Writing Goal for the Day?

With luck I'll get some review work done on my mainstream anthology and two e-books that have come back from the editor. All of this is being interrupted by relatives from the Atlantic coast calling to book rooms to ride out Hurricane Irene's race up the East Coast.

Sounds to be a crazy nightn many thoughts to your family making their away from mass destruction :(

Sounds to be a crazy nightn many thoughts to your family making their away from mass destruction :(

We all figure if they go ahead and travel, Irene will go out to sea and not hit the North Carolina-Virginia coast. Slight embarrassment is better than being drowned.

PL, I had to google him. :eek:

I'm packing tonight. We're leaving for Maine on Saturday morning. Hahahaha! Me, Mr. Tatyana, the kidlet, and Irene, all driving up the east coast... should be awesome.

Been there, done that, it sucks!

We all figure if they go ahead and travel, Irene will go out to sea and not hit the North Carolina-Virginia coast. Slight embarrassment is better than being drowned.

Courtesy of Hurricanes Rita and Ike. I hope your prediction comes true for Irene. Hurricane vacations can be fun. Hurricane cleanup is not. My prayers are with them.

Courtesy of Hurricanes Rita and Ike. I hope your prediction comes true for Irene. Hurricane vacations can be fun. Hurricane cleanup is not. My prayers are with them.

Wife went to the grocery store today and the place was already looking like it was being looted. The weather terrorists are in high gear. I am not down playing what could happen but this is the modern era, short of the hammer of god like New Orleans got how the hell long do you think you will be without food or water?

Course if you are from New England you know this all stems back to the blizzard of 78. Ever since then at the sniff of a big storm bread and milk sell out across the board.

Wife went to the grocery store today and the place was already looking like it was being looted. The weather terrorists are in high gear. I am not down playing what could happen but this is the modern era, short of the hammer of god like New Orleans got how the hell long do you think you will be without food or water?

Course if you are from New England you know this all stems back to the blizzard of 78. Ever since then at the sniff of a big storm bread and milk sell out across the board.

Hmmm. Have you been thru one? It's not just the storm you have to weather. Kind of hard to get supplies over a road that is littered with small yachts. And forget gas.

I dunno, hurricane planning down here has greatly improved.

PL, I had to google him. :eek:

I'm packing tonight. We're leaving for Maine on Saturday morning. Hahahaha! Me, Mr. Tatyana, the kidlet, and Irene, all driving up the east coast... should be awesome.

Hahaha. All I know is Darren Daulton = former Phillie. I don't know career stats or anything. I think he was a catcher (hub confirmed I'm correct about that).

Event went off although -- the restaurant, Texas Roadhouse, had advertised it as 7-10pm. Turns out it was sponsored by a local radio station and it was supposed to start at 8pm. So there we were, arriving at 6pm for dinner and figuring that'd work nicely for a 7pm event start even if he was a little late. However, the kids were good, and he was there around 8pm, and he was very nice. We got four signed cards, and he signed personalized autographs for the kids and for my brother, who's in the service (USAF) and deployed.

So it's a little late, we're a little tired, but it was fun.

I escaped the house yesterday, spending the entire afternoon wandering downtown. Naturally, I took my notepad with me and actually got a lot of longhand writing on Exhibitions 3 done.

Today, I'll be typing that up, and will be able to spin on from where I left off. Lots and lots of material to move on with.

I escaped the house yesterday, spending the entire afternoon wandering downtown. Naturally, I took my notepad with me and actually got a lot of longhand writing on Exhibitions 3 done.

Today, I'll be typing that up, and will be able to spin on from where I left off. Lots and lots of material to move on with.

Good for you. :)

I wanted to write last night, but then was just too exhausted. And we're headed down to see the in-laws tomorrow, so today will include some cleaning and packing. See, this is why I get frustrated. Everything seems to demand my attention and push writing off. Sigh. And since the trip to the in-laws will be go Friday, return Sunday, I doubt much will get done there. Maybe next week with the boy away...

Good for you. :)

I wanted to write last night, but then was just too exhausted. And we're headed down to see the in-laws tomorrow, so today will include some cleaning and packing. See, this is why I get frustrated. Everything seems to demand my attention and push writing off. Sigh. And since the trip to the in-laws will be go Friday, return Sunday, I doubt much will get done there. Maybe next week with the boy away...

Yes, even tho I take my laptop on the road, I rarely get much writing done. Even on vacation, when I should be relaxing, something, or someone, is always demanding my attention.

I'm trying to get into the back-to-school routine now. Got up before 5:30, finished cleaning the kitchen - because even tho that's the kids job, no one does a thorough job - and did some laundry, and took care of puppy patrol, and then got ready for work, and then the whole drop-the-kids-off-at-school circus, and fill up the Suburban with gas, and FINALLY, 3 hours later, I am at work. I'm drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying the quiet. If I can, I will sneak in some editing, some writing, do some things for which I actually get paid, and then, at 5:30, the fun begins again! Good news is I think I've found a place in the house where I won't have to compete for peace and (relative) quiet - the dining room. It's no longer just a place to store antique furniture and the puppies to hide their accidents.

