I like Ships too

I would have said a Burke class destroyer. Aegis equipped cruisers have a smother external profile.

I'm quite sure that is a Ticonderoga class cruiser. I served aboard one for 4 years. There is a huge difference.

USS Cowpens CG 63, a Ticonderoga Class Cruiser from the same aspect, Starboard quarter,
cg63_15.jpg



USS Arliegh Burke
05015103.jpg


Not even close!
 
You're right. In the original pic the array looked slightly angled aft. I see that's just an illusion though.
 
I love that pic. I forget her name, but that's the ship who played her in the movie.

I meant "ten figures," of course. That's a toy for a billionaire, not a paltry millionaire.

The film "Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World" was made using the Surprise ( ex-Rose ). I used to see Rose afloat in the early '90s as she made her way up and down the LEast Coast. According to wikipedia, she is now the property of the Maritime Museum of San Diego.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)

300px-HMS-Surprise-overall.jpg




 
I'm quite sure that is a Ticonderoga class cruiser. I served aboard one for 4 years. There is a huge difference.

USS Cowpens CG 63, a Ticonderoga Class Cruiser from the same aspect, Starboard quarter,
cg63_15.jpg



USS Arliegh Burke
05015103.jpg


Not even close!

"31-knot" Arleigh Burke needs to have his name spelled correctly.


800px-USS_Mustin_%28DDG_89%29_stbd_stern_view.jpg
 


The film "Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World" was made using the Surprise ( ex-Rose ). I used to see Rose afloat in the early '90s as she made her way up and down the LEast Coast. According to wikipedia, she is now the property of the Maritime Museum of San Diego.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)

300px-HMS-Surprise-overall.jpg





Yup, that's her all right. I did some research not too long ago, and yeah...I want to go see her badly. I forgot they officially rechristened her.
 
uss%20united%20states%20(4).JPG


I built the U.S.S. United States like the one shown above some years ago. Had it in my office for years before one of my female employees brushed up against it and got a yard arm caught in her wooly sweater and accidentally pulled it off the shelf as she recoiled. It took me a long time to build it, but it was my fault for not putting it in a case.



You are far more charitable than I fear I'd have been. For me, that kind of self-control would have required several walks around the block, a score of "counts to ten" and reflection upon the sentencing guidelines for homocide.



 
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...reef-stricken-container-ship-to-break-up.html



N.Z. Officials Brace for Stricken Oil Ship to Split
By Tracy Withers
October 12, 2011



data

Crew Abandon Stricken Ship Off New Zealand as Spill Worsens
The Liberian cargo ship, Rena, is foundering 13.5 nautical miles off the coast of Tauranga, New Zealand.



New Zealand officials are bracing for the stranded container ship leaking oil off the nation’s northeast coast to break up, worsening the country’s biggest maritime environmental disaster.

“That is what we have to plan for,” Prime Minister John Key told Radio New Zealand today. From the early days of the disaster, officials have been modeling “about if the ship broke up, how it might break up and where those potential stress fractures are likely to emerge,” he said.

Cracks appeared in the hull of the stricken Rena yesterday, eight days after it ran aground in the Bay of Plenty near Tauranga, 100 miles (160 kilometers) southeast of Auckland, carrying 1,700 metric tons of fuel oil and 1,368 containers.

Salvagers mobilized three tugs to stabilize the stern of the ship, which is in danger of breaking away, Maritime New Zealand said in a statement late yesterday. The tugs will either hold the stern on a reef while oil is removed, or pull it to shallow waters so that the oil can be extracted there, it said.

The vessel has likely spilled as much as 350 tons of oil, which is washing up on beaches, and as many as 70 containers are now in the water, with some contents also reaching the shoreline.

Access to beaches from Mount Maunganui stretching east to Maketu Point has been restricted to those who are part of the oil-spill response, Maritime New Zealand said today.

The public should advise authorities if containers wash ashore and leave them alone as they may contain hazardous substances, New Zealand Police said in a statement.

Loose Containers
Six vessels have also been deployed to catch debris floating in the water, the agency said. The cargo on the 32- year-old, Liberian-flagged Rena includes four containers of ferrosilicon, a solid substance that can be hazardous when in contact with water and can emit hydrogen, according to Maritime New Zealand.

Port of Tauranga Ltd. (POT), the nation’s largest export port, remains open and staff are monitoring containers and debris in the water, according to a statement on the company’s website. Approaching and departing vessels are advised to keep their own lookout and are being given new routes through the exclusion zone around the stricken ship.

Port of Tauranga shares rose 1 cent to NZ$9.25 at 12:15 p.m. in Wellington, paring their decline since Oct. 5 to 5.6 percent.

Master Charged
The ship’s master and the second officer in charge of the navigational watch have both been charged under the Maritime Act for operating a vessel in a manner causing unnecessary danger or risk, the maritime agency said in a statement.

The master appeared in court yesterday and surrendered his passport. The second officer appeared today, the agency said. The charge carries a maximum penalty of NZ$10,000 ($7,900) or 12 months’ imprisonment, it said.

“Whoever is responsible for this has to be held to account,” Key told reporters at a televised news conference yesterday. “The responsibilities of those on the ship were to navigate a reef that is well documented. We’re entitled to have answers about why that happened.”

New Zealand officials are seeking to determine how the vessel settled on the Astrolabe Reef after interviewing crew on duty during the accident and seizing recording and navigation equipment, according to a statement on the Transport Accident Investigation Commission’s website. The inquiry’s final analysis may not be ready until the middle of 2012, the statement said.

Counting the Cost
The cost of the disaster may exceed the maximum under the shipowner’s insurance, Key said today. The government will pick up any extra costs and will explore legal options to get more compensation, he said.

New Zealand’s MetService forecasts less wind for the Bay of Plenty coastal region today, with sea conditions changing to moderate from rough, visibility improving and showers clearing.

Personnel were evacuated from the ship on Oct. 11 as it shifted in waves reaching 4 meters, while attempts to pump fuel oil onto a barge were halted on Oct. 10.

About 50 metric tons of waste has been cleared from 17 kilometers of beach, Maritime New Zealand said.

“Our focus is on recovering oil wherever we find it and we will go in day by day until this is over,” scene commander Nick Quinn said in a statement. “There is a massive effort under way and it is only going to grow. It’s hard, dirty work.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...reef-stricken-container-ship-to-break-up.html
 


You're forgiven; you're a "mustang."

;)



Hmmmmm. Not sure whether I've been complimented or insulted.:rolleyes:

You see, I'm not a Mustang, I'm a Chief.

The mustang200 refers to my practically perfect '65 Mustang coup with a 200 CID inline 6. :D
 



Classic media hype. It isn't an "oil ship" ( whatever the hell that's supposed to mean ); it's a container vessel.





The BBC has not said it was an oil ship. They reported, from day one, that it was a cargo container vessel leaking it's own fuel oil. They've also reported that some 70 or so c-boxes have gone over the side, but none of those are reported to contain any hazardous materials.

It's not the Exxon Valdiz, but for the Kiwi's and the folks living about the Bay of Plenty, it's a pretty big deal.
 
Back
Top