Would be a knight

rbo214

Really Really Experienced
*This Story is set in a far away land, of monsters and magic
There are several different races, (Humans, Orcs, Elves and more)
and is set on a large island.

*Our story begins in the palace, where the old king has just died (he was murdered by his brother for control of the land) There is a short time of morning before the new king can take the throne. Now we meet young Treborin half human, half Dark Elf. A squire, who has been training to be a knight, like his father before him. His father was killed on a monster hunt, and because, Treborin unique heritage, his fathers wealth and status was returned to the state.
His mother wants nothing to do with Treborin, as his human side would make him an outcast in her peoples eyes.

*The temporary ruler of the land, has ordered knights and soldiers to be ready to leave the palace at dawn. Treborin decides he will be going to, despite being told to stay behind.

* The culture is rich in history, males and females are almost equal in this society. as both serve in the army and can become knights. Only in the church do men still dominate.

*We start now with young Treborin getting ready to depart.

"I am going, and that is that Mela," Treborin stated, as he put his boots on.

"You were told you cant go! Why can't you just stay out of trouble, and do what you are told Tre."

"I don't go out looking for trouble, it just finds me. My curse."

"Your not cursed. your just an idiot." Mela replied with a smirk. "You stick you neck out, volunteer for all assignments."

"I volunteer because they never pick me to do anything. How else am I to become a knight." Treborin replied sounding a little angry.

"Maybe your not meant to be a knight." Mela suggested.

Treborin didn't reply, he went to the hay bales he used as a hiding place and grabbed his bag and his fathers sword. This was the only thing which he had been able to keep of his dads. everything else had been returned to the kingdom. "A half bread like you cant be a knight" an instructor had said, "So you have no use for any of your dads equipment. Your lucky you are a squire. I wouldn't employ you as a stable hand."

He opened his bag to check everything else was there. five copper coins was the all the money he had, a small knife and a large round disk with a hole in the middle and a few Elf symbols. This was the only item which connected him to his mother. Some one and once said it was cursed, or had a charm on it. it was supposed to protect him and give him good fortune, but it hadn't.

Treborin passed it to Mela, "You can look after that, till I get back." He said.

Mela took it and smiled. she untied a ribbon from her hair and slotted it through the hole, making it a necklace. "Don't be stupid Tre." she said as she placed it over his head. "It belongs to you and I know it means a lot to you. Besides, I believe in the curse so I wont be looking after it."

Treborin smiled and Mela, they had known her along time. She kissed him on the cheek, before she said "GO!" He turned and left smiling, Knowing that he was on his way to a grand adventure, if he could get out of the palace grounds and meet up with the army just after dawn.

Last edited:
Donella

Donella known to her few friends as Ella was a scion to the Aldmer, but that was many centuries ago. Still that fact was to haunt her. Her father had planned to marry her off to one of his powerful friends. An alliance that would be beneficial to both families. Ella didn't want to marry and therefore argued endlessly against it. Her arguments were to no avail, which in the end caused her to run. It had been a last minute strategy, so she pretty much had only the clothes on her back along with her bow and quiver of arrows.

Ella had been on the road for a week now, and really needed to find somewhere she could blend in with the local population. She barely had been able to keep from getting caught by those that tracked her. She knew her father would not call off his hunters until they had looked in every corner of the island. By now she was good and tired but perked up as she drew near the palace of the king hoping to find a hot meal and soft bed for the night.

Once she was in the town that surrounded the palace she noticed there seemed to be a lot of unrest among the people. Hiding her quiver and bow under her cape she drifted over to a small group of humans. Being careful not to be obvious, she was able to overhear what had taken place just days before. On learning the King had died under mysterious conditions and his brother was to become the new king, Ella continued to walk as she mulled this news over in her mind.

She had been trained in the art of fighting since a young girl, smiling to herself, she realized that this was just the opportunity that she had been seeking. She decided to join the army. Tapping one of the older men, she asked;

“Sir....where do I go to enlist in the King's army?”

The rest of the men had paused while the man pointed towards a stone building next to the palace wall. She nodded her head in thanks before quickly walking in that direction.

Attachments

• Donella.jpg
    Donella.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Treborin

Attachments

• treborin night.jpg
    treborin night.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
Slowly a lone rider made his way I to the city, the human man looked like a grizzled veteran, one eye missing, a scar running across his throat, but even without the scars the hard, cold look in his remaining icy blue eye was enough to tell it by. He wore simple clothes but obviously had some money as evidenced by his healthy war horse, the immaculate sword strapped to his side, and the shield strapped on his back. The face of the shield looked like it once had some kind of heraldry on it but it had long since been carved away.

