Runners unite?

I completed my second ever half-marathon race today.

I achieved my target of beating 1hr 55mins -- and with negative splits. In fact, my fastest mile was the last one, and my second fastest was the one before that. I'm very pleased with that. :)

I found the race most enjoyable. The course was well-organised and lined with crowds of cheering supporters, and the weather was sunny and warm without being uncomfortably hot. I felt in control over the entire distance as my run went completely to plan, and I don't appear to have any after-effects apart from a bit of tiredness in my legs and a dose of mild euphoria. :D :D :D

I achieved my target of beating 1hr 55mins -- and with negative splits. In fact, my fastest mile was the last one, and my second fastest was the one before that. I'm very pleased with that. :)

I found the race most enjoyable. The course was well-organised and lined with crowds of cheering supporters, and the weather was sunny and warm without being uncomfortably hot. I felt in control over the entire distance as my run went completely to plan, and I don't appear to have any after-effects apart from a bit of tiredness in my legs and a dose of mild euphoria. :D :D :D

Way to go!!! Sounds like it was marvelous. Thanks for continuing to inspire!

Great job!!! Congratulations! Already looking for the next one I bet?

Runner here, training for the Twin Cities Marathon in the fall, luckily the arctic chill over Minneapolis is finally starting to fade.

I don't consider myself a runner but I do run a 10K three times a week. A good friend has been trying to get me to do a half with her. How hard is it to jump from 10K to a half?

You are definitely a runner, not much of a leap at all, just be diligent with a training plan and tell yourself you are running that far.

Another trail run yesterday. 5 miles with lots of hills, roots, rocks, logs, etc. Loved it!

Way to go!!! Sounds like it was marvelous. Thanks for continuing to inspire!
Thanks, Psyche! It is truly an amazing experience to run along with crowds of supporters cheering you on. You'll enjoy it too! :)

Great job!!! Congratulations! Already looking for the next one I bet?
Thanks, Donna! I guess that a full marathon ought to be my long-term target, with training over intermediate distances as milestones along the way. :)

I'm on a roll at the moment! I've just run my fastest-ever 5km time (by 20 secs), beating 22 minutes for the first time ever. I consider that to be quite an achievement at my current age, and with my phenotype. :D

Great job, Mindfondler!!

(I did 3.5 miles this morning at a very slow pace... which isn't much at all compared to what others do, but it's better than nothing, maybe, and will get better once spring actually arrives up here).

Great job, Mindfondler!!
Thanks, QL! :)

(I did 3.5 miles this morning at a very slow pace... which isn't much at all compared to what others do, but it's better than nothing, maybe, and will get better once spring actually arrives up here).
We all have to start somewhere! It's not that long ago (well, about 7 years) that I struggled to keep going for 3 miles without stopping for a rest. I'm definitely not naturally equipped for long-distance running (sprinting, more so) but I have put in a lot of work to change that, and it now seems to be paying dividends. :)

Hey runners! Real life got crazy but I have been running. Did a 10k and had a PR at 55:26. Shaved 3 min off my previous PR! Got my second half in a month Sunday. Hope everyone is doing great!

Thanks, Psyche! It is truly an amazing experience to run along with crowds of supporters cheering you on. You'll enjoy it too! :)

Thanks, Donna! I guess that a full marathon ought to be my long-term target, with training over intermediate distances as milestones along the way. :)

I'm on a roll at the moment! I've just run my fastest-ever 5km time (by 20 secs), beating 22 minutes for the first time ever. I consider that to be quite an achievement at my current age, and with my phenotype. :D

Did you seriously just use the word "phenotype?". I wonder if you are flirting with this runner / bio teacher.

Phenotype? Wow, way to make me go look for a definition!

BTW, seven minute miles are nothing to sneeze at, no matter what your age or phenotype.

I struggled to run that fast in my twenties. Now in my late forties I can barely hang on to eight minute miles for 10K.

Bill

Did a 10k and had a PR at 55:26. Shaved 3 min off my previous PR!
Well done! That's a major chunk of time that you've sliced off there. :)

BTW, seven minute miles are nothing to sneeze at, no matter what your age or phenotype.
Thanks! :)

I struggled to run that fast in my twenties. Now in my late forties I can barely hang on to eight minute miles for 10K.
That's still pretty good, by my reckoning! :)

Did you seriously just use the word "phenotype?". I wonder if you are flirting with this runner / bio teacher.
I think I've just been told that I'm a sophisticated flirt. :D

I am not fast. That is what I love about being a trail runner. Instead of saying I ran xx miles in xx minutes, I can say "I saw four deer and one rattle snake."

