Seventh in Line (closed for lmcms)

When Ania seen Malkin sit in the place Yorgis had been in she gave him a soft tender smile. Though she couldn't really lift arm up to him she slid it across the bed that was hers for now until it touched his leg. "You havn't been laughing or smiling commander I can tell. You should smile it will make everyone feel better." She whispered up to him.

She thought of everything he must be dealing with and knew it was weighing down on him. She wished she was stronger to help him feel better himself but she was weak and she was tired but she wanted to spend time with him even if it wsn't for very long and try to get a smile out of him. She moved her hand back and forth so that she was rubbing his leg trying to show him he wasn't alone.

"Later can I go see Cestus please." She asked her voice still scratchy instead of it's normal pure sound. She wanted to see her friend to check on him for herself.
 
A small smile formed on his lips though it was partially obscured by the black hairs forming over his features. "I haven't had much to smile or laugh about these past days I'm afraid." He said and it made him feel a bit buoyed when he felt her hand moving over his leg as if to show that she really was alive.

Slowly he rested his hand over hers and brought it up to his lips and gave her a small kiss as he looked down upon her. At the request he nodded slowly. "Yorgis says a little walking about would be fine. He doesn't know exactly how much willpower you have given he said something about never seeing someone take that many herbs. You shouldn't have taxed yourself that much Ania." He said in a whisper that didn't hide the worry in his voice.

"It could have very well killed you." He said even though he knew that she had only meant to protect them as she had before.
 
"And what could would my life be if my friends and family and ....." She paused for a moment deciding to skip the reast of that statement. "There would be nothing left for me to live for I would gladly trade my life for those here. I knew I wouldn't beable to do what I needed without taking so much of the herb. You, this camp, these people are worth far more than my life." She told him seriously.

She tried to move closer to him but she ws too weak and taxed from everything to move much. She wanted to feel him beside her to know he was okay. "Lay with me until I go to sleep?" She asked softly shyly as if she was sure he would turn her down.
 
Malkin paused for a moment and nodded. Yorgis looked at the two for a moment and then departed. Moving gently making sure not to hurt her or put weight on her he removed his armored jacket so that he just had a simple light green tunic on.

Slowly he moved over and then rested behind her. He moved and arm over her to hold her chest. As he rested there he leaned forward an kissed Ania's neck as he held her. "I've missed you in the cold nights my lady." He said softly as he held her making sure to be gentle with his lover.
 
Ania sighed and snuggled against him as he held her lightly his words softened her heart. "I think even though I have been asleep I have been missing you for each time I have awoken it was your face I have looked for." She put her arm over his sighing with content of feeling his strength and warmth around her.

"I should be better soon to join you in your furs at night if you wish it." She whispered closing her eyes and snuggling a bit more against his chest before sleep took her. She was more relaxed than she had been feeling the security of him around her as she slept. Her world was at peace for the moment.
 
Malkin nodded and kissed her shoulder as she fell asleep. He closed his eyes thinking about times when he had awoken in the night searching for her only to recall where she was. Occasionally he had stood vigil over her in the night till Yorgis and Daliah had kicked him out telling him that he would be useless to the others and Ania if he never slept.

He took a moment enjoying the scent of her hair and her body as she fell asleep. Then slowly he rose giving her one last look before he left the tent. Things were still in mild disarray around the camp. Troops still trained and others worked at raising their tents. He had lost his best assault soldier for the time and with him his skill at arms.

To combat this Malkin had taken to drilling Cestus' surviving charges himself and had been forced to put aside teaching Simon at nights. Fortunately while Simon was young he was also smart, diligent and hard working and had hoped into the temporary void as a captain well enough. Malkin was extremely proud of that fact as he donned training gear and moved off to work with the students.

Occasional reports interrupted his work but thankfully the day had little major incidents. Soon enough night slowly began to creep over the land and he returned battered and tired to the tent where they kept Ania. Moving to her bed he hoped she wanted to still see Cestus and that Cestus would be coherent enough for visitors. He knew it would make both them feel better seeing each other still kicking.
 