His eye roamed over the crowd as his horse slowly plodded along, the large, heavily wrapped gear on its rear shifting with every jostling step. One gloved hand went up to run through short black hair the other hand, ungloved, making sure the peace bindings on his blade were secure. He leans slightly over the side of his horse as he asks one guard, in a hoarse voice, "know where a man can get some work?"

Treborin, walked through the busy streets, thinking about the adventure he was heading towards.

The kings death had caused a lot of unrest. He had been a good king, caring for his people, and the city had prospered. His guards no longer patrolled the streets. Treborin had had more than a few run ins with the guards, but now they were missing He couldn't help but think something was very wrong.

He kept his hand close to the sword, he couldn't shake the feeling he was being watched.

He came to the army recruitment building. He had tried to sign up many times, but had always been turned away. There was a group of men standing in the corner. Treborin hadn't seen them before, and didn't like the look of them. A pretty young woman entered the caught yard.

*thank you for joining the story*

Last edited:
After being directed to the recruitment station the human merc made his way there. Outside he dismounted and hitched his warhorse up to a post, adjusted his swordbelt, and headed inside. He took a few moments to watch the crowd of people gathered inside again before trying to pin point someone who looked official that might be able to sign him up. Hopefully it wouldn't be overly difficult for him to find work here, combat and soldiering were what he knew and he knew it well.

As Ella made her way over to the stone building, she noted two others headed in the same direction.
The first one looked like he had seen a lot of action. He was older, scared and looked like he would take no guff from anyone. His steed looked of excellent breeding and well cared for as was his weapons, she thought to herself, "He may be someone to befriend or someone to stay the hell far away from. We will see."

She watched as he leaned down and spoke a few words to one of the quards. Then from the corner of her eye she noticed another man. He was much younger, actually from his clothing, she could see he was a squire. She drew her eyebrows together, "There is something different about him....I can feel it radiating from his body." He then turned to an angle where she could see his face and chest.

Her eyes widened, "He is part elf...and I suppose human. How odd, wait that medallion he is wearing, I believe it is a symbol of the dark elves. Damn, that's all I need right now, a dark elf to contend with."

Ella decided to wait til the two men were done with their business before enlisting. She looked down at her outfit, hoping that it was up to standard for this army. It was the usual brown leather pants and vest, which really didn't hide much of her tattoos. She didn't care, they usually had the affect of keeping folks at a distance. Which was a good thing.

Suddenly a small group of dirty thug-like men, came towards her, pointing and laughing. The biggest uglyest one started to laugh shouting,

"Hey look what we have here boys, a elf girl all by herself. She looks so very lonely....are you lonely little elf girl? I have something I know you will like."

He moved closer as Ella backed up getting ready to fight.

Treborin watch what was happening, Did he get involved?
He knew what it was like to be different.

"Hay!" he shouted, and some of the men stopped and turned.

Treborin drew his father's sword. tying to look threatening. The men paused for a moment before laughing again.

"What you going to do with that?" one of them asked.

"Think the Halfling wants to give us his sword." another one said.

Treborin took a stance, he had seen. unknown to anyone, except Mela, he had been practising. Still, for his first fight, he had been hoping for a one on one not him and a woman against five large men. He had dreamed of this of course. Saving a beautiful woman from a gang of ruffians, and in his dreams it had turned into a night of passion, but now in the real world, that seamed less likely.

One of the men had a club, he ran a Treborin, and took a swing. Treborin, blocked the swing with his sword, but didn't look especial skilful. He took a swing back, but the man blocked the swing easily and punched him in the gut.

Treborin staggered back, all of the air had left his body, but he stood there defiantly still holding his sword.

The mercenary turned to watch the fight now, one hand quickly unclasping the peace bindings of his longsword and drawing it in one smooth motion. The blade shone brightly in the sunlight and the runes inscribed in platinum inlay along its fine length glittered like bits of fire. He took a few steps forward then adopted a wide legged stance just behind the half-elf. Rather than pull his shield down from his back he grasped his weapon in both hands.

"Looks as though you could use a bit of help." He spoke quietly to Treborin. To the other men he called out, "I offer you this one chance, and only this one chance, yield or face the consequences."

