The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LT ~ I so should probably be going back to sleep...

FLT ~ .....that's so not happening right now! :D

To be honest, I may still be asleep right now and all of you are figments of my imagination. Which means you're wearing far too many clothes.

I mean you, FD.

LT:

There is a thing, called the Golden Age Fallacy. It basically goes like this:

"Things used to be so great back then. They're just not the same as they are now."

This is, as I said, a fallacy. We all do it. I was a late 80's/90's kid for the most part, and feel like that was the best time for things like music and a lot of television and movies. That's not to say that is true, or even logical, but it is how I feel.

I also have to recognize that it's nostalgia, and not a rational or fair look at how things are now. There is still great music. There are still great movies, and great television shows, and great times.

We also, naturally, have a tendency to remember the good times and forget the bad. If you have children, you don't typically think of how much pain there was involved in birthing them. Your mind has evolved ways around ignoring the negative and enhancing the positive in the past, making the Golden Age Fallacy that much easier to fall into.

We do this all the time in America. Everyone loves to talk about "traditional" America, and how great things once were. Never mind the fact that significant portions of our population were second class citizens. Never mind the fact that we didn't even have things like the polio or MMR vaccines, and successful heart transplants were just starting to happen. Things were awesome!

Unless you had polio, or needed a new heart, or were a minority.

Were times great before? Who the fuck knows. I don't know, nor am I claiming to. But too often we act like things are on a steady decline, when all they've done is change. Welcome to life! Everything changes. If you're static, you die. So maybe, instead of lamenting the change, we can try going with it. Other people will. The only one you're shortchanging is yourself.

LT:

"Things used to be so great back then. They're just not the same as they are now."

This is, as I said, a fallacy. We all do it. I was a late 80's/90's kid for the most part, and feel like that was the best time for things like music and a lot of television and movies. That's not to say that is true, or even logical, but it is how I feel.

I also have to recognize that it's nostalgia, and not a rational or fair look at how things are now. There is still great music. There are still great movies, and great television shows, and great times.

We also, naturally, have a tendency to remember the good times and forget the bad. If you have children, you don't typically think of how much pain there was involved in birthing them. Your mind has evolved ways around ignoring the negative and enhancing the positive in the past, making the Golden Age Fallacy that much easier to fall into.

We do this all the time in America. Everyone loves to talk about "traditional" America, and how great things once were. Never mind the fact that significant portions of our population were second class citizens. Never mind the fact that we didn't even have things like the polio or MMR vaccines, and successful heart transplants were just starting to happen. Things were awesome!

Were times great before? Who the fuck knows. I don't know, nor am I claiming to. But too often we act like things are on a steady decline, when all they've done is change. Welcome to life! Everything changes. If you're static, you die. So maybe, instead of lamenting the change, we can try going with it. Other people will. The only one you're shortchanging is yourself.

Hello random rant.

LT:

Hello random rant.

Actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective view...wait... give me a minute, I know I can get this right.

From the viewpoint of a newbie, his view might be spot on. I'm guilty of this myself when you apply it to the longing of what the lounge "used to be" it absolutely makes sense.

There are a fair few of us who miss people and things who are no longer here, in doing so we may be missing those who are here now or where and who the lounge is as presently as a creature. We may complain in our yearning for yesteryear, leaving some of those for whom never existed in any part of the lounge during that time wondering what they missed, and wondering why they don't capture the imagination or attention as much as pining does.

Having recently had my attention called to this fact... what Scuttles is pointing out, does make sense.

And while it may be pointed out that I might be biased in my support of him, and while this may be true, Scuttle's had no idea I was posting this, or that I sought to further explain his post.

Actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective view...wait... give me a minute, I know I can get this right.

From the viewpoint of a newbie, his view might be spot on. I'm guilty of this myself when you apply it to the longing of what the lounge "used to be" it absolutely makes sense.

There are a fair few of us who miss people and things who are no longer here, in doing so we may be missing those who are here now or where and who the lounge is as presently as a creature. We may complain in our yearning for yesteryear, leaving some of those for whom never existed in any part of the lounge during that time wondering what they missed, and wondering why they don't capture the imagination or attention as much as pining does.

Having recently had my attention called to this fact... what Scuttles is pointing out, does make sense.

And while it may be pointed out that I might be biased in my support of him, and while this may be true, Scuttle's had no idea I was posting this, or that I sought to further explain his post.

Eh. You are putting too much thought into this place.

If I knew a way to shut my mind off, I'd use it all the time.

But until then, I'm probably putting way too much thought into a lot of things. Though that doesn't make anything that was said wrong.

If I knew a way to shut my mind off, I'd use it all the time.

But until then, I'm probably putting way too much thought into a lot of things. Though that doesn't make anything that was said wrong.

I never said it did. However Until the kiddo explained it I didn't even know you were talking about something relevant to here. Only thing other than maybe over thinking it, is from the perspective of someone who was not present for whatever conversation spurred that comment, it was a little obscure. Then again maybe that was on purpose.

To be fair I have been guilty of taking this place too seriously, a lot. It took a lot of time, and a lot of falling flat on my face to figure it out.

Eh. You are putting too much thought into this place.

Maybe I do.
But I'd like to thank you for once again dismissing what I said. I ain't mad, but it is a little old.

I was merely affirming what Bubble's said, which is something that is being echoed by a few other newbies around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back