Ania had woken about an hour before Malkin came into the tent Yorgis had fed her again forcing her to eat more insisting it would speed her recovery. She knew he was right but she did not feel like eating and knew it was a side effect of taking too much of the drug.The meal had made her feel better too she could herself but still not walk now she would probably be abed a few more days but she was determined to find an escourt to carry her or help her walk so that she could visit the rest in camp especially Cestus and his troops she missed watching them train.

When Malkin came into the tent she was sitting up Yoris having placed pillows furs and what-nots to help support her in her indevour. She smiled slightly holding her arms up to him. "Oh Malkin I'm so happy to see you back here. I do have a favor to ask of you though even though seeing you as brightened my mood creatly. Would it be a burden to have you carry me to visit Cestus now and maybe tomorrow let me sit and watch the troops train? I miss watching them train."
 
Malkin paused before her and leaned his head to the side with a wonky grin. But the fact that she wanted him to do it to bring her to Cestus made it hard to resist as much.

Leaning down with a feigned huff to just to play around with her he put and arm under her butt and around her shoulders and lifted. His powerful arms had little trouble with the small mage's lithe figure and he gave her a barely visible smile as he picked her up from the bed.

"Only because I'm sure you're tired of the bed sores." Malkin said and then leaned in and gave her a small kiss on the lips before moving her out of the tent as Yorgis held the flap. They moved through the base and Malkin felt a bit silly about it but he didn't care, it would only be for a little. They walked past newly formed tents and people in conversation while others huddled around fires passing tales of how they had defeated one of the undead creatures bare handed.

"Yorgis thinks that there is a necromancer hunting us. We're looking to be better prepared for the next time they strike." He said as he carried her to Cestus' tent.
 
Ania stuck her tongue out as his acting like she was an inconvience even though deep inside she did feel a bit like one. When he kissed her lips she sighed softly and wrapped her arms around his neck. As he carried her through camp she rested her head on his shoulder feeling a bit self consious of the looks that came there way but she needed out of the tent she was guessing was Yorgis'. She really wanted to Cestus too he was basically her best friend and it would hurt her greatly if anything at all happened to him.

When the guard to Cestus tent held the flap for them she gave him a wan smile that he easily returned. Inside the tent Cestus was grumbling and lucid instinctively she mouthed off to his grumbling. "No wander you don't have visitors acting like a great big grizzly you probably scared them all away." She looked up from Malkin's shoulder flashing a smile at Cestus.
 
Malkin watched as Cestus leaned to the side a bit giving them a ragged cough. He looked paler and a bit slimmed down than usual but the fierceness was still in the man and Malkin knew he would pull through, he had to.

His shoulder had veins showing that were pitch black and snaked through his right arm. Wards had been painted onto the flesh by Yorgis and the air was thick with a spell he had placed to try to ward off the poison. Despite it all Cestus managed a poor excuse for a smile but a smile none the less.

"I'm afraid you catch me not at my best Ania. But my doctor is very forward that I must lay here, a useless pile of meat without anyone to fight and it's made me a bit restless. If I'm to meet the other side I'd have it done with. No slow death for Cestus."

Malkin frowned. "I'll have it no death for a good long while my friend. There is much to do and I, we need your help more than ever." The commander said as he held Ania. Cestus grumbled back an answer as he rest back down on his bed.

"Then you best hope Yorgis finds a way to stop it soon. It's like no wound Malkin. Every day is a new agony, those bastards sure know how to kill a man if they don't kill him outright." He coughed and wheezed and it made Malkin worry for his fate.
 
Ania smiled down at Cestus and determined to lift his spirits said, "Well now that you are bed bound my friend and Malkin is having to cart me around I bet we would pull even in a fight I might even get in a few jabs of my own this time." She laughed lightly but filled herself with the resolve that as soon as Malkin left her with Yorgis she would work with the older mage to combine their knowledge so that they could help Cestus as a Shadow speaker which was her gift as a mage she had knowledge Yorgis didnot just as he had knowledge she did not.