As the men closed in on her, Ella's hand inched towards the hidden knife she had at her back. Suddenly she heard a shout,

"Hay"

Ella gave a quick glance in the direction of the shout, before bringing her eyes back to the nasty looking leader.

All the men looked towards the young man who now had a sword in his hand making ready to take them all on. Ella couldn't help but smile for a second, suddenly one man launched an attack with his club.

With this distraction, she swiftly drew an arrow then watched as the older soldier she had seen a few minutes ago pull out his longsword and step behind the half elf, quietly saying something she couldn't make out. When he was done he then in a much louder voice called out,

"I offer you this one chance, and only this one chance, yield or face the consequences."

Keeping her arrow notched Ella waited, then she saw one of the men secretly draw a wicked looking knife. As he started to throw it, she raised the bow and let it fly. It caught him in the shoulder making him cry out and drop the blade. Before anyone could blink she had another arrow ready and waiting for anymore dirty moves.

It seemed like a standoff at this point. Five, well really four now against three. Ella never took her eyes off the ruffians.

Treborin, looked over and the stranger standing beside him. "I thank ye sir." he gasped, still struggling to breath. The man looked tough, battle scarred, and his sword was a thing of beauty.

One of the ruffians cried out, bringing Treborin's attention back to the problem in front of them. He had been shot in the shoulder. "who did that?" Treborin thought before noticing the woman who he had been trying to save now had a bow and was aiming it at the group men.

The men were no longer laughing, and all were watching the stranger, staring at his long sword. One went to pick up his friend's dagger, but an arrow landed right by his hand, making him back away. He growled to show his annoyance

The Leader of the group slowly started to walk to the side, "Lets go boys, looks like the Elf and the half-breed, are lucky this day." He looked at the stranger, as the other men slowly backed away. "We wont forget this!" he added showing a look of loathing towards the man.

Treborin, breath heavy, now he could breath. He looked at the man who had saved him again. He wished he could of saved the beautiful woman alone, but was glad he was still alive. "Looks like I need more training," he thought to him self.

Thorn watched from atop a rooftop. She did not want to be noticed by anyone yet but wanted to help. "If I kill one just one.... They may not notice.." She thought. She grabbed one of her throwing knives and pondered. Thorn was young and slim and was a Bosmer (Wood Elf) with long straight blond hair. She was trained in agility and sticking to the shadows. And was good in locks and thievery. With no other chances of survival, all she could do was steal to live. She returned from hunting one day to find her family dead in their burnt down house at the age of 14. She had come into town to join the army. And found a commotion when she walked in. Quickly jumping atop a homes roof. As she watched the three strangers she realized the home was blocked up. In windows as well. She noticed a hatch opening behind her, She opened the hatch and crawled in to the dark home. . . She coughed as a wave of dust blew into her face. The home was old with cracks in its stone. As she went down a flight of dusty wooden stairs she stepped on a stair which bent so far down it almost broke and she noticed a hinge "What the he-" as she pried open the stair, a pale male hand, cold as ice grabbed her wrist. Thorn yelp and tried to pull her wrist away before the hand, and with the strength of a god pulled Thorn through the stair. Thorn landed on her back onto what felt like a cold stone floor. She groaned. She sat up and looked on what stood before her a man pale with cold eyes. He smiled and long sharp fangs showed before swinging the butt of something to Thorns head. . . Thorn awoke to sunlight and a concerned guard stared down at her. "Probably just another black out, I always get that dream anyway" she thought. She looked at the guard "What I can't take a nap?" Before he could say anything, she walked to the army recruit building and past the scared man, the elf halfling and young archer woman, and into the building without a word.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
He quickly sheathed his sword and refastened the peace bindings before laying his gloved hand on Tre's shoulder, oddly enough the hand felt much heavier than what it should have. "Training will come with time as you gain more experience, what you have is courage. This is not something you learn but something that either you do or do not have. You'll learn to use your blade in time." The hand was taken from his shoulder now and his other, ungloved hand, offered to shake. "I'm Si..." He catches himself and shakes his head just slightly, "Roderick, I'm Roderick Avondale. Let's go see if yon woman is alright, hm?" This last part said with a gesture towards the tattooed elf.

