Spelling out the sounds of Orgasms

Green_Knight

Literotica Guru
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Posts
1,076
I know that there have been threads in the past which have discussed how we might write up the act of sex both in terms of the actions involved and the sort of sounds that people make during the act - moans, groans, whimpers, screams, yells, etc. All good stuff. But what about the actual utterances that people make?

Some authors insist on adding sound effects, which largely seem to rely on repeated letters, symbols, etc, such as:
  • “Ohhhhhhh yesssssssss…….cum in me…….. cummminmeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!”
  • “UUGGgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!”
  • “OOHHhhhhhhh, ccchhrrriisssttt!!!!”
  • "Uh, uh, uh, UH!!"
  • "OhhhmmmyyyyyGooodddd!"
  • "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH"
Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I cringe at most of these, especially those of the final form.

However, assuming that we do need to try to reproduce the sounds of orgasm, how should they be reproduced in text. To give you a hand, I heartily recommend this video in the hope that someone will want to try to set down in text the various sounds heard in it. Who'd like to have a try at creating an official Lit dictionary of sex and orgasm sounds?
 
The problem is, I think, that the Reader needs to know that she's experiencing Something Good.
A lover will know because his partner is almost attached to him and he can get the whole impression, but it's not possible to write it down!
 
...
Some authors insist on adding sound effects, which largely seem to rely on repeated letters, symbols, etc, ...

I just about never do anything like that, simply because it seems so lame. I'm fond of using increasingly broken sentences leading up to an orgasm, to indicate the fog and distraction of arousal, but once a character is completely incoherent I'd rather note that and move onto physical description, or just close the scene. Orgasm is just a final product; erotica is about what leads up to it.
 
............
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sploosh.

THE END

:D

I don't use any of those things and I don't like reading them. It's a waste of my time. I skip them and if there's a lot of them then I skip the rest of the story. Instead I describe movements and reactions.

My recent favorite from my stories is, "Claudia closed her eyes and opened her mouth as if to scream, but she could only manage garbled moans and gasps."

Hopefully the reader can tell from that how Claudia is blinded by her climax.
 
Hey, I love writing the sound effects but its hard to be original. Staccato dialog kind of works as well. I far prefer trying to show and getting the reader right into the characters head than telling.
 
Last edited:
.............
 
Last edited by a moderator:
God damn it Werd, not I have to watch it.

Edit: I based my life off this movie. Didn't get me very far. Damn it.

'PC load letter, what the fuck does that mean ... so you want to be a gangsta?'

I hate you werd.

we need to talk about your TPS reports
 
................
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your target audience. There are readers who find written sound effects arousing and explanatory. If you don't want them, don't use them--that probably will help form your target audience. Same thing if you do want/use them. Saying to use them or not isn't universal guidance; it's a matter of choosing target audiences. Making fun of authors doing it another way doesn't make your own writing any better to that author's target audience.
 
Last edited:
Depends on your target audience. There are readers who find written sound effects arousing and explanatory. If you don't want them, don't use them--that probably will help form your target audience. Same thing if you do want/use them. Saying to use them or not isn't universal guidance; it's a matter of choosing target audiences. Making fun of authors doing it another way doesn't make your own writing any better to that author's target audience.

Are you in that group? I'm totally not, but I realize that I'm also not a representative Lit reader.

Are there really people who would distinguish between "AAAAAhhhhhhmmmmmm" and "Gah gah gah gha"?
 
.................
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in that group? I'm totally not, but I realize that I'm also not a representative Lit reader.

Are there really people who would distinguish between "AAAAAhhhhhhmmmmmm" and "Gah gah gah gha"?

The answer I'm going for to that is that it's not any other author's business whether another author was or wasn't in that group and that good authors aren't pinned down to one "group" to begin with. "Do as I do" is anathema in creative writing. And we have a lot of "do as I do" and "this is the way the reader wants it" going on in this forum--and that's counterproductive in the world of creative writing.

I don't use the technique to extreme (either in frequency or elongation of the sounds), but I use it for some target audiences and in some contexts. I try to write with a wide variety and to more than the "universal reader" it seems many in this forum think exists or should exist.

I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what "everyone's" goals of writing are or should be--and should spend more time creating their own unique writing voice and style than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum to get praise and red Hs from what, on the whole, is a pretty basic "show me the sex" audience here.
 
