Time To Stop Buying Books?

FEELINGLUCKYPUNK

Loves Spam
I have 500 books on my Kindle, on payday I'll add 2 more. I also own 1000 or so print books I cannot read due to my blindness. Plus I'm old as hell.

It's more a question of how many books that you have that you haven't read yet or that you want to reread than it is how many books you own. (I wouldn't rely too heavily on actually having the Kindle books, though. If Kindle goes poof won't your access to the files go poof as well? Some of the e-libraries of "bought" file access have gone that way in the past). I produce e-books, but I only read print. I can see the benefit to being able to up the font, as needed, in a e-book, though.

I have 500 books on my Kindle, on payday I'll add 2 more. I also own 1000 or so print books I cannot read due to my blindness. Plus I'm old as hell.

James, I've been there, done that.

A couple of nice young ladies came and took away half a truckload of my books. The books cost me squillions; the young ladies paid me pennies (give or take).

But the worse thing is: I sold some of the books that I shouldn't have sold. And there are a couple of days most weeks when one of my eyes still works. Oh, well. Good luck, James.

James, I've been there, done that.

A couple of nice young ladies came and took away half a truckload of my books. The books cost me squillions; the young ladies paid me pennies (give or take).

But the worse thing is: I sold some of the books that I shouldn't have sold. And there are a couple of days most weeks when one of my eyes still works. Oh, well. Good luck, James.

I read Dr Samuel Johnson had tuberculosis of the glands and was seriously sight impaired.

I have bought CDs of classic books via eBay.

I have 150,000 loaded on my kindle clone.

Latin and Greek classics in translations? Check.

Shakespeare? Check.

Chaucer? Check.

Charles Dickens? Check.

Trollope, Walter Scott, Conan Doyle, Kipling, John Buchan, Early Sci-Fi...? Check.

I don't have an electronic thingy for reading material.
I prefer the printed page.

I ain't bought no books in eons.

Don't even remember which was the last.

If you have digital books, I recommend you use a reader with an electronic paper screen as opposed to one with an LCD. It's better for your eyes because it's not backlit and can be configured/made to not blink or flicker, which also reduces eyestrain compared to a screen with a refresh rate.

I'm trying to reduce the size of my library. I have downsized to about 3,000 books from 15,000 I had twenty years ago but 3,000 is still too many.

My wife and I buy about twenty books a month.

I'm trying to reduce the size of my library. I have downsized to about 3,000 books from 15,000 I had twenty years ago but 3,000 is still too many.

My wife and I buy about twenty books a month.

I dream of ONLY buying 20 books a month. I mean, when you see something like this at a garage sale and they only want a couple of bucks for it, I buy it even if I already have a copy because it's just soooooo beautiful. Summer Book Fairs are my bane - the last one I went to, someone had to carry two apple boxes of books back to the car and I was still buying them on the way out.....:eek:

Fortunately, I live with someone who laughs at my little foibles and is almost as bad.... I think we're fast working our way UP to 15,000...

mNjiEes5xEtfJ5zRr1cBHRA.jpg

Last edited:
I have never used Kindle.

I like the feel of a good book and turning the pages.

We have a local library I'm using more each week. They also have a book exchange program.

When time permits, I visit several discount/salvage stores that has cool stuff. I get books for 50¢ - $1.00 each. Sometimes I donate my old ones.

I dream of ONLY buying 20 books a month. I mean, when you see something like this at a garage sale and they only want a couple of bucks for it, I buy it even if I already have a copy because it's just soooooo beautiful. Summer Book Fairs are my bane - the last one I went to, someone had to carry two apple boxes of books back to the car and I was still buying them on the way out.....:eek:

Fortunately, I live with someone who laughs at my little foibles and is almost as bad.... I think we're fast working our way UP to 15,000...

mNjiEes5xEtfJ5zRr1cBHRA.jpg

I gave my G A Henty collection to my brother. Now his grandsons are reading them.

I had to reduce the size of my library when we moved to a smaller house (and I retired from running my own secondhand bookshop). I gave seven tons of books to a local historic attraction for their book fair weekend - 15 years ago.

They still have just over a ton of my books left and have been selling books every day for the last 15 years. People buy a couple of books, read them, and many people bring them back with a few additions. The charity is making an average of sixty pounds a day from secondhand books. Whenever the stock on display is running low they open another box of my books. When the additions are overflowing the available display space they box up the surplus and add it to the reserve pile.

Back