Thorn screamed at the dirty mirror before covering her own mouth and punching the mirror to pieces. "No...no just a dream it was only a dream.." She thought. She left the room and continued down the stone hallway. The commander was talking to a few guards. Thorn tapped on his shoulder. "I'm looking to join". The commander looked her up and down. "Ha! You think we let anyone in? We just don't let anyone in so they can run out and die, especially little elf girls. Prove your skill" and with those words Thorn flung into action. Thorn attacked the two guards. She flung off the wall and landed straight on ones chest. The guard looked stunned. Thorn pulled out her dagger and stabbed it into his right arm, pinning him their. She rolled off of him behind a guard, who had swung his large sword were she was only a second ago. And held her second dagger to his throat. The gaurd dropped his sword and looked to the appalled commander. Thorn bowed and walked back outside for some fresh air, "maybe it's time to say hi" she thought. Thorn walked to the woman, Hey are you okay? I saw the whole thing" as she spoke she covered the two bites on her neck.

Last edited:
Ella watched intently as the leader gathered his rag tag bunch of thugs and left the area, but not before spewing out his threats to the soldier. Relaxing a little she glanced at the two men that had come to her rescue.

Earlier in the confrontation she had seen from the corner of her eye, movement on the roof of a house. It was just a momentary sighting and she had had other things to think about. Now as she watched the two men interact with each other, the girl from the rooftop walked past the three of them and into the stone recruiting building.

Ella nodded to herself,

"Yup my elf radar is working overtime today. Another elf by the feel of it....and a wood elf at that. Damn just when I want to keep a low profile there are elves everywhere."

Raising one dark eyebrow as the men walked over to her she grinned hands on hips,

"Thanks boys, but I really did have this under control, but again thanks anyways. You saved me from having to clean up after giving them all a good thrashing."

Just then the blond wood elf came back out walking swiftly over stopping in front of Ella she then gruffly inquired,

"Hey are you okay?" I saw the whole thing." As she spoke she covered the two tiny holes in her neck.

Last edited:
Treborin walked over to the others, but was being quiet. He had been hoping that he would of been able to save the woman on his own, but the confrontation had been more than he could of handled. He had been lucky Roderick had been there, not that he wanted to admit it to anyone.

Also when he had first tried to help, he hadn't realised the woman was an elf, even though the ears were a usual giveaway. It wouldn't of stopped him trying to help, but he never trusted elves. Possibly because his mother had never wanted anything to do with him. And this elf was as cocky as all the others he had met. "Thanks boys, but I really did have this under control." Who did she think she was.

The blond elf also seamed a little strange. was she hiding something? or was Treborin's senses, playing tricks on him self again.

Any way Treborin, still had to get out of the city. He couldn't just walk out of the gate, not without a reason, but he knew he could get out through the tunnel under the gate house. Then the plan was to meet up with the army, once they were on there way they couldn't stop him from going with them.

The confrontation had sapped a little of his conference. he had hoped once with the army he would be able to prove he belonged, but now... now he wasn't so sure.

He placed his sword back on his back, and smiled, listening to what was being said.

As Thorn stood there with the rest of the three of them, everything felt different. Ever since the king died this town grew...darker and quieter. Crime
prospered. And villagers disappearing along with guards.... It wasn't right. As she stood listening she looked at the women, her eyes could show her unrest. And the boy almost seemed quiet. she felt a chill up her spine behind her. She drew her daggers and sharply turned around. Someone watched her through the bordered house. The pale man looked into her eyes. He smiled and Thorn flinched. Then her wrist itched. As she looked down at it she saw a braclet that had not been there before. It was small and black chains. She tried to cut it but it wouldn't budge. "What happened in that house?" She thought. As she thought deeply a of the house. She climbed the top of the recruit building and looked on the outside of town. She sat down, as silent tears rolled down her face. Hopeing no one had noticed her slip away. She dried the tears and walked back to the three, not saying a word. She saw in the halfling a eyes as well that something was very wrong here. As they talked the commander yelled "Hey! You guys are here to join the army I'm guessing, so follow me! It's time to prove your worth, we're going to the training arena,follow " and with that he walked inside. Thorn looked at the others unsure. But kept her hand on her dagger just in case. And walked for the door.

Last edited:
"Wasn't you I was concerned about, you look like you can handle yourself fairly well, was him that needed the helping." He said to Ella as he came up to her, to Tre, "No offense, like I said you just need some training and practice. Are you two here looking for work as well?" His good eye glanced between the two of then as he pulled the gloved down a bit tighter on his left hand.