"You know Cestus when you get better you may have to force Malkin to bond with me he will be the ruin of my reputation carring me all around camp for everyone to see he is even taking me to make sure your trainies aren't slacking for you if they are I'm sure I could zap them in the rear to get them moving." She laughed and reached down with one hand to touch Cestus unaffraid of the posion in his system.
 
Cestus nodded to her and gave Malkin a grunt before Malkin spoke his own piece to Ania. "Don't make me regret carting you around." He said with a little growl though there was a smile on his lips for a moment before they said their goodbyes. He took her through the camp proper where most of the captains and tents focused on the healing were located before taking her to his tent at the end.

He didn't know if he would keep her there or return her to the main tent they'd had her but he needed a small respite for a moment. Alone together he laid her down and ran a finger through her hair clearing some from her face as he looked upon her. He said nothing merely enjoying the knowledge that she was okay.
 
Ania smiled at him as he caressed her cheek and turned to kiss his palm lightly. She was enjoying just being here with him alone for the time being. She was getting weary again but she wanted this time with him. Weakly she leaned into him kissing his lips softly if a bit weakly. "Missed you." She whispered softly cuddling up against him so that she could feel his warmth and power and know he was there with her even if only for a little while.

She could feel her emotions growing inside her for him but she knew that her main focus needed to healing herself and then the camp especially Cestus before she worried about her and Malkin. She would do whatever was needed to get the camp back on it's feet and if things worked out with Malkin then it was only a bonus in her mind.
 
Malkin smiled once more as she kissed him and he kissed her back in return. "I know." He said and he knew she would likely hear from Yorgis how many times he had stood vigil over her hoping she would wake up. Finally his prayers and wishes had been received it appeared and he would not let this gift go. Being apart from her in the fashion had only made him want her more he had realized and he wondered if she felt the same.

He rested a hand on her shoulder and rested his cheek against hers as he held her for a moment, almost as if to check that she was in fact real. Then he pulled back and there was a note of sadness in around his mouth.

"I must leave you for a time. Simon will be close by and you may call on the guards if you need anything. There is water and I will have food brought." He said as he held her.

"I will be back as soon as I can." He said to her enjoying the warmth of her body and knowing the strength that pressed on within it.
 
"I will be back as soon as I can." He said and she nodded resting her head against him for a moment.

It seemed he had decided she was going to stay in his tent at least for a while. She watched as he slowly reluctantly rose from the furs and made his way out the front flap. She sighed and closed her eyes. She had so much she needed to do and she needed to talk with Yorgis but she was so tired. Just as small nap she told herself so she could refresh then she would have Yorgis called so they could discuss Cestus she promised herself they would save him.

She quickly fell into a normal sleep.

When she woke again she knew not much time had passed maybe an hour or two at most. She called to the gaurd and when she was answered she asked for Yorgis to be retrieved. While she had slept she had had an idea about Cestus and was eager to talk to Yorgis about.
 
It was getting on to the evening hour when Yorgis and Malkin appeared. Malkin learned about why the man had come soon enough before moving the flap to allow the old wizard entrance. After that he moved inside his tent and after nodding with a small smile towards Ania he grabbed a bottle of wine from one of the raids and prepared two glasses.

Yorgis' old wrinkly face smiled at Ania as he knelt down besides her. "I was told you might have some idea to deal with the poison attacking Cestus' body?"
 
Ania smiled at Malkin before turning her attention to Yorgis. She gave him a serious look before speaking. "I do. You said you think Necromancy was involved in the attack on the camp. What if the poison was a necromancy spell? If it is it would explain why nothing you have tried has worked yet." She paused and looked to Malkin a blush spreading over her face as she turned back to Yorgis and whispered a truth she knew he well knew. "Shadow talkers are not all that diffrent from necromancers. From what I could see, what Cestus said, and from what I felt when I touched him I believe this to be true."

She stopped again gathering herself she knew what she was about to say would set both men off. "I think I know how to cure him but I'm too weak to do it. I will need another does of the .......... herbs. The longer we wait the less chance of success I will have."
 
