, there can be an incredible strength of contact.

Yes!

Another consideration is the subjectivity of human response. I respond more to music than visual art, for example. That doesn't make one art form better or more effective than another. It's just my individual response. We are each operating with a unique set of experiences and preferences.

And as much as I love hearing music, I find words on a page magical because I can take my time and let my imagination savor the nuances of meaning. I love live performance, too, but reading and music engage my imagination more readily.

*sigh*

It seems I have a way of leading threads off their rails, lately. Back to you, 12.

Yes!

Another consideration is the subjectivity of human response. I respond more to music than visual art, for example. That doesn't make one art form better or more effective than another. It's just my individual response. We are each operating with a unique set of experiences and preferences.

And as much as I love hearing music, I find words on a page magical because I can take my time and let my imagination savor the nuances of meaning. I love live performance, too, but reading and music engage my imagination more readily.

There again you have me. I have to agree with both. It is really that set of responses that each of us is pre-loaded with that is in operation.

Question about Comments:

If someone disables comments on a poem, do previously made comments on said poem become invisible?

I left a comment on a new poem yesterday and now it is gone.

Question about Comments:

If someone disables comments on a poem, do previously made comments on said poem become invisible?

I left a comment on a new poem yesterday and now it is gone.

The author can also edit out individual comments. I've had comments I've made disappear, too, though I don't know if the author removed them or the system is buggy.

The author can also edit out individual comments. I've had comments I've made disappear, too, though I don't know if the author removed them or the system is buggy.

Whatever the case, it is a surefire method of having the rest of your poetry ignored.

Whatever the case, it is a surefire method of having the rest of your poetry ignored.

True. I never did it myself when I submitted poems here, but some people do just like some people one-bomb or give their friends fives. It is why I have stuck closer to the forum (as opposed to submitting poems) over the years.

Back