Last edited:
"How bout you teach me something for once commander?" Thorn looked around at the unconscious guards. The commander finally agreed. "Look your in and your skilled, we just need a few more recruits then we can send you out, but we can't allow you to leave without a few more people, there's a lot of dangerous creatures out there, girl. Just wait you'll be fighting in no time" Thorn nodded and walked out of the training arena. "Great. I have to stay in this town even longer, Damnit. I just gotta stay to the shadows then they won't find me." She thought. She walked out back to were the three remained speaking. The night sky was dark and clear. As she approached she looked up to see a dark figure land on her chest. She was able to let out a yelp before being silenced by a gloved hand. Hopeing to get the three others attention. As multiple dark figures stepped out of the shadows.

Ella nodded her head as the older human made with the small talk, before glancing briefly at the halfling. She hadn't come across many in her travels and found herself wondering how he came about. It was forbidden to be with human, any kind of human. everyone knew that. No matter what their station in life was. At the soldier's question,

"Are you two looking for work as well?"

That brought her attention back to the men, nodding her head at the young man she replied,

"I don't know about him, but yes I am looking to join up with this army."

She momentarily wondered about the gloved hand, it was unusual to have one covered and the other not. Just then all three of them heard the commotion coming from the recruitment building. Glancing curiously at each other they turned all as one looking at the door as the little blond wood elf came trotting out. Her expression didn't look too pleased for some reason.

To all three's utter surprise the elf was suddenly being attacked, first by one thing that landed on her chest, then more dark figures stepped out from the shadows. Ella heard herself say as she got her bow ready,

"Heads up boys....here we go again!"

She started forward to help the young elf out of what was beginning to be a serious situation.

This time the shield was expertly unsung from his back and strapped to his left arm before that longsword of his was pulled free again. He made his way quickly but cautiously over to the altercation as he muttered under his breath, "and here I decided not to wear my armor today and enjoy the weather, always the fool." Once within striking distance he didn't even say a word just swung out to strike one of the woman's assailants across the back of the head with the flat of his blade. It took a skilled warrior to fight with a sword and shield but a better one to do so non-lethaly.

Treborin re-drew his fathers sword, he noticed the guards and the ruffians all seamed to have vanished, and it was just him, the two elves and the stranger, who were fighting the things which had come from the shadows. The wood elf seamed in real trouble, but Roderick was beside her quickly taking out one of her assailants

Treborin had never seen such things before, he could feel his heart almost exploding out of his chest. He was backing up. Fear was taking over, "What are they!" he shouted, as he swung his sword, but the shadows seamed to avoid every swing he made.

Something struck him from behind, and Treborin fell to his knees.
Was he going to die here, on the first day he had taken up his fathers sword?

"NO!" Treborin shouted as he jumped up swinging his sword forcing the shadows away from him. he back up till his back was against Donella's. He thrust his sword into a shadow, and it seamed to scream, shrivelling in to nothingness.

A smile crossed Treborins face, as he turned to help the others, a new determination running through his veins.

Thorn looked glanced and saw all three in action. She looked at the distracted figures and kicked it off her, backflipping,she stood with her daggers drawn. She whispered something under her breath. And the figure sank to its knees, screaming. Thorn felt a surge in her bones as she did this. Launching herself to a shadow she bit into its neck with newfound teeth. This continued, as she zoomed around sinking teeth into the shadow. When all layed dead. She looked to the three. Quickly turning around as she heard a loud noise. A man on a roof stood, clapping slowly. "Good job you passed" before he vanished in a thick, black smoke. Realizing what she had done to the shadows. She sank to her knees, forgetting the three there.

Bumping back to back with the half elf boy, Ella used her knife on the nearest shadow, it too screamed and dissolved into thin air. She glanced swiftly at Roderick noting he was having no trouble whatsoever. No more shadows approached her so she looked for the small wood elf.

To her total amazement, she watched as the girl moved with incredible speed and agility. Her eyes widened as the girl went after the shadows biting them, resulting in screams and death. Ella couldn't take her eyes off what was happening. When it was finished slow clapping from one of the rooftops could be heard in the silence.

Glancing up Ella saw a man clapping slowly. "Good job you passed" before he vanished in a thick, black smoke. She couldn't help but wonder, "What in Hades is going on here? Someone needs to do some explaining around here, and I think that someone is that strange wood elf. Her eyes went back to the girl just in time to see her sink to her knees.

Putting her knife behind her back Ella ran to the girl in concern thinking, "One of those things must have hurt her!"

Back