The King and I (closed)

"And of course you will go along, as phenominal as my brain is, your notes seem to make more sense to me than my own."

He didn't look up from the papers as he spoke, just smiled. The car came to a halt and he folded the papers, slipping them into his inside jacket pocket. He resisted the urge to brush over his hair with his hand, instead he ran his fingers through Charlotte's hair and grinned at her reaction.

"Got to enjoy it while I can."

He got out as the door opened and raised his hand at the cheers and of course a charming smile helped to complete the image of the "perfect prince" although he knew that he was very far from perfect. The guards ushered him and Charlotte to the front of the motorcade, a small girl came up to Donovan, he had been lectured to take the flowers and shake her hand. He smiled at her when she held out the flowers, he took them and gave them to Charlotte, then to everybody's surprise and shock he went down on one knee and gave the little girl a hug, she returned it either out of instinct or habit, countless camera's flashed. He looked into her eyes,

"What is your name?"

"Sophie...uhm...your highness?"

He smiled again and took her hand, from his pocket he pulled a silver rose, inlaid with blue saphire breast pin, he placed it in her hand and closed her fingers around it.

"Hereby I grant you a boon, whenever you need anything from me, you can present this to me."

He winked at her,

"It was good to meet you young Sophie,"

He got to his feet and grinned at the shocked nobility,

"It's like is written in the good book, never let down a child."

He was quite unaware that the little show of affection had almost made him a national cult hero instantly.

Charlie had long grown use to Dave going off protocol and doing whatever he wanted. Giving a precious jewel to a little girl…well, that was a new one. Glancing at the king and queen, she saw the surprise in their eyes, the utter confusion that he would mingle with a commoner like that.

“Things are a little different back home.” She explained with a shrug of her shoulders before Dave took over the explanation of what he’d done before leading the small party towards the podium where the speech would be given.

She gave him a smile, sighing softly as she looked over the crowd of a very adoring public. He had done good with that little move, smoothing over relations and probably softening the blow when he announced that he would not be marrying the princess.

The walk was not very far, they got onto the stage and took their seats, the princess to his left and Charlotte to his right, he listened to the opening speech and he was introduced, he stood up and walked over to the podium, he shook the king's hand and faced the people,

"Thank you, on the way here, I wondered all the time what I will have to say, but in the end it is actually so easy. As everybody know I love my country, I love my people and of course I will do anything I can to further the fortunes and lives of my people. Coming here, spending time here I have seen that your king loves his country and his people as much as I do and what he does, he does for you all. Now I have heard rumors that I came here to cement a lasting relation between our two great nations by proposing a marriage."

He turned to look at the princess and smiled slightly at her,

"With all respect, that way of cementing a relationship with a kingdom through marriage is absolutely..."

He smiled,

"The more diplomatic word is obsolete, I'll call it silly."

There was a collective gasp, he held up his hand,

"Hear me out first, here you have an absolutely beautiful, incredibly smart, perceptive and kind-hearted princess, to marry her off to some person that she doesn't know or love is a crime, it is a crime for one reason only, she will be doing a service to everybody else except herself. I feel that she should be given a chance to decide for herself and actually have an option for a change."

A positive murmur went up and he knew he had them, it was not what Charlie had written, well not completely away from it, but not exactly what she wrote. He eased his speech back into the direction that Charlie wanted it to go and he stuck with it, in the end he received a great ovation, but he knew that he had actually left them with a few things to talk and think about.

If Charlotte could have sank beneath the floorboards, she would have. Dave was one of the most infuriating, stubborn people that she’d ever known in her life. He did what he wanted, damn propriety and the consequences of doing such. It didn’t matter that what he was saying was true…one day it all might come back to bite him in the ass.

When he was finished, the look that she gave him was one that was not amused. She pursed her lips tightly together, watching as he waved to the crowds around them. She waited until he led the way into their lunch meeting. She followed behind Dave, sighing softly as she thought about what he’d told the crowd.

They headed for an old house which was clearly centuries old, met by various staff they stood out on a balcony as the procession started to march by, loud music and cheering followed as various symbolic people and icons came past them.

"You do love to shock don't you your highness?"

Dave turned to the voice to find the youngest princess at his elbow, he smiled at her,

"Of course, why must one hide behind words and traditions if the truth would be much more fitting?"

She nodded slightly and patted his elbow,

"A pity you are leaving so soon, our country have much to show you."

With a smile she moved away, leaving him to wonder what on earth she meant with that remark.

Once they entered the dining room where their lunch had been set up, Charlie took her seat beside Dave, waiting until everyone was well into their meal before she spoke.

“Do you think that we might be able to get out of this country without you causing any more controversy?” She asked, glancing over at the handsome man at her side as she watched him take a bite of what was on his plate. “You’re not even crowned, Donovan! You have to be careful.”

He smiled at Charlotte's remark,

"Come now Charlie, I wasn't THAT bad, I just smoothed things over, making people think."

