Closing A Bridge In A Hurricane

SFCTaleSpinner

Experienced
I've been doing some research for a story and I've come upon some news articles that talk about counties closing certain bridges when there's a hurricane bearing down on them.

Can anyone give me some more details about exactly how they "close" a road bridge? My first thought was that they just put regular traffic barriers on the road, but I'm thinking now that's probably unlikely because those things would get tossed around like nothing in hurricane winds.

In my story, I need an excuse why a guy can't go to his girlfriend and I really need it to be something that's more selfish than justified, but it also can't make him seem like a 5-star wuss, either.

So for example, if he couldn't get to her because the roads were flooded out, that would be too legitimate an excuse not to go to her and he wouldn't make him selfish enough.

But on the other hand, if his excuse was that he wouldn't go because the roads were about to close, and realistically, all that it would take to get around a "road closure" would be to get out of his car and move a couple barriers out of the way, that just makes him seem like too much of a by-the-book boy scout to suit his character.

So story-wise, I can only use a "closed" road if it's impractical to try to get through the closure.

In the UK the Severn Bridge and the Dartford crossing are sometimes closed because of high winds.

There are some fixed barriers that can be swung across and locked into place and Police patrol cars block the roads at the previous junctions. Some plastic barrier sections can be filled with water to make sure they aren't blown away. Above-road sign gantries indicate road or lane closures miles in advance.

I've seen police cruisers parked across the roadway on either side of a bridge to close it down and turn back traffic during high winds. Depending on the laws of wherever your story is set, police might be able to ticket or even arrest drivers who ignore bridge closings.

Bridge closure is a good one, to be sure. I have seen permanent swing arms and police cars blocking closed bridges.

On the other hand, a really bad storm even without a bridge might also fit the bill - rain or winds or snow or sleet, a storm bad enough that the police issue a public notice advisng people to stay home due to road conditions. With that, he had a plausible reason for staying home, but still could have gone had he really tried.

I would assume the bridge is out without barriers when it’s completely underwater in the hurricane’s I’ve witnessed. Either you made it across in time or you’re trapped to deal with the consequences of procrastinating about leaving.
🌹Kant👠👠👠

I've been doing some research for a story and I've come upon some news articles that talk about counties closing certain bridges when there's a hurricane bearing down on them.

Can anyone give me some more details about exactly how they "close" a road bridge? My first thought was that they just put regular traffic barriers on the road, but I'm thinking now that's probably unlikely because those things would get tossed around like nothing in hurricane winds.

Does your story need a hurricane, or just a severe weather road closure?

Blizzards and Fog don't officially close roads, but they do generate PSAs on TV and radio about "please stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary"

Deciding whether a trip to his girlfriend is "absolutely necessary" and whether braving the black ice and reduced visibility is easier to resolve than avoiding a police cruiser blocking the road or moving 'safer' barriers.

Can the story be moved to mountains? I'm just below Kit Carson Pass (and Spur) in California's central Sierras Nevada. Just past the Spur is the avalanche zone. The highway there is closed, with barriers, every now and then. Driving from his bakery in Volcano to his GF at Kirkwood ski resort could be delayed because fucking avalanche warning.

So story-wise, I can only use a "closed" road if it's impractical to try to get through the closure.

An a Policeman or three either side of the affected bridge to dissuade traffic.

Blizzards and Fog don't officially close roads, but they do generate PSAs on TV and radio about "please stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary"

I know that in Colorado, Wyomng and South Dakota, and probably all adjacent states, blizzards definitely do close roads. Highways have gates that close on onramps and at the edges of towns.

That's not especially relevant if the story's locale is coastal.

We were told to evacuate South Padre Island a few years ago because of an approaching hurricane. When we left they had already pulled patrol cars across the opposite lanes to keep people from going to the island.

Last edited:
Can the story be moved to mountains? I'm just below Kit Carson Pass (and Spur) in California's central Sierras Nevada. Just past the Spur is the avalanche zone. The highway there is closed, with barriers, every now and then. Driving from his bakery in Volcano to his GF at Kirkwood ski resort could be delayed because fucking avalanche warning.

Road construction is always reliable for closing roads and bridges. Just venture through Atlanta when a crackhead decides to set the interstate on fire and it causes the overpass to collapse🙀

In my story, I need an excuse why a guy can't go to his girlfriend and I really need it to be something that's more selfish than justified, but it also can't make him seem like a 5-star wuss, either.

So for example, if he couldn't get to her because the roads were flooded out, that would be too legitimate an excuse not to go to her and he wouldn't make him selfish enough.

But on the other hand, if his excuse was that he wouldn't go because the roads were about to close, and realistically, all that it would take to get around a "road closure" would be to get out of his car and move a couple barriers out of the way, that just makes him seem like too much of a by-the-book boy scout to suit his character.

Most of the times I've seen roads closed because of weather, they strung that yellow tape they use for crime scenes across the road. That might work for you, because someone could still get through if they really want to.

I have several suggestions. I'm coming here less frequently. PM me and I'll suggest whatever and you can decide whatever.

I've seen police cruisers parked across the roadway on either side of a bridge to close it down and turn back traffic during high winds. Depending on the laws of wherever your story is set, police might be able to ticket or even arrest drivers who ignore bridge closings.
Police not only try to do their jobs in that respect, but some tend to take it personally because they use the roads and bridges construction crews build or replace.

Road construction is always reliable for closing roads and bridges. Just venture through Atlanta when a crackhead decides to set the interstate on fire and it causes the overpass to collapse🙀
Right up my alley. Something I've spent much of my life doing before turning my attention and focus on writing. My reputation as a worker and leader not afraid to get dirty and try new things still precedes me in some circles. I finally agreed to the next gig after thinking I left it behind for good.

Seeing as how my body has taken a brutal pounding over the years, the last near fatal accident slowed me down enough to stay away for some time. Even then, I came back unexpectedly and finished that gig before moving on to another. I eased into a sort of 'cushy' job there, got bored thinking the guys figured I shouldn't come back to do the same stuff we've always done. Took some more advanced tests. But left unexpectedly due to a death in the family among other things.

I'm going back into it out of necessity. I'm already in, but the process is getting longer on the administration end. I could simply show up and start and everything would go retro in that respect. This time, I'm accepting a 'supervisory' position. Knowing me, I'll ignore most of that and get down in the dirt to get the job done - same as the other workers.

Most of the times I've seen roads closed because of weather, they strung that yellow tape they use for crime scenes across the road. That might work for you, because someone could still get through if they really want to.
They are, but weather and road conditions can be unpredictable. Some tend to ignore all that. I'd recommend caution no matter what the weather conditions are if anything is suspect.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. I see the word "bridge" and it's like a push button for me. I suppose that type response will never leave me. :)

From my experience, if there is an actual hurricane with several days advance warning, the hero of the story would be greeted with police cars protecting 3 foot high concrete barriers blocking the road. Usually when they close roads for such instances, they mean business.

Back