Hmmm. Have you been thru one? It's not just the storm you have to weather. Kind of hard to get supplies over a road that is littered with small yachts. And forget gas.

I dunno, hurricane planning down here has greatly improved.

I have been through more than I can count. We lost our first home to Andrew in 1992, but we have been rather lucky since then. Only minor damage to our homes in recent years, and none in the last five years. We were without electricity for eight days after Wilma in 2005. That one was strange, as there wasn't much property damage in our area, but the entire county was without power for 3-21 days. It was kind of a good experience; by the fourth day the food in our freezer was starting to defrost, so we fired up the grill and everyone in neighborhood brought over their remaining meat. I spent hours grilling steaks, chops, roasts, sausages, whole tenderloin--and we washed it down with plenty of wine. After that it was nothing but canned food for four more days. All the kids were out in the streets making camps out of the fallen trees instead of sitting in front of the tv and playing video games. Almost like camping in our own house. Of course, that meant no AC. The nights were brutal.

Yes, even tho I take my laptop on the road, I rarely get much writing done. Even on vacation, when I should be relaxing, something, or someone, is always demanding my attention.

I'm trying to get into the back-to-school routine now. Got up before 5:30, finished cleaning the kitchen - because even tho that's the kids job, no one does a thorough job - and did some laundry, and took care of puppy patrol, and then got ready for work, and then the whole drop-the-kids-off-at-school circus, and fill up the Suburban with gas, and FINALLY, 3 hours later, I am at work. I'm drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying the quiet. If I can, I will sneak in some editing, some writing, do some things for which I actually get paid, and then, at 5:30, the fun begins again! Good news is I think I've found a place in the house where I won't have to compete for peace and (relative) quiet - the dining room. It's no longer just a place to store antique furniture and the puppies to hide their accidents.

Finding time and a place to write when away is always tough. At my in-laws, I feel a little self-conscious, plus I feel like I need to be available to help with dinner and keep an eye on the kids, etc. At my parents, it's just impossible b/c my mom wants to talk, so unless I do something after she goes to bed, nothing happens.

And we're getting t-storms and rain already. We're not too close to the coast, but we've had some rain lately, so there are flood warnings around.

It's 1am.
Got my wholegrain pasta.
Got my coffee.
I'm going to make substantial headway on chapter one of a major story I'm writing.
I'm really feeling this one, I hope I can get it out quick and that people like it.

I have been through more than I can count. We were without electricity for eight days after Wilma in 2005.
We are in a mandatory evacuation zone, so we left for Ike. SIL lives on the west side of town and offered up her home, but we went north to my mother's house. We later learned that they had the power back to our neighborhood about a day after the storm passed. My SIL, on the other hand, went without power for 2 weeks!

Finding time and a place to write when away is always tough.
I'm usually an early riser compared to everybody else, so that's when I work it in. It'll get easier for you as your kids get older. Unless you have another kid.....

I'm usually an early riser compared to everybody else, so that's when I work it in. It'll get easier for you as your kids get older. Unless you have another kid.....

I tried getting up earlier -- just not working. But no, no more kids. Steps have been taken. ;)

Also I'm on a lengthy quest to do some research for writing, hopefully I'll find someone to talk to about experiences or even just writing techniques, maybe even having a new friend that has written a few stories might inspire me to get a move on with my own.

Me, too!!!

LOL

We had kids later -- I was 33 and 38 when they were born. The second one was fine but had issues and I didn't want to repeat that. Plus, it's kind of bad enough we'll be around 60 when they're in their 20s. Don't want to be any older.

Also I'm on a lengthy quest to do some research for writing, hopefully I'll find someone to talk to about experiences or even just writing techniques, maybe even having a new friend that has written a few stories might inspire me to get a move on with my own.

Good luck with the research. It can be... fun. ;)

Hmmm. We've decided to go to the in-laws today. This could mean writing time in the car. We shall see.

LOL

We had kids later -- I was 33 and 38 when they were born. The second one was fine but had issues and I didn't want to repeat that. Plus, it's kind of bad enough we'll be around 60 when they're in their 20s. Don't want to be any older.

We started a little earlier (28 with the oldest, 32 with the youngest), which I now consider to have been just about right. I have a FB friend who is 49 and I think her youngest is 5 or 6!:eek:

Today's goal was 1000 words. I hit a break in the story at 927. I'm going to call that "mission accomplished."

If I can just get all of the works in hand for my mainstream anthology edited today and the corrections finished on my coming The Indian Prince, I'll be happy. I should have two e-books launching within the next couple of days, and announcements of them will take some time.

Anything but writing. I have to write Ch 4, I have a lead on the plot, but oh, how I hate to get at that keyboard and see the blank screen with "Document 1" at the top.

Back