Best sentence you've ever heard?

"Boys, you're going to have to learn not to talk to nuns that way."

"It wasn't lies, just bullshit."

"They're not going to catch us, we're on a mission from god."

"The soup is fucking ten dollars."

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

"Ma'am, you've got to understand that this is a lot bigger than any domestic problems you may be experiencing."

"Tell me about this piano."
"You have a good eye, finest in the city of Chicago."
"How much?"
"2000 bucks and it's yours, you can take it home with you, matter of fact, I'll throw in the black keys for free."

"Oh we've got both kinds, Country and Western."

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail me now."

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
-the Blues Brothers

"I thought you had to do something good to be a celebrity?"
"Not if you do it colorfully."

-Major League

"You're probably too young to know, but the empire is always in some kind of peril."
-the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

"The story is this: She was in the way when I was peeing, she walked past."
-Tropic Thunder

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas

"I have to say, Captain, I'm impressed that you would come for her yourself, and that you would make it this far, in that outfit."
-Serenity

"These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has, perhaps, faced no greater threat than it

does today. But I say this to our citizenry: we, ever your servants, will continue to defend your

liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry… remains… strong!"

— Minister for Magic Rufus Scrimgeour

on a bumper sticker last night

"I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick."

"In a world of locked rooms . . . the man with the key is king, and honey, you should see me in a crown." Moriarty, from BBC Sherlock. Have many favourite quotes from that show, as well as the canon ^^

"This must be where pies go when they die."
"If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."
"I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, fore-fleshing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is."
"At least you'll never be a vegetable, even artichokes have hearts."

JOHN LE CARRE Call For The Dead

When Lady Ann Sercomb married George Smiley towards the end of the war she described him to her astonished Mayfair friends as breathtakingly ordinary. When she left him two years later in favour of a Cuban motor racing driver, she announced enigmatically that if she hadn't left him then, she never could have done; and Viscount Sawley made a special journey to his club to observe that the cat was out of the bag.

This remark, which enjoyed a brief season as a mot, can only be understood by those who knew Smiley. Short, fat, and of a quiet disposition, he appeared to spend a lot of money on really bad clothes, which hung about his squat frame like skin on a shrunken toad. Sawley, in fact, declared at the wedding that 'Sercomb was mated to a bullfrog in a sou'wester'. And Smiley, unaware of this description, had waddled down the aisle in search of the kiss that would turn him into a Prince.

Was he rich or poor, peasant or priest? Where had she got him from? The incongruity of the match was emphasized by Lady Ann's undoubted beauty, its mystery stimulated by the disproportion between the man and his bride. But gossip must see its characters in black and white, equip them with sins and motives easily conveyed in the shorthand of conver*sation. And so Smiley, without school, parents, regiment or trade, without wealth or poverty, travelled without labels in the guard's van of the social express, and soon became lost luggage, destined, when the divorce had come and gone, to remain unclaimed on the dusty shelf of yesterday's news.

When Lady Ann followed her star to Cuba, she gave some thought to Smiley. With grudging admiration she admitted to herself that if there were an only man in her life, Smiley would be he. She was gratified in retrospect that she had demonstrated this by holy matrimony.

The effect of Lady Ann's departure upon her former husband did not interest society – which indeed is unconcerned with the aftermath of sensation.

Last edited by a moderator:

When Lady Ann Sercomb married George Smiley towards the end of the war she described him to her astonished Mayfair friends as breathtakingly ordinary. When she left him two years later in favour of a Cuban motor racing driver, she announced enigmatically that if she hadn't left him then, she never could have done; and Viscount Sawley made a special journey to his club to observe that the cat was out of the bag.

This remark, which enjoyed a brief season as a mot, can only be understood by those who knew Smiley. Short, fat, and of a quiet disposition, he appeared to spend a lot of money on really bad clothes, which hung about his squat frame like skin on a shrunken toad. Sawley, in fact, declared at the wedding that 'Sercomb was mated to a bullfrog in a sou'wester'. And Smiley, unaware of this description, had waddled down the aisle in search of the kiss that would turn him into a Prince.

Was he rich or poor, peasant or priest? Where had she got him from? The incongruity of the match was emphasized by Lady Ann's undoubted beauty, its mystery stimulated by the disproportion between the man and his bride. But gossip must see its characters in black and white, equip them with sins and motives easily conveyed in the shorthand of conver*sation. And so Smiley, without school, parents, regiment or trade, without wealth or poverty, travelled without labels in the guard's van of the social express, and soon became lost luggage, destined, when the divorce had come and gone, to remain unclaimed on the dusty shelf of yesterday's news.

When Lady Ann followed her star to Cuba, she gave some thought to Smiley. With grudging admiration she admitted to herself that if there were an only man in her life, Smiley would be he. She was gratified in retrospect that she had demonstrated this by holy matrimony.

The effect of Lady Ann's departure upon her former husband did not interest society – which indeed is unconcerned with the aftermath of sensation.

That was.... Something!

Dammit I meant to read his books after watching TTSS, now I really want to after reading this ><

Dammit I meant to read his books after watching TTSS, now I really want to after reading this ><

Its a wonderful short book, Le Carre's first. After the intro Smiley interviews an old Commie and clears the man of all official suspicions and interest; the man then goes home, writes a damning letter against Smiley, mails it, and promptly kills himself. The Circus falls atop George, who's treated badly by everyone thruout the book.

Read this one, then A MURDER OF QUALITY, then TTSS, then SMILEYS PEOPLE, then THE HONORABLE SCHOOL BOY, and then THE SECRET PILGRIM. Then agonize cause no more Smiley books exist.

Order a pizza & call the cops we’ll see who gets here first.

- Modern Family

"That's the kind of girl I dream about, but you should see the ones I get."
-Africa Screams

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" -Molly Weasley

--- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

“Don't forget I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

Back