Last edited:
I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what the goals of writing are--and should spend more time creating their unique voice than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum.

Nice thought.
 
...............
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use any of those things and I don't like reading them. It's a waste of my time.

Same with me. It takes me right out of the story. But then again, I doubt if I'm your average reader of erotica, any more than I'm the average writer.

It does get me wondering, though. If the story is translated into another language, do these passages have to be translated, too? What is "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH" in French?
 
Same with me. It takes me right out of the story. But then again, I doubt if I'm your average reader of erotica, any more than I'm the average writer.

It does get me wondering, though. If the story is translated into another language, do these passages have to be translated, too? What is "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH" in French?

Considering the French have their own words for animal sounds that are different from their English counterparts ('grogne grogne' as opposed to 'oink oink', for instance), there probably is some French translation for "NnnnnnnnGgggHHHHH". :)

Personally I'm not a fan of spelling out all the orgasmic sounds because it feels lazy when I do it. If all I do is write a lot of "Uhh...unnf...ooo!" noises, I look back on it and think, "Was this really the best I could do?" The answer to that question is always "no".

I think it's far more effective to let the reader fill in their own details, and focus on more than just the audible part of the climax. If the best you can wring out of your character is an elongated "Oooooooooooooooooooooh--!", then maybe you don't know your character as well as you should. :)
 
The answer I'm going for to that is that it's not any other author's business whether another author was or wasn't in that group and that good authors aren't pinned down to one "group" to begin with. "Do as I do" is anathema in creative writing. And we have a lot of "do as I do" and "this is the way the reader wants it" going on in this forum--and that's counterproductive in the world of creative writing.

I don't use the technique to extreme (either in frequency or elongation of the sounds), but I use it for some target audiences and in some contexts. I try to write with a wide variety and to more than the "universal reader" it seems many in this forum think exists or should exist.

I think folks here need to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what "everyone's" goals of writing are or should be--and should spend more time creating their own unique writing voice and style than either telling others what to write or asking committees how to write pablum to get praise and red Hs from what, on the whole, is a pretty basic "show me the sex" audience here.
It's why I stopped caring so much about what somebody doesn't like to see. I might use all three in one scene.

"Uh! This is....mmmm...your pussy," she exclaimed through preclimax body palipatations.

Her body shaking, breathing heavy as she comes closer and closer, her legs stiffen.

"Oh fu-mmmmph...fuck! Ya really know h- hah hah hah shit yes, I'm...getting...claaahhhhh..."

Shit like that.
 
If I ever get around to writing it, the scene will actually downright require those sounds.
I envision it going something like:

"Her smile vanished, replaced by an intentional focus on the fingertips that kept nudging against the perimeters of her entrance. Where there was once a tickling sensation, now Kelly sensed a more intense itching.

The fingers kept touching her there. She tried to squirm, to keep the rough fingers from tapping against her pussy. His middle finger curved inwardly, stroking atop the lips of her entrance.
"Uh", Kelly's mouth softly emitted.
Frank smiled when he heard the suggestive breath, knowing that her will was starting to break. He continued to work his right fingertips, trapping bits of intimate hair between the digits. A moist warmness slipped underneath them- "


Well. you get the idea. I think it really depends on how you write it. Dang, I'm gonna have to save this now so I can use it later.
 
Last edited:
Which leads into the telling vs. showing discussion. Guess which one is showing?
 
Which leads into the telling vs. showing discussion. Guess which one is showing?

I imagine that trying to write out the garbled noises we make during orgasm could be considered more to the "showing" side. Still, it's meaningless to me, so showing vs telling isn't the question as far as I'm concerned.

I ran across an audio loop once of the sounds that men make during sex. You could probably Google it. Those noises don't actually translate to English particularly well.
 
Fine, and it doesn't mean all that much to me either. But, tragically (Ohhhh, Ahhh), neither you nor I are the only reader or writer on earth nor am I under the delusion that all writers should write to my personal preferences. Maybe that's why I don't bother to start threads here giving my personal preferences in reading.
 
Maybe that's why I don't bother to start threads here giving my personal preferences in reading.

It might be interesting if you did--interesting compared to more of such from JBJ, anyway.
 
Back
Top