Malkin's fingers involuntarily tightened around the bottle at Ania's words. Thankfully Yorgis helped to alleviate the situation quickly. The old wizard shook his head and rested a hand on Ania's arm.

"I've looked into the potential that it was some sort of enchantment but it appears to be just a deadly poison. Besides that you should be mindful of using the power within you too much Ania. Shadow magic is deadly even when utilized by someone who knows it. I would not risk your life with another round of the herbs unless we knew for sure there was no other option." Yorgis said though he knew she would still likely wish to try the technique.

"Cestus is stable for now and I have plans to sneak into the local alchemists guild at our next target and stock up on some better antidotes." Yorgis said and stood up and gave her one more small sad smile. "You should concentrate on resting." Yorgis said before walking along out to the exit. He spoke a word or two with Malkin before leaving the two of them alone.

"It's very brave of you to offer to help again." Malkin said and brought two cups of wine over to her hoping the taste might offer up some respite from the lingering pain.
 
Ania took a sip of the wine and closed her eyes. She knew her magic was risky but she was no fool she knew what she was doing, well most of the time. She also knew she was one few natural shadow speakers. She hated being bound to this bed unable to help and she suddenly felt very much like Cestus and wanted to start kicking up a fuss but she knew it would do her no more good than it did him.

She opened her eyes and looked up at Malkin. "Thank you commander." she said in a soft voice. Everytime she slept she was feeling better and better. She was hoping that within a few days she would beable to walk again and move about camp on her own.
 
Malkin nodded to her before he took another drink. He knelt down next to her and rest his fingers over her shoulders leaning in to kiss her softly and slowly when she wasn't taking a sip.

"I know you want to help Cestus but for now I want you to just focus on resting up and getting better. You're not like to be much use to anyone if you push yourself to quickly." Malkin said trying not to sound stern and more just a friend looking out for her but besides being her lover he was her commander so long as she wanted to be with the Shadows.
 
Ania sighed resigned knowing he was right. "I know Malkin it's just hard when you know you could help but your too weak at the moment. Thank you for bringing me here." She enjoyed the small soft kiss he ad given her and lifted his hand to kiss it enjoying the taste of his skin on her lips.

She shook off her melencoly. "You know if you plan to leave me here some female is going to be very upset when she tries to sneak in here for her chance at you." She said and laughed.
 
Malkin gave her a wonky smile and then slowly removed his armored jacket and barking an order to the guards that they were not to be disturbed. Leaning in he let his chest rub against hers as he kissed her again on the furs.

"You think I'd abandon you so quick and go back to Daliah in my grief or that she is so malicious as to try sneaking into my furs with you out cold?" He asked her with a sly grin and his hands rubbed her shoulders.
 
Ania moaned into the kiss and wrapped her arms around him. When he pulled back she grinned up at him. "I dunno you tell me." She said on a laugh but then all his words dawned on her. "What were you grieving for Malkin?" She asked with a curious frown. She kept her hands around his neck as she asked this enjoying having him so very close to her.
 
Malkin gave her a small smile as he rested on top of her. Her embrace set the world right for him as he brushed his lips over hers idly. "I was worried I might lose the silly girl who liked to bite off more than she could chew and almost get herself killed in the process." Malkin said and closed his just remained there partially resting on her as she laid on his furs.
 
Ania returned each of his small kisses. "Yeah well I heard a rumor that, that silly girl is well on her way to recovery and would gladly do what she did again to save her family friends and lo..... well her family and friends." She said refusing to say the last out loud at least for a while yet.

She ran her fingers through his hair as he closed his eyes and rested hlaf on top of her. She placed small kisses where ever she could reach reassuring him in her way that she would be okay. After a little bit she smiled at him, "Besides I also hear tell that she would not let you get out of being near her that easily. She plans to stick around for a while so she can keep playing tricks on you. Speaking of which how's the water around here?" She asked with a laugh.
 
Back
Top