Who here likes Jazz music?

A Must Have

A must have for any serious jazz fan

"Stolen Moments"

the above is from Oliver Nelson's Septet which features Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Eric Dolphy on tenor sax and flute. Other members of the septet include Nelson on tenor sax, George Barrow on baritone sax and Roy Haynes on drums

From the liner notes, Nelson gives special thanks to the baritone sax player George Barrow

BTW, Haynes, at age 81, just played the 2018 Detroit Jazz Festival. Can't walk very well but he can surely spank the skins like a young lion

Last edited:
We were very lucky in that Spalding was in town for the last Detroit jazz festival. Played for nearly two hours with Wayne Shorter Sunday night

One of my favs--"Wild as The Wind"

Just stunning.
Would have loved to see her with Wayne Shorter.

"Stolen Moments"

the above is from Oliver Nelson's Septet which features Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Eric Dolphy on tenor sax and flute. Other members of the septet include Nelson on tenor sax, George Barrow on baritone sax and Roy Haynes on drums

From the liner notes, Nelson gives special thanks to the baritone sax player George Barrow

BTW, Haynes, at age 81, just played the 2018 Detroit Jazz Festival. Can't walk very well but he can surely spank the skins like a young lion

Hadn’t heard this in a while. Thank you for the reminder.

Perspective

Love their interpretation of the Goldberg Variations.

Very true. Yes, its a matter of perspective.

Jazz appeals to me in that there's no right or wrong answer. The normal is that within a chord structure and time signature, a different point of view can be expressed.

Consider Thelonious Monk's interpretation of "Solitude"

Or, Vijay Iyer's "Because of Guns." If you will, Iyer is discussing domestic violence, whereas what came from the strings of the likes of Otis Taylor and Jimi Hendrix, the focus was on vengeance

"Stolen Moments"

I love this tune. I try to get people to play it almost comically slow.

I saw Roy Haynes at a percussive Arts Society clinic in the 90s. He was dressed like a pimp and people followed him everywhere he went. What a great player. I think he plays on the really cool Metheny trio record with Dave Holland

Ambrose Akinmusire

Ambrose Akinmusire is not for the faint of heart. He's political, introspective, soulful, articulate and a marvelous talent

Via First Listen from NPR.Org, here's his latest endeavor available for your listening pleasure prior to the actual release. Enjoy for a few days, 'Origami Harvest'

As follow-up

Ambrose Akinmusire is not for the faint of heart. He's political, introspective, soulful, articulate and a marvelous talent

Via First Listen from NPR.Org, here's his latest endeavor available for your listening pleasure prior to the actual release. Enjoy for a few days, 'Origami Harvest'

Something that's still available via YouTube, "Regret no More" from Ambrose Akinmusire

Do give the above a listen. At 5:33, his last note is sublime

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - One by One

https://youtu.be/PSo2qaAnit0

He had a lot of different lineups (i.e. Lee Morgan, Chuck Mangione, Wynton & Branford Marsalis, Keith Jarrett) but always a great and familiar tone.

Another great tune

He had a lot of different lineups (i.e. Lee Morgan, Chuck Mangione, Wynton & Branford Marsalis, Keith Jarrett) but always a great and familiar tone.

Bunny, thank you for posting. Another great tune

One of my favs from Blakey's catalog, featuring a very young Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan, "A Night In Tunisia." Just balls-to-the-wall high spirited and energetic music from young lions

Last edited:
Another must have

Ahmad Jamal's influence within jazz circles is legendary.

Here's a wonderful jazz standard "Poinciana."

Please do enjoy

What do they call it when the singer seems to be following a completely different tune than the band? 'Mood Indigo' is one example, but I've heard others.

Not Bad

Sammy Miller and the Congregation - Millennium Stage (April 25, 2016)

http://www.sammymillercongregation.com/about/

header_sammy_0.jpg

Took the time to listen to the link you provided. Definitely a toe-tapper type of New Orleans / Roots band. Great jams for a house party

Bunny, thank you for posting. Another great tune

One of my favs from Blakey's catalog, featuring a very young Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan, "A Night In Tunisia." Just balls-to-the-wall high spirited and energetic music from young lions

Blakey, like Miles, was a master of spotting and developing young talent. When I was in school people often called the Jazz Messengers "grad school."

Tijuana Brass

Never heard of him...!

PRID!

Last edited:
Back