He half-turned to her,

"It made you think as well, you were brushing at stray hairs that wasn't there, you do that when you're thinking deeply."

He smiled at her,

"I know you too well Charlie, come on, you have to admit it wasn't that bad."

Charlotte stared at Dave for a long moment and finally sighed deeply. She reached out and touched his cheek in a familiar and tender expression. “It wasn’t that bad, but it’s my job to keep you safe. I’m afraid saying the things you are will put you in danger.”

It was the truth. She needed to get Dave crowned and safe on his throne before she let him act in any radical way he wanted. She feared a future where he was injured or killed because someone took offence to his words.

He patted her hand and smiled,

"Even when I'm crowned it will be the same, I doubt that my standing will change the way people take my words, the only thing is that when they react negatively to it, it means that they are more narrow minded than the world which produced these old customs."

He turned his attention to his meal,

"Anyway, that leaves you open to make your own decision as well."

Charlie remained quiet for a moment as he told her that she could make her own decision as well. Her decision had been made so many years before. Didn’t he know that?

“Donovan.” She said, placing her hand over the top of his one more time. “I made my own decisions a long time ago. I love you. I always have. I guess I’m just waiting for the day…that you ask me to be yours.”

He glanced at her and gave her a slight smile,

"Was that before or after the first kiss baroness?"

He grinned at the sudden blush and placed his knife down, turning his hand under her own, his fingers closing over her hand.

"Don't worry, I will keep my nose clean and we can discuss the terms of my surrender in great depth after the coronation."

He gave her a smile and her hand a gentle squeese, to the casual observer, he was just giving her moral support on a matter.

“If I’m honest…way before that first kiss.” She said softly, glancing down as he closed his fingers around her hand. She blushed at her confession and lowered her eyes from his, unable to look into his honest gaze any longer.

“Well, when you put it in such flowery terms, I’m sure our engagement will be smooth and peaceful.” Charlie said, a smile crossing her lips as he described their union as a surrender.

She was quiet for a moment as he smiled and squeezed her hand, giving her the support that she needed. “I love you, Your Highness.”

"And I have loved you for longer than you would believe."

He released her hand and picked up his cutlery, luckily their conversation could not be overheard, that much was clear when the princess leaned over to him asking if everything was alright. He nodded,

"Just troubling news from home your highness."

The explanation was valid and it deterred further probing for now. The meal passed and soon they were on their way to the castle again, it was to be the last night here as their flight left early the next morning. He managed to draw Charlotte aside, making sure they could not be overheard, he gave her a smile and whispered in her ear,

"Remember how I used to sneak out of my room? Tonight I'm going to do it again..."

He paused and looked into her eyes, a naughty grin on his lips,

"You better not lock your door."

He gave her a soft kiss and then he walked down the hallway.

Charlie sputtered as Dave pulled her aside and whispered in her ear. She let out a little moan, her eyes wide as she stared up at her dear friend. The naughty grin on his lips made his eyes light up in the most delightful way. She smiled back at him, a blush settling on her cheeks as he leaned down and gave her a soft kiss before leaving her standing stunned in the hallway.

Oh, she most certainly wouldn’t lock her door tonight, she thought to herself as she made her way down the hallway to where she was staying. She wondered just what Dave had in mind for that evening. Would it be worth dressing for him? She had a sexy little nightgown that she had brought along, but she wondered if it would be too much.

Well, there’s only one way to really find out, she thought to herself as she giggled in the giddy passion of a woman falling in love.

The final proceedings and meetings went by promptly and soon night fell, Dave had made certain that he went to his chambers early enough, of course Alan had performed the little task he had to do to perfection and when the household grew silent and almost everybody was asleep, Dave made his move. He slipped a small rucksack onto his back and very cautiously slipped out of the door, his timing was perfect, it was changing of the guards and the more vital points was unguarded for that few moments.

He crossed the floor, without knocking he slipped into Charlie's room and quietly locked the door behind him. He could see a figure sitting up in the bed, clearly alert, he padded over, slipping the bag from his back.

"They really need carpets in here, it's awfully cold."

He slipped under the covers and pressed his cold feet against her, chuckling at her response,

"Come come baroness, your prince demands to warm his feet."

He grinned at her in the half light.

Charlie was sitting up in bed, passing the time before Dave arrived by reading a book. She had taken care to put on her sexy little black nightgown and brush out her hair until it shown. She wore a pair of diamond earrings that had been a Christmas present from Dave a year ago. She wanted to look pretty for him and show him that she really did mean business when it came to their relationship.

She glanced up as Dave entered the room, a bag on his back as he locked the door and made his way towards the bed. Charlotte smiled as he slipped beneath the covers and pressed his feet against her legs. She let out a squeal and slapped his shoulder with her book.

“Donovan! Your feet are ice cold.” She said, pouting slightly as he grinned at her in the dim light of the room. “You could have at least put on a pair of socks.”

