Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
pandiculation noun the act of stretching before going to bed or after waking up.

...and with that, I will say, "good night." :)

Those are all great seldom-used words, Emily. Thanks so much for contributing them.

prairie schooner - noun a covered wagon used by pioneers in cross-country travel - called also a prairie wagon

pandiculation noun the act of stretching before going to bed or after waking up.

...and with that, I will say, "good night." :)

But stretching what, Emily? Would a panderer be more likely to pandiculate that a mere pan-handler? Can we expect a panoramic panegyric of pansexuality?

faience n., earthenware decorated with opaque colored glazes.

Etymology: French, from Faenza, Italy

Ina Caro used the word in her book Paris To The Past: Traveling Through French History by Train.

...Rouen turned out to be a delightful surprise, a city filled with fabulous restaurants, artists creating faience, and a large car-free area of pedestrian streets lined with eight hundred half-timbered houses built during the Middle Ages...

But stretching what, Emily? Would a panderer be more likely to pandiculate that a mere pan-handler? Can we expect a panoramic panegyric of pansexuality?

What lovely alliteration, Tio. I'll indulge and delight in my dalliance with your delicious debate, and simply suppose and suggest, that a panderer would be far more likely to pandiculate than a mere pan-handler; paying special attention to his posterior, naturally. Perhaps one should not expect a "panoramic panegyric of pansexuality," but rather the ponderings of a particularly playful person. ;)

What lovely alliteration, Tio. I'll indulge and delight in my dalliance with your delicious debate, and simply suppose and suggest, that a panderer would be far more likely to pandiculate than a mere pan-handler; paying special attention to his posterior, naturally. Perhaps one should not expect a "panoramic panegyric of pansexuality," but rather the ponderings of a particularly playful person. ;)

corollary - noun : 1. A proposition that follows directly from the proof of another proposition. 2. An obvious deduction. 3. A natural consequence or result. 4. The outcome of an event especially as relative to an individual.

adjective : Consequent or resultant.

:D

corollary - noun : 1. A proposition that follows directly from the proof of another proposition. 2. An obvious deduction. 3. A natural consequence or result. 4. The outcome of an event especially as relative to an individual.

adjective : Consequent or resultant.

:D

Nice, PayDay. :)

Quite a lovely exchange, while I was away in my garden digging up weeds, mostly devil grass, all day. Well done, contributors.

pragmatic - adj 1. archaic a. (1) BUSY (2) OFFICIOUS b. OPINIONATED 2. relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters 3. relating to or in accordance with pragmagtism

basorexia - uncontrollable urge to kiss.

while i love this word and its concept, it appears to be pure slang.

It is wonderful to find new posters to this thread, when I visit it. Welcome her_secret, Emily124 and of course PayDay, if I forgot to mention it before.

praenomen - noun the first of the usual three names of an ancient Roman

It is wonderful to find new posters to this thread, when I visit it. Welcome her_secret, Emily124 and of course PayDay, if I forgot to mention it before.

But what, pray tell, was the praenomen praetorium, my dearest Allard? Did he preside over the praesidium?

Well, Tio, I really don't know. You are certainly feeling very alliterate lately, huh?

praemunire - noun an offense against the English Crown punishable chiefly by forteiture and originally committed by asserting papal legal supremacy in England

Well, Allard, my dearest partner in unholy nonwedlock, being alliterative is far better than being illiterative or even aliterative.

Well, Tio, I really don't know. You are certainly feeling very alliterate lately, huh?

praemunire - noun an offense against the English Crown punishable chiefly by forteiture and originally committed by asserting papal legal supremacy in England

Oops! That was on the immediately previous page...

pumpkin, pompkin - A man or woman of Boston 'From the number of pomkins raised and eaten' 1785. (Whence, perhaps, the mainly US use - persons, occasionally things, of importance - or who think they are.)

Think pumpkins of oneself - To think well, sometimes inordinately well, of oneself. Ouida The Massarenes 1897.

Last edited:

Thank you, Allard. :)

effete- adjective (of a person) affected, overrefined, and ineffectual; no longer capable of effective action.

Og, that is what happens when the OP gets in a hurry. Please excuse the second entry.

praedial - adj of or relating to land or its products

Good day, posters. Here is a word that has more definitions than I realized;

powwow - noun 1. a North American Indian medicine man 2. a North American Indian ceremony(as for victory in war) 3.a. a socail get-together b. a meeting for discussion

Good morning all you sesquipedalians,
('sesquipedalian' - an obscure word that means 'a lover of obscure words).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back