What are you reading at the moment?

SL, I have to disagree on "Inferno." I read it and ... well, I read it. ;) I will say I was a bit surprised by the end, although to some extent I thought the end negated a lot of stuff that happened before. But I may not be thinking about it correctly; his books don't stick in my mind too well.

I suppose my reaction could be skewed by my low expectations. I had expected a linear plot with an ending that was implausible yet predictable from a mile away - just like all his other books. But not only was the scenario very plausible, but I didn't imagine that ending at all.

I love to get surprised :)

EDIT - seems like we are getting a movie adaptation next year. Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are on board so it should be a go.

Last edited:
Just finished "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben - I love this guy's work!

...Suddenly Dunbar issued a raspy call to the men below, one so strange and unexpected that at first they could not register its significance. "Land ho!" he cried out. "Land ho! Off the starboard bow!"

It was just a vision in the distance, maybe fifty miles off, a nub of gray standing proud of the hummocks and pressure ridges. For several days, Captain De Long studied this curiosity, wondering if it might be an illusion— a refraction of light, perhaps, a fata morgana. He could not be sure what it was, for it was often obscured by mist and fog, and a low cloud clung to it. But a few days later, the cloud dissipated, and the island became visible to the naked eye: a tall conical mass, like a volcano, riven by gulches, its steep flanks speckled with snow. There was no denying it. This was land, the first they had seen in more than four hundred days— ever since they had lost sight of Wrangel in early 1880. De Long's relief was palpable: "There is something, then, besides ice in this world...

The Americans smoked and drank tea with the Chukchis, and were coaxed into participating in athletic contests: footraces, lance throwing, stone putting, and shouldering huge piles of driftwood logs. For all their strength and dexterity, the natives indicated they did not know how to swim. Wrote Irving Rosse, the surgeon on the Corwin, "They have the greatest aversion to water," though they were most adroit with their "little shuttle-shaped canoe, which is a kind of marine bicycle. The doctor noted that they were extremely kind to their children ("who do not show the same peevishness as seen in our nurseries"), and he seemed both intrigued and repulsed by the Chukchis' sexual promiscuity— "women are freely offered to strangers by way of hospitality, showing a decided preference for white men."

-Hampton Sides
In The Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the U.S.S. Jeanette
New York, N.Y. 2014.

I've read a couple of Hampton Sides' books and have yet to be disappointed. They're well-researched featuring subjects that have been forgotten or become obscure through the passage of time. Sides' prose style is polished and readable. I've seen him interviewed; he's an interesting fellow and no dummy.

John Grisham, Sycamore Row, and Maeve Binchy, Chestnut Street (I like to mix and match)

I just completed 'Islands in the Stream' by Ernest Hemingway. This was his last fiction book, published about ten years after his death.

this post lol!
l finished my book...so lm not reading any thing at the moment. Although l did have someone on here suggest a story....

...The groom of the stool, whose duties included attending the king when he relieved himself on his close stool or lavatory, was very influential because of his proximity to the royal person...

-Julia Fox
Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford
New York, N.Y. 2007.

Anybody who thinks feudalism is a thing of the past doesn't know much about H. sapiens. Court politics always was a deadly game. It still is.

Dracula (Bram Stoker) -- Occasionally I like to go back to originals to remind myself of how it was done.

I'm reading The Tale of Genji. I enjoy it very much, however I find the way the story jumps around difficult to get into mainly because I'm worried in case it's not Murasaki Shikibu's style, but the translation which is the problem. (I am getting into the swing of it so if that is how Lady Murasaki wrote it, I'm good with it.)

I've got a Penguin Classic (with nice illustrations; I love an illustrated book), translated by Royall Tyler. The blurb says this translation is true to the original, does anyone have any thoughts?

Many years ago I had the Edward Seidensticker translation but a man I uncharacteristically refused to sleep with ran off with it! :eek:

Reading the Deathnote manga (up to Vol. 6) from the library and I was reading a collection of Elmore Leonard's western short stories. I should stock up a bit on the Kindle for traveling later this week.

Many years ago I had the Edward Seidensticker translation but a man I uncharacteristically refused to sleep with ran off with it! :eek:

That's the two-volume set I have and have read. I remember enjoying it but read it so long ago that I can't remember whether I had any trouble with the translation.

As far as what I'm reading, I just finished:

Donna Leon's Blood from a Stone

and Alexander McCall Smith's Love over Scotland

and now am reading:

Peter Lovesey's Bertie and the Crime of Passion

and M.J. Carter's The Strangler Vine

I'm always reading Nathaniel Hawthorne. Have been reading "Rappaccini's Daughter" closely because it's related to my EH story in the making.

Got two in the "to be read" shelf:

John Banville - Blue Guitar
Michel Faber - The Book of Strange New Things

THE MAKING OF THE ATOMIC BOMB by Richard Rhodes

BERLIN DIARY by William Shriver

and a novel by Charles Willeford.

Midnight at Marble Arch, Anne Perry

A Dangerous Inheritance, Alison Weir

Now?

Well... I'd be reading the latest from Sigil or New Hire, but the slow-assed recluses who turn this crap out are... Ahem... Slacking.

Back