Fibonacci

Angeline

Poet Chick
I have to write at least one for a challenge that's coming up, so who'd like to suffer...um...create along with me?

A fibonacci is a poem that follows the Fibonacci mathematical sequence for syllable count per line.

0+1=1
1+1=2
1+2=3
2+3=5
3+5=8
5+8=13
8+13=21
13+21=34
etcetera....

You can see how your poem could quickly get unweildy, which is why six lines has sort of become the standard

For the 6-line poem that means:

1 syllable for first line
1 syllable for second line
2 syllables for third
3 syllables for fourth
5 syllables for fifth
8 syllables for sixth

I'm gonna try. Feel free to jump in. :D

Up
town
the moon
is waxing
golden, a pendant
afloat in the night's inky sea.

Cham
pagne
thinks I
can write more
than six of these freak
ing lines. Whatsamatter with her?

I have to write at least one for a challenge that's coming up, so who'd like to suffer...um...create along with me?

A fibonacci is a poem that follows the Fibonacci mathematical sequence for syllable count per line.

0+1=1
1+1=2
1+2=3
2+3=5
3+5=8
5+8=13
8+13=21
13+21=34
etcetera....

You can see how your poem could quickly get unweildy, which is why six lines has sort of become the standard

For the 6-line poem that means:

1 syllable for first line
1 syllable for second line
2 syllables for third
3 syllables for fourth
5 syllables for fifth
8 syllables for sixth

I'm gonna try. Feel free to jump in. :D
If you can bring a natural (fibonacci sequences are common in nature), philosophical or mathematical reference into your poem, (since many of the great mathmen of the past were philosophers) this makes you need to work a little harder than simply counting syllables would..

Doesn't the fibonacci usually progress to the 13 syllables by the 6th line? >> goes to look it up. Nevermind. LOL I answered my own question.. you're right, 6 lines 8 syllables.

Last edited:
If you can bring a natural (fibonacci sequences are common in nature), philosophical or mathematical reference into your poem, (since many of the great mathmen of the past were philosophers) this makes you need to work a little harder than simply counting syllables would..

Doesn't the fibonacci usually progress to the 13 syllables by the 6th line? >> goes to look it up. Nevermind. LOL I answered my own question.. you're right, 6 lines 8 syllables.

I want to try one that goes up to eight and then back down to one. Where is everyone? Get in here and try this you slackers!

She's
a
perfect
show preening
fuscia petals' edge
to pout a lippy kiss at me.

edit:

She's
a
perfect
bloom preening
fuscia petals' edge

Last edited:
I
am
and therefore
I think I must stink
at this. Alas, my poem is crass
and I wanted a beauteous
image to grab you,
but like smoke
I
fade.​

She's
a
perfect
show preening
fuscia petals' edge

edit:

She's
a
perfect
bloom preening
fuscia petals' edge

maybe tongue instead of edge? or tongues? also, are we doing this right? :D

my
shell
cracked
when spirals
weakened with waves
and surf wash'd my curves out to sea
tide pull'd me back here
to shorelines
scoured
by
time​

maybe tongue instead of edge? or tongues? also, are we doing this right? :D
I think so. Hypatia loves this form and she's shown me a couple of her's at the regular readings.

I'm using apostrophes to show how I slur my words and clear up the syllable count questions that may arise from my uses of -ed endings. If it's wrong.. lol we'll just tell the crowd that rules are for highways and prisons.. so get off my path!

The
bed
has one
dip in the
mattress where your head
lay turned to the right side, so I
turned that thing around and now I
can snuggle into
the place that
was once
your
spot.​

Scream
Sounds
Through door
Nothing to see
Here, be on your way
You can't change fate, so don't even try

Edit for my oops

Scream
Sounds
Through door
See nothing
Here, be on your way
You can't change fate, so don't even try

I love the way scream works with door because it makes me think of a screen door.

Ha, I didn't even see that but now that you've pointed it out, it gives it a better picture than I originally had. And that is why I love these threads. New views on my own and other's work.

Back