"And slipped on these marble floors, then have to explain what the crown prince was doing slipping out."

He finally realized what she wore and he paused, she looked as beautiful as ever, he reached out and brushed over her silky hair.

"Wow Charlie, you look absolutely...ravishable."

He gave her a toothy grin and leaned forward seeming to bite her in the neck as he drawled in his best vampire voice,

"You 'ave such a lovely neck my dear."

Charlotte let out a little sigh as he leaned forward and came close to her neck. She grinned as he noticed her outfit finally and she couldn’t help but blush under his gaze. She reached out and ran her fingers through his thick hair, bringing his gaze towards hers.

“What did you come here for tonight, Donovan?” She asked in a husky voice, her eyes imploring him for something that she couldn’t put to words.

"Champagne."

He saw the slight confusion on her face and from the bag he withdrew a bottle of champagne and two stainless steel champagne glasses. He gave her a slight grin, placing the champagne and glasses on the night stand

"And to spend the night with the woman I love."

He rested a hand on her cheek and kissed her, gently, feeling her lips react to his touch. He nestled closer, slipping his arms around her and pulling her soft body against his own as the kiss grew slightly more passionate. He finally broke the kiss and placed soft kisses all around her soft, inviting lips,

"And a lot of that."

Charlie watched as Donovan removed two glasses and a bottle of champagne. She couldn’t help but laugh softly at the thought that he had managed to smuggle those items from his room to hers without anyone knowing where he was. Then he declared that he wanted to spend the night with the woman that he loved.

It stopped her in her tracks and made her shiver as he rested a strong hand against her cheek, pulling her in for a kiss that instantly made her react. She sighed as her lips pressed against his, his body moving closer until he looped her strong arms around her and pulled her further into the kiss.

It made her dizzy and breathless. The very idea that the love of her life was finally returning her affection made her grin as he broke the kiss and placed soft, trailing kisses around her full lips.

“So much more of that.” She murmured, her voice husky and deep as she reached up to touch his cheek as well. “I don’t think I’ll ever grow tired of your kisses, Dave.”

He brushed his lips gently over her own,

"I would hope not, I think I find your kisses quite addictive."

He kissed her again, laying down pulling her half ontop of him, his hand slowly stroking over the soft material of her nightie as the other slowly ran through her hair. He had to admit that he loved her smell, but she tasted even better. After a while the kiss broke and he chuckled softly,

"Wonder if they will think of looking for me here if they do find me gone."

He stole a quick kiss,

"I do love this material you're wearing, and it seems to be cut just for you."

He smiled at her

Charlie grinned as Dave kissed her again and pulled her on top of his body. She could feel his warmth bleeding through her nightie and his hands caressed over her back and through her hair, making her sigh softly at the attention. Kissing her best friend was probably the best thing that she could be doing at that moment.

When the kiss broke and his warm chuckle washed over her, Charlotte laughed softly as he mused about what would happen if his guards found him missing. Another kiss after that and he complimented her on what she was wearing.

“Well, I thought since tonight was special, I would dress up for my prince.” She said softly, her eyes glittering in the low light as she pressed her palm against his cheek. “I’m nervous, Donovan.”

She couldn’t believe that she’d actually said that to her friend. With a soft little sigh, she figured that she better confess to him all that she was thinking. “I don’t want things to…change between us. I love you so much and if we…consummate things, what happens then?”

He cupped her face in his hands,

"If we consumate our feelings, it will be because we wish to do so, that will only strengthen our bond, not weaken it."

He used his fingertips to trace her face and ran a thumb over her lips, smiling at her, the teasing side of him returning,

"And I believe after a bottle of champagne we will have one thing on our mind and that is sleeping."

He winked at her,

"You know what the bubbly does to us."

Charlie smiled as he cupped her face in his hands, soothing her fears with just a few simple words. She let out a little sigh as he ran a thumb across her lips, teasing her as he mentioned the champagne that he’d brought with him that evening.

“I know what it does to you.” She teased back, her hand lifting to cup his cheek before she leaned in to kiss him with all the passion that she felt for her friend and soon to be lover.

The kiss deepened and she whimpered at the feel of his lips pressing so intimately to her own. When the kiss finally broke with a light smack, she was breathing heavily and looking at him in a new light. Nibbling on her lower lip, she gave him a shy smile and moved her hand from his cheek to his shoulder, tracing down to his hard chest.

“I want you, Donovan.” She whispered, almost afraid to share her thoughts out loud. “When I think about you, it makes my belly do a strange little flip.”

"Then you should feel my insides when you rock that black bikini..."

He paused and grinned slyly at her,

"Or should I not have seen that?"

His grin broadened and he silenced any immediate comment with his lips, capturing her lips for a long moment, slipping his tongue into her mouth, sliding and wrestling with her own tongue, before allowing the kiss to break.

Back