Does anyone know this one?

sortilege - noun the use of supernatural powers to influence or predict events

Snarge

Etymology:
Portmanteau of snot and garbage

Noun
Singular

Definition:
The remains of a bird after it has collided with an airplane (bird strike), especially a turbine engine.

Usage Example:
2009 January 25, Matthew L. Wald, “Identifying the Bird After a Strike, When Not Much Bird Is Left”[1], New York Times:
"Arriving mostly in sealed plastic bags, these included birds’ feet, whole feathers or tiny bits of down, and pulverized bird guts, known as snarge..."

From Wikipedia
:
The force of the impact on an aircraft depends on the weight of the animal and the speed difference and direction at the impact. The energy of the impact increases with the square of the speed difference. Hence a low-speed impact of a small bird on a car windshield causes relatively little damage. High speed impacts, as with jet aircraft, can cause considerable damage and even catastrophic failure to the vehicle. The energy of a 5 kg (11 lb) bird moving at a relative velocity of 275 km/h (171 mph) approximately equals the energy of a 100 kg (220 lb) weight dropped from a height of 15 metres (49 ft).

Well, Trysail, I am going to avoid all incidents involving snarge, if that is possible!

Can anyone explain this discrepancy;

sophism - noun plausible but invalid reasoning

sophistic - adj containing fundamental errors in reasoning

sophisticate - verb to make impure or inferior by deceptively adding foreign substances

sophisticated - adj 1. experienced in the ways of the world; lacking natural simplicity 2. appealing to or engaging the intellect

sophistry - noun plausible but invalid reasoning

In this grouping, sophisticated seems out of place to me.

I think a bit of sohistry has been applied to the meaning of sophisticated. :p

The best explanation I could find: http://podictionary.com/sophisticated-podictionary-19/

We think of sophisticated people as benefiting from a wealth of experience.

So why is it that when sophisticated first appeared in English around the time of Shakespeare it meant “not pure” or “not genuine.” Worse, 200 years before that the word sophistication had meant “actively misleading.”

Obviously the meaning has changed a bit.

The root of the word is sophist from Greek which meant “wise” and “learned” or “pursuing knowledge,” which is pretty close to what we think of as sophisticated today.
It wasn’t until 1895 that the “wise” and “learned” meanings at the heart of sophisticated reasserted themselves so that a person who was sophisticated wasn’t a conniving weasel-word spewing spin-doctor, but instead, as is described in the Oxford English Dictionary “a person free of naivety.”

It wasn’t until 1945 that a thing could be technologically superior and be called sophisticated.

Thanks, Harold, that makes sense.

I did not know the meaning of this one;

somatic - adj of or pertaining to the human body

Thanks, Harold, that makes sense.

I did not know the meaning of this one;

somatic - adj of or pertaining to the human body

esp. as distinct from the mind; bodily, corporeal, physical; spec. pertaining to the soma.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Yes, indeed. I must have been side-tracked by soma, the perfect drug.

Here is one that goes back a ways;

soft-soap - verb 1. informal to persuade or try to persuade by gentle, persistent urging or flattery 2. informal to compliment excessively and ingratiatingly

esp. as distinct from the mind; bodily, corporeal, physical; spec. pertaining to the soma.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

OTOH, psychosomatic refers to physical symptoms influenced by mental conditions.

A laugh on the subject from Pearls Before Swine:

154659.gif

Thanks, Harold, for the great laugh!

For the record, 1sickbastard, it is beatnik without the c. My dad was a beatnik.

One of my mother's favorite words, "Don't get snippety with me, young lady!";

snippety - adj rudely unceremonious

Thanks, Harold, for the great laugh!

For the record, 1sickbastard, it is beatnik without the c. My dad was a beatnik.

One of my mother's favorite words, "Don't get snippety with me, young lady!";

snippety - adj rudely unceremonious

Sorry, that's just how out of use that word is. (No it isn't, I just can't spell worth a damn)
I hope you got his his books & vinyl collection

Cavalier-haughty, distainful.

My Thesaurus offered up this;

snafu - verb 1. slang to harm irreparably through inept handling; make a mess of 2. slang to put into total disorder

snafu - noun 1. slang a lack of order or regular arrangement 2. slang a ruinous state of disorder

I had been told this was a military term that meant Situation Now All Fucked Up, or SNAFU, most probably incorrect.

My Thesaurus offered up this;

snafu - verb 1. slang to harm irreparably through inept handling; make a mess of 2. slang to put into total disorder

snafu - noun 1. slang a lack of order or regular arrangement 2. slang a ruinous state of disorder

I had been told this was a military term that meant Situation Now All Fucked Up, or SNAFU, most probably incorrect.

Situation Normal, All Fucked UP-referes to SOP of military beaucracy as it related to combat troops in action.

Fubar-Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition-Another term from the military.

Thanks, 1sickbastard, I will keep fubar in the forefront of my thoughts and maybe it will stick.

smidgen- noun informal a tiny amount

Here are two interesting entries;

smatterer - noun - one lacking professional skill and ease in a particular pursuit

smaze - noun a thick, heavy atmospheric condition offering reduced visibility due to the presence of suspended particles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back