What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the car next to me at the traffic lights laughing at me singing and headbanging away to myself at a red light.

I got two thumbs up :) He can't have heard the warbling.

This would, at first, seem to belong in the Pissed Off thread... but keep going.

Cash stolen from handicapped Cary boy collecting funds for wheelchair basketball

CARY -- Seated in his wheelchair, Nolan Turner, 12, staked out his neighborhood Thursday evening to sell water bottles and raise money to bring his wheelchair basketball team to his elementary school.

“Everybody at school has been asking me what it’s like to (play basketball) in a wheelchair, and I want to show them,” the Briarcliff Elementary fifth-grader said. He had already collected more than $250 – kept in a bucket – of the $1,000 needed to bring the experience of playing wheelchair basketball to his schoolmates.

But as he began to work the neighborhood near High Meadow Drive about 6:30 p.m., a man he didn’t recognize grabbed his money bucket and unhurriedly walked away, according to Cary Police Department Capt. Mike Williams. Nolan yelled and screamed at the man but was helpless to follow him.

+_+_+_+_

Nolan’s father has set up this fundraising site for anyone who would like to donate.​

There's more to the article (linked in the headline, as usual), but the real story, and the reason this is posted here instead of in Pissed Off is in the link in that last sentence.

Click that link.

As of the time this post was made, the fund was up to $9,736.00. What's it up to when *you* click in?

The guy in the car next to me at the traffic lights laughing at me singing and headbanging away to myself at a red light.

I got two thumbs up :) He can't have heard the warbling.

This would make me smile. I am frequently yelling my loud, rhythmic nerdrock when driving. It can't be good for traffic safety, or the chickens who see me as they go off to slaughter in their truck. But perhaps I've provided them a moment of confoundment in their final hours.

Hunger Games!!! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

I cannot remember the last time I actually bothered to wait in line for a movie, on opening night...but it was so, so worth it!

:D:D

Shhhhhhh!! I'm in the middle of the book!!:)

This would make me smile. I am frequently yelling my loud, rhythmic nerdrock when driving. It can't be good for traffic safety, or the chickens who see me as they go off to slaughter in their truck. But perhaps I've provided them a moment of confoundment in their final hours.

I am sure you have provided them with a final moment of confoudment and that moment will carry them through their final moments.

Shhhhhhh!! I'm in the middle of the book!!:)

Ooo! Enjoy! Finish quickly and then go see the movie right away so we can talk about how amazingly scary Donald Sutherland can be with only a few lines of dialogue!

(I have long carried a torch for that man, BTW).

I am sure you have provided them with a final moment of confoudment and that moment will carry them through their final moments.

Thank you. I think you may have a career as an animal chaplain in your future.

Ooo! Enjoy! Finish quickly and then go see the movie right away so we can talk about how amazingly scary Donald Sutherland can be with only a few lines of dialogue!

(I have long carried a torch for that man, BTW).

He can convey evil in a look. Much like Kevin Spacey, although that is more boiling asshattery really. The Eye of the Needle? Whew. Also, if you caught the Gina Davis presidential TV series, Commander in Chief, he was a great right wing foil.

Thank you, Keroin. This is one of the reasons I retired from teaching high school English after 11 years (not the only reason, by any stretch of the imagination, but far from the least important). I wish every educator, from pre-school caregiver to university president, would be required to read this letter and explain why it is relevant to her/his position, what s/he would like to do to apply its lesson to the students under her/his purview, and what s/he WILL do to apply its lesson to her/his students.

He can convey evil in a look. Much like Kevin Spacey, although that is more boiling asshattery really. The Eye of the Needle? Whew. Also, if you caught the Gina Davis presidential TV series, Commander in Chief, he was a great right wing foil.

I did not see that series, sadly. (I also enjoy watching Gina Davis). The thing about Sutherland is that he can also just be so damn cuddly, then sauve, then...Etc.

I hope I never meet him in person. I've had too many actor illusions crushed over the years. I intend to keep him firmly on a pedestal, thankyouverymuch.

Thank you, Keroin. This is one of the reasons I retired from teaching high school English after 11 years (not the only reason, by any stretch of the imagination, but far from the least important). I wish every educator, from pre-school caregiver to university president, would be required to read this letter and explain why it is relevant to her/his position, what s/he would like to do to apply its lesson to the students under her/his purview, and what s/he WILL do to apply its lesson to her/his students.

We are currently embroiled in a teacher's dispute in this province. Frankly, I am appalled by the comments I've heard about teachers from the general public. To hear people talk, you'd think that all teachers are a bunch of greedy, lazy, complainers. Obviously most people have no concept of what the actual job entails.

As for the link, I had an amazing English Lit teacher in highschool. He worked us hard but he also knew provincial exams were a a joke. To "train" us for them, he used actual exams from previous years and gave us a series of practice runs. The tests varied little from year to year, so by the time we went in for real we were well prepared. Even so, my exam scores were lower than any of my regular test or essay scores in any of my english classes. When I reviewed the reasons why, I was disgusted because it was exactly for the sort of nitpicky BS that teacher talks about in her letter.

Wrote a story concept for Vail that I can see being fun to write.

My cat managed to tangle herself in a camp chair while playing with a scrap of paper, thus freaking herself out. She made a wild dash to escape and fled to the other room in a black ball of fluff. Was super cute/funny.

2 hours + 6 tools + google + and a huge dose of I'm gonna do it my damn self = (I don't need no stinking plumber dishwasher is fixed fist pump)*4

:D

Last edited:
OMG!!!!

Just got the proof that years of focused nutritional healing efforts are paying off! I have a few things left to address, but everything else...

Normal.

Fucking NORMAL.

Never did I think slipping into that label in any aspect of my life would feel THIS damn good. But it does. SO DAMN GOOD. Take THAT all you allopathic naysayers! Check it out.... My body is ACTUALLY HEALING ITSELF. It IS possible! Has it been hard work? YES! But, it has ALL been worth it. Every single second of it.

Go ME! :D

OMG!!!!

Just got the proof that years of focused nutritional healing efforts are paying off! I have a few things left to address, but everything else...

Normal.

Fucking NORMAL.

Never did I think slipping into that label in any aspect of my life would feel THIS damn good. But it does. SO DAMN GOOD. Take THAT all you allopathic naysayers! Check it out.... My body is ACTUALLY HEALING ITSELF. It IS possible! Has it been hard work? YES! But, it has ALL been worth it. Every single second of it.

Go ME! :D

Kudos to Kurious!! But really? Normal? You?!!

Don't throw that around too casually. ;)

Watching my dog running up and down the headland just for the sheer hell of it on all three walks today. She's been ill for so long (about a year) that seeing her full recovery brings really deep joy of the deepest, depthiest, joyfulnest kind.

They referenced the "Dom Factory" (obviously haven't done the real research yet!) on the Antiques Roadshow last night.

I never knew there was such a thing...but it makes perfect sense!:rolleyes:

"The closest I've come to murder ... is dunking an Oreo and waiting until the bubbles stop coming up."​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back