600 word stories

wildsweetone said:
Weird Harold Thanks for that awesome map. I've emailed jon.hayworth with it (didn't hear from him today) and am awaiting his thoughts. I really like it. I love the topographical look. It makes a town exist. :)

No problem, it's from a program called De Lorme Topo 3.0 -- that is the actual topography of my home town; that town DOES exist. ;)

I can do the same for any US town west of the Rockies at whatever scale is appropriate in about five minutes.
 
Gauche,

loved your story! I daren't try Geordie. I had enough problems with 'Aye Pet, aal the way'!

Alex
 
I've managed to read all of the posts...

...and you all seem to be getting on fine without my help. (Wipes brow with exaggerated sigh of relief.)

WSO - I don't think you missed anything and I'd like to publicly congratulate you on organising this. I've signed up (I didn't dare not to) and added my characters to the thread, with the exception of Hannah, Jack and Ethel and Tom.

I'd like to invite jon and Quasimodem to officially 'adopt' Hannah and Tom, respectively, as they seem to have done the most to flesh my skeletons, as it were. Jack and Ethel too, have been given substance, by jon and others. I would feel a fraud trying to write about them now as if they were my own. I gave them only their names.

If you guys don't want to adopt my orphans, I'll try my best to do their pen pictures with the info. you have given me in your stories.

One final point. As Snippettsville seems to be growing, perhaps Tom should be Sheriff instead of Constable?

Alex
 
Last edited:
Alex, sweetheart, baby, could I please have Ethel. I'm new to this but I've read *everything*. I'll have new characters too.

Puhleeeeeeeeeze, Perdita :rose: :kiss: :rose:
 
perdita said:
Alex, sweetheart, baby, could I please have Ethel. I'm new to this but I've read *everything*. I'll have new characters too.

Puhleeeeeeeeeze, Perdita :rose: :kiss: :rose:

I could never resist a woman begging me for something...

If no-one who has already written about Ethel objects, she's yours, Perdita. Actually, I rather like the idea of the husband and wife being under the 'control' (for want of a better word) of different authors. Just like life...

Alex
 
Alex De Kok said:
I could never resist a woman begging me for something...
I'll remember that hon. And thanks, but I'll wait to hear if anyone with more seniority objects (watch out though, I have friends in high places). ;)

Purring Perdita (but watch the hidden claws)
 
SVille characters

Dear Perdita,
You can also have Rip Henderson, Emil van Zant, and Toots Guzman if you want. They need a momma.
MG
 
MG: I can't do men (literarily speaking), plus I know nothing about chemistry, Mr. or Mrs. Tourette, or drug dealers. I like h.s. boys but I can't be one.

Perdita
 
Eduardo Guzman

Dear Perdita,
If you can fart, you can use the Toots Guzman character.
MG
 
Re: Eduardo Guzman

MathGirl said:
Dear Perdita, If you can fart, you can use the Toots Guzman character. MG
Of course I can fart, in Spanish and English (and Russian if I've had borscht) but I don't want to do it in writing or as a boy.

thanks anyway, Perdita
 
Alex De Kok said:
Gauche, I daren't try Geordie. I had enough problems with 'Aye Pet, aal the way'!

Alex

You were my inspiration Alex. Well your geordie story was. Which explains in part the pic attachment (sp).

If you can include yourself in the story then so could I.

Wildsweet,

The pic is me at 22. The character Robert in my series, "NIce work" and now visiting Snippetsville is me at 22. It's what I visualise when I write him. Thought it might help.

Incidentally the passage was based on a RL Trivia get together when I had the same problem of understanding with a chuffing scouser no less. She seemed to understand the dialect better as the night wore on and the sobriety wore off.

Gauche
 
Would somebody please click on the threads in my signature line and let me know if they're working okay elsewhere. They seem fine to me, but I'd like others to be able to use them also.

If you haven't noticed yet, there is now a Map Discussion thread. Click the link below *crossing fingers*.

MG Did you see my posting about your stories? It might be a page back now.

Gauche Very nice pic. :) Dare I ask what a 'chuffing scouser' is?

Alex :rose: Thank you dear. :) Is your arm still sore? ;) from being twisted! - before anybody thinks otherwise.
 
PierceStreet said:
Works like a champ.

Wonderful! Thanks dear. :)



evenwithitall How are you going with that descriptive setting? I am gearing up to begin a discussion (after the map discussion) on setting descriptions and I'd like to know if what I've asked of you is possible. Please let me know when you're able to. :)
 
All the links work fine for me.

A 'chuffing scouser' is a) chuffing = mild expletive and b) Scouser (Liverpudlian) = someone with an accent so thick it is barely understandable by virually any contributors (Irish, Welsh, Scotch, Lancastrian Et al.) Being THE major sea port for a number of years it has a massive hotchpotch of contributing dialects/accents and as the song goes "They speak with an accent exceedingly rare"

Gauche
 
Quasimodem said:
Not a page 404 in the lot !:D

Okay you asked for it... By the time I get back from work (2 hours from now), I would like an indepth descriptive essay on just exactly what a 'page 404' contains.

:D



Gauche Thanks for the explanation! I'm gonna have a 125 IQ by the time I'm done here. I just knowed it. ;)


gone to work!
 
wildsweetone said:
and I apologise for any disruptions while I'm sorting myself out.
I wish there were a quick way to switch from wildsweetone to Snippettsville Group without having to put my pc through the log in and log out process. It's very slow. If there is a way, can someone please PM me with it, I'd appreciate knowing.[/i]
Dear WSO,
Make the SVille thread one of the "favorites" on your browser. Then, whenever you want to go there, just click on it.
MG
 
Re: hope this works, litland playing up for me...

wildsweetone said:
MathGirl I've noticed in my re-reading of the stories that the word count on yours is odd. I recall seeing mention somewhere that you don't have a word counter, is that right? I'd love to be able to include your stories, is there any chance of looking at them again and getting them closer to the 600 word count?
Dear WSO,
I didn't pay any attention to word count when I wrote those stories. I have no idea how many words they contain. I was making a little contribution to an entertaining thread. Period.

If you can use them, that's fine. If not, I won't be in any way offended.
MG
Ps. I cannot allow the purity of my art to be sullied by mere editorial considertions. <hur hur>
MG
 
MG

If I make Snip one of my favourites, will the fact that I'm logged in as WSO mean that the SG won't work?

About your stories, I really like them. I'd really like for them to fit within the word count and I know that some other authors would like to add to them, i.e. write using the characters and/or places. But for them to be able to do that they need to slip in as close to the 600 word count as possible. Pretty please would you consider looking over them?

I would very much like to formally submit them to one of the Issues.

:rose:
 
I will copy MG's stories and do the word count, then let her know just how many more are required. I would even fill them in if she likes and let her decide if they're OK and she can have all the credit.

I'll PM you, Maths.

Perdita
 
Originally posted by wildsweetone MGIf I make Snip one of my favourites, will the fact that I'm logged in as WSO mean that the SG won't work?
Dear WSO,
Good question. Wish I had a good answer. All I can say is to try and see what happens.
MG
Dear Perdita,
If you're willing to go to all that trouble, I'll add or subtract from the stories to make them fit the 600 word standard. Thank you. If you want, you can just have the stories. Treat them as your own. In fact, I hereby grant you permission to do with them as you wish. That includes making yourself the writer.
MG
 
Back
Top