Free association thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, mine are tough to keep on the course, always in trouble! Takes quite a bit of work, but they are so smart, they deserve to get on in life.

:kiss:

The Class from Hell? been there, done that! And yes, they were so smart too, but, being the arrogant and spoilt children of rich business people, they will probably inherit the businesses one day!

The Class from Hell? been there, done that! And yes, they were so smart too, but, being the arrogant and spoilt children of rich business people, they will probably inherit the businesses one day!

Better to be born lucky that to be born rich?

I was born under a wandering star. (and no, my mother wasn't a nomadic movie actor) ;)

LOL, you are my lucky star. :kiss:

No, no, my students are the opposite. Poor bright people who were always told to stay in their proper place and not grumble. I love them. (Nearly as much as I love you ;) )

Tom Daley - Piglet heartthrob. (I think she might be waiting a long time ... A twinkie if ever I saw one! ROFL.)

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Awww, my Piglet. Cuddle cuddle, snoffle. I will miss making cakes and pictures of mermaids and volcanos out of bicarbonate of soda with the Cub Scouts when you grow up.

:heart:

Awww, my Piglet. Cuddle cuddle, snoffle. I will miss making cakes and pictures of mermaids and volcanos out of bicarbonate of soda with the Cub Scouts when you grow up.

Avoid any suggestion of boyish chemical experiments that involve potassium permanganate. It stains the skin for weeks.

Avoid any suggestion of boyish chemical experiments that involve potassium permanganate. It stains the skin for weeks.

Oh thanks for the tip! We are planning on making large papier maché volcanoes over the next few weeks. In fact, you are just the person to ask. Do you have online instructions somewhere as to how to make good papier maché? Our main newspaper for doing this will be the FT Weekend, interspersed with occasional pages of The Guardian and The Telegraph if Scotland played well and there is any hope of a report on it by the superior sports journalists in TT.

Bringing students' skills on is always a good feeling.
:kiss:

How very true. Sadly, it does not happen often for me.

The Class from Hell? been there, done that!

Isn't it soul-destroying?

Oh thanks for the tip! We are planning on making large papier maché volcanoes over the next few weeks. In fact, you are just the person to ask. Do you have online instructions somewhere as to how to make good papier maché?

Newsprint will work quite well, but it is important that the paper is torn to small pieces and you use a decent wall-paper adhesive (the old sort, mixed with water). Get the paper good and wet.

And of which volcano/s have you in mind to make models ?.
Krakatoa would be a good one, as would Mount St Helens.
Santorini, (Thera) if you can get enough technical information.

How very true. Sadly, it does not happen often for me.

Newsprint will work quite well, but it is important that the paper is torn to small pieces and you use a decent wall-paper adhesive (the old sort, mixed with water). Get the paper good and wet.

And of which volcano/s have you in mind to make models ?.
Krakatoa would be a good one, as would Mount St Helens.
Santorini, (Thera) if you can get enough technical information.

(Never mind, HP, I will bring you a cup of tea in Naked Party :rose:)

Oh great! Perhaps I can let them choose. It'll all be part of the great learning experience. There are four of them, one is sure to choose some underwater volcano and insist on making it in the kitchen sink, leading to culinary difficulties for days afterwards. They come to tea and ask things like, "What is a degraded boson?" (Not a bosun, Og!) At least I was able satisfactorily to explailn what E=MC2 is. I felt quite proud of that, being a mere social scientist.

:rose:

(Never mind, HP, I will bring you a cup of tea in Naked Party :rose:)

Oh great! Perhaps I can let them choose. It'll all be part of the great learning experience. There are four of them, one is sure to choose some underwater volcano and insist on making it in the kitchen sink, leading to culinary difficulties for days afterwards. They come to tea and ask things like, "What is a degraded boson?" (Not a bosun, Og!) At least I was able satisfactorily to explailn what E=MC2 is. I felt quite proud of that, being a mere social scientist.

:rose:

Well, you can explain E=MC^2 to me sometime, because it is not too easy to grasp. It's the WHY it's the C squared that's the puzzle.

How old are these builders ?

Don't, please don't, do Krakatoa.

A model of a Krakatoa-type eruption would have to use explosives.

I know that small boys love big bangs but there are limits and 'ealth and Safety rules ruin the fun.

When Og was a lad...

Making our own black powder... No. Not that story.

There were too many accessible items of unexploded ordnance around when Og was young. One of my primary school classmates lost some fingers to the detonator from a hand grenade. Then there was the WW2 tank we lads played in that still had its live shells in the racks, the mine that washed up on the beach, the sunken landing craft within our free diving depth loaded with small arms and ammo...

We learned to be careful and to treat any unusual metal object with extreme caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back