And yes, Mindfindler, you are...I've seen you strip, you know. ;) Nice quads.

I am not fast. That is what I love about being a trail runner. Instead of saying I ran xx miles in xx minutes, I can say "I saw four deer and one rattle snake."
I'm not impressed!* I have to contend with children on bikes, dogs taking their owners for a walk, and errant pedestrians using smartphones, They're much more dangerous on a run than ruminants and rattlesnakes. ;)

* Actually, I am rather impressed.

And yes, Mindfindler, you are...I've seen you strip, you know. ;) Nice quads.
You'd be surprised at how rarely I hear that. ;)

Running Man

I just ran the Hollywood Half Marathon. Second time running it and second time they changed the course. I'll NEVER run this tace again,as they ate already planning to change the course gor next year's race. Currently training for a Spartan 1/2 marathon in September and a 10 miler in October.

I'm not impressed!* I have to contend with children on bikes, dogs taking their owners for a walk, and errant pedestrians using smartphones, They're much more dangerous on a run than ruminants and rattlesnakes. ;)

* Actually, I am rather impressed.

I have to contend with bird watchers. Most are too lazy to get more than fifty feet away from the parking lot, so they set up their tripods on the bridge I need to cross and block the whole path. I actually got bitched out for scaring away a seagull that some guy was trying to shoot a photo of. Sorry MF if my California accent offends you, but this is what I said:

"A seagull!?!?! Seriously? I might break stride for a heron or an egret, but a seagull? They are like the rats of the sea birds! If you want to shoot photos of a seagull, go hang out in the Jack-N-The-Box parking lot and quite blocking the foot bridge!"

And people? I actually have a scar on my face from getting hit by a man on a bicycle. I've never been bothered by a snake, but once a squirrel ran into me and we both the the eebie-jeebies.

Been lurking around Lit for a few months now and finally decided to make it official. As you can tell from my handle, I am part of the kinky running group that are members here. Once was a bit of a marathon addict but stick to 5-10k races these days, gotta save my energy and joints for plenty of erotic adventures ;)

Cheers,
RM

I have to contend with bird watchers.
For a moment there, I thought you meant guys who were ogling you. [English slang: "bird" = desirable woman] :D

Been lurking around Lit for a few months now and finally decided to make it official. As you can tell from my handle, I am part of the kinky running group that are members here.
Hey... how did you know that I'm kinky? ;)

Had my 3rd ever half marathon today. I absolutely killed it. Finished 1:56:47. My goal was under 2 hours so I was crazy happy. Took me a while to get into a rhythm for the firs couple miles. Mikes 3-9 were easy. The last 4.1 really were tough but I could not be happier. Had some other runners encourage me toward the end which was great. There are such a great group of people. My previous PR I set 3 weeks ago and beat it by almost 7 min!

Had my 3rd ever half marathon today. I absolutely killed it. Finished 1:56:47. My goal was under 2 hours so I was crazy happy. Took me a while to get into a rhythm for the firs couple miles. Mikes 3-9 were easy. The last 4.1 really were tough but I could not be happier. Had some other runners encourage me toward the end which was great. There are such a great group of people. My previous PR I set 3 weeks ago and beat it by almost 7 min!

Well done! My fastest half was just under 2 hours. I couldn't do that today, but.... I will again.

You just ran a half 3 weeks ago? You're on fire!

You just ran a half 3 weeks ago? You're on fire!

Thanks! I sorta have gotten hooked. Ran a 10k in between as well. Dropped 13 lbs in the past 6 weeks. Although that has probably been helped by me giving up drinking for Lent.

My next race is in 2 weeks. It is a 5k trail run. I have never done a trail race before. Any pointers from people who have done it vs a road race?

This runner has been hiking!!! I am going up Whitney this summer, so training, acclimating, getting my hiking legs strong. Amazing how sore a runner gets from hiking up and down steep terrain. Is it any wonder I constantly crave a foot / leg massage? In fact...I have developed a true foot fetish..

Back