If you are concerned about the apparent failures of the American educational system

Kirkrapine

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Posts
5,538
. . . then the obvious first place to look for ideas is the countries whose systems are, by common acknowledgment, getting better results: Britain, France, Japan, etc.

The one factor all such have in common is centralized national control. The schools are effectively run not by local elected school boards but by a single Ministry of Education or its equivalent.

Bear that in mind next time you are tempted to demand "local autonomy."
 
Very good point.

Another big reason, they pay their teachers a lot more and in many of these nations, Schools with high concentrations of low-performing students receive more teachers and are often asked to partner with high-performing schools. The teachers in low income schools make the same amount of money as teachers in richer communities, unlike in the United States.

We also have low expectations and standards for our students, especially when we continue to promote low performing students to the next grade level and by then it is too late for that kid.
 
It is impossible to fairly compare US education with any other country. We do not have a national standard for the students or the teachers that other countries have. We do not pay teachers the way other countries do. We do not give teachers the respect for their position that other countries do.

American children spend about six hours per day in school – fewer in lower grades and more in higher ones. The average is about 180 days per year.

Britain 190 days per year about 6.5 hours per day
Japan 230 days per year about 7.5 hours per day
Australia 200 days per year about 6.5 hours per day
China 220 days per year about 9.5 hours but they have a two hour lunch
Brazil 200 days per year about 5.0 hours per day
Russia 210 days per year about 6.5 hours per day
France 160 days per year about 8.0 hours but they have a 1.5 hour lunch

But the US determines everything Hours/days/curriculum/teacher pay by states or sometimes even districts.

US days per year range from 171-182 hours per day range from 6.24 - 7.17

Some states like AZ have the same pay for the entire state, some like California have different pay schedules for each district. There is no consistency nor does it always depend on the cost of living for an area.

Top pay possible for Los Angeles Unified School District $87,085
Downey Unified School District $114,890
Long Beach Unified School District $109,519
Montebello Unified School District $106,683
Hawthorne Unified School District $92,026

These towns all border each other in Los Angeles County.

Amount of money spent per student per year has a wide range from state to state:
Idaho $7,157 to New York $22,366.

And the standards required by students to learn change from state to state. Even after there was an attempt to make standards national, each state was allowed to add to the basic level of skills which, once again, meant that students in one state learned more, or less, than students in another.

Other countries have the same standards across their entire country. However each country has its own standards.

If we really want to compare one country to another or even one state to another, there needs to be standardization.

You might as well compare apples to elephants.
 
A lot of people are concerned about the failures of the American educational system, but there is currently no real desire at the federal level, nor at the state level in many states, to effectively address these failures. Universal education is a threat to oligarchy.
 
And here's another important factor: Within certain limits, education really does appear to be the kind of problem you can solve by throwing money at it.
 
. . . then the obvious first place to look for ideas is the countries whose systems are, by common acknowledgment, getting better results: Britain, France, Japan, etc.

The one factor all such have in common is centralized national control. The schools are effectively run not by local elected school boards but by a single Ministry of Education or its equivalent.

Bear that in mind next time you are tempted to demand "local autonomy."

Post hoc ergo propter hoc
 
If you give a shit just send your kids to private school because the pub-lick schools are dog shit.

Problem solved.
 
I suppose, this your explanation on this statement



Yes?

no it isnt

the reason other countries do better

is they take the BAD kids, the DISRUPTORS, the THUGS and expell em so the kids can learn

in the US, they dont, SO THE NIGGERS lower standards for all


FACT!

Deal with it
 
If you are concerned about the apparent failures of the American educational system

Dump Title IX, outlaw left wing ideologues and political correctness, in the American education system. Treat leftist indoctrination as child endangerment.
 
. . . then the obvious first place to look for ideas is the countries whose systems are, by common acknowledgment, getting better results: Britain, France, Japan, etc.

The one factor all such have in common is centralized national control. The schools are effectively run not by local elected school boards but by a single Ministry of Education or its equivalent.

Bear that in mind next time you are tempted to demand "local autonomy."

National standards are needed for things like teaching actual facts and science, as opposed to the Alt-Right indoctrination going on with putting Moses in the text books. Apart from issues like that let it be local autonomy. Not everyone should or can go to University. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Also an expansion of vocational and technical training as an alternative to a High school education designed as college preparation needs to be much ore wide spread in the educational system. I'd rather have a high school educated person with ambition and aptitude over a college educated, over-opinionated millennial any day of the week.
 
If you are concerned about the apparent failures of the American educational system

Dump Title IX, outlaw left wing ideologues and political correctness, in the American education system. Treat leftist indoctrination as child endangerment.

What makes you think any of that will help students master the STEM subjects, etc.?
 
When in doubt, do like the Finns. Consistently ranked the best base education system by the World Economic Forum for almost two decades.

https://www.businessinsider.com/finland-education-school-2011-12

Do they educate every kid, or kick the dummies and trouble makers out?

I lived in Italy for a few years and the poor performers were sent to a "trade" school and thus were not counted in world academic standings.

In the US - everyone counts toward academic achievements.
 
What do you have against Libertarians?

Of you look at the chart, you can compare spending to outcomes.

If you did a proper analysis, as some here have nibbled art the edges of, you will find world rankings change too.

But if you don't want to challenge yourself, that's fine by me. Just lets me know what kind of mined I am dealing with.
 
Back
Top