Spring, glorious spring!

Spring has been off and on here. Nice warm weather for a few day then it barely breaks 75 degrees.

Today is cool and damp, tomorrow they expect snow in the Sierra's. Some of the ski resorts will be open until the Fourth of July, with more snow coming, maybe they'll stay open until August!
 



120px-SassafrasAutumncloseup.JPG
220px-Country_lane.jpg
220px-The_tree_is_on_fire.jpg




Just when I thought it was absolutely impossible for the autumn colors to get more brilliant, I take a run through the forest and see the luminous red leaves of shining sumac ( Rhus copallina L. ), Eastern burningbush ( Euonymus atropurpureus Jacq. ), flowering dogwood ( Cornus florida L. ) and sourwood ( Oxydendrum arboreum ) vividly contrasted with the nearly fluorescent yellow of the tulip poplars ( Liriodendron tulipfera L. ), the beeches ( Fagus grandifola Ehrh. ) and the sassafras ( Sassafras albidum {Nutt} Nees ).


It's a stupendous display brought on by the combination of radiant sun, blue sky and the season. The crickets are still chirping.



 



The snowdrops were out by the second week of February with the crocuses shortly behind. The daffodils showed up March 7 closely followed by the jonquils. The magnolia and the cherry trees are blooming while the forsythia is about to bust open.


640px-Forsythia_suspensa_4090392_%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A7%E3%82%A6%EF%BC%88%E9%80%A3%E7%BF%B9%EF%BC%89.JPG


 
Last edited:
Gorgeous! It's a beautiful, sunny spring day here, with light breezes. Intoxicating! I took my dog to the dog park for the first time today, and now he's passed out on the couch, lol. I love spring!
 
Damp Spring day in La La Land. A fine mist is falling on the Daffodils, causing the poppies to grow, covering the plum blossoms with a silvery sheen.
Although we need the rain, couldn't it let up one day this week? :(
 
Awww, Jack, the sun will shine again. And in the meantime, I'm sending you some of mine :rose:
 
This weekend the rain returns and snow levels drop to below 4000 feet. March is definitely coming in like a lion. HM and I canceled our trip to Santa Barbara because neither of us wants to go orchid shopping in the rain. Maybe when we get back from Europe . . .
 
broke 60 for the first time today and I saw my first two robins. Spring has sprung!
 


HP, you are not the first with that sentiment:

I am unable to run the quote or its author to ground. Was it Rupert Brooke? I don't think it's Kipling. It is memorable to me since it is the caption on a print that hangs in a relative's house.



Robert Browning

http://www.bartleby.com/246/647.html

And some Daffodils are peeking out, tiny green shoots on bushes, and leaves sprouting on my roses.
A Blackbird has decided against nesting in the little Yew outside my window. A good job, really, for I fear that my going to the car or the garage would have done her no favours.
Pit,y really, I'd loved to have photographed her.
 


Today will be the first real day of spring. It's supposed to be in the
high 50s with a cloudless blue sky. The snowdrops and crocuses are
abundant. This afternoon, I'll take a shot at the inaugural outdoor
run for the year.


220px-Bank_Hall_Snowdrops_Feb_2009.JPG
220px-Crocus_longiflorus5.jpg


We were very spoiled by 2012's early warmth. From notes, I see
that it was in the 60s (~16-ish°C) in February and I ran outdoors
on 22 and 27 February.


 
I have about three inches of snow in yard with a nice layer of ice under it.

But hey, they're saying the 50's for Monday so there's hope
 
We got a good soaking rain Thursday night and patchy clouds at the Orchid Show yesterday. Today the sky is bright, the wisteria is coming into bloom and within another week or so my parkway meadow will be worth taking pictures of. The Irises are in good form, the California poppies are getting into the swing of things. All I need now to post pics is for the wildflowers to bloom and that won't be too far away. It must be time to start taking the flyrod down to the surf.
 
The plum blossoms make the side yard look like a snowstorm hit it, the sun is shining and yet, the Bermuda grass is still dormant.

Ah Spring, all we need now is for the turkeys to bring their broods out on the ball field. Early in the spring, their heads just peek up over the grass.:)
 
I am so jealous of all the people who have flowers popping up everywhere outdoors!:D yesterday we got snow...at least today was clear, and cold, supposed to be the same tomorrow. Monday and tuesday, rain. I really hope it's rain and not more snow.... i want to see the daffodils bloom soon at the cemetary!

Not to be morbid or anything, the place is known for the daffodils, not the dead people...
 


It's Forsythia Day 2013. They're just about ready to bust out.

607px-Forsythia_flower_1r.jpg


The contrast between this year's spring and last year's is stark. The utility bill
showed a 10° difference in average temperature between last year and this year.
People are wondering if there's going to be any spring at all. Are we going to go
straight into summer?




2012- Furnace off March 21

2013- Furnace off April 8
80°

2014- Furnace off April 10

2015- Furnace off April 20

2016- Furnace off April 18
 
Last edited:


It's Forsythia Day 2013. They're just about ready to bust out.

607px-Forsythia_flower_1r.jpg


The contrast between this year's spring and last year's is stark. The utility bill
showed a 10° difference in average temperature between last year and this year.
People are wondering if there's going to be any spring at all. Are we going to go
straight into summer?




I actually just planted two of these in the front yard. Our skies are cloudy and it looks like we may get some rain. Hopefully, they'll both take and we'll have a couple of nice accents in the yard soon.
 
More spring like here now. How is it where you are?

Took a ride through the tri-city area, all the way to the beach, very little snow to be seen. The birds are chirping, and the squirrels are searching for nuts, and foraging for other things that squirrels must eat. Absolutely lovely. The pictures on this thread are very nice too.
 

28 February
Lots of snowdrops

480px-Galanthus_nivalis.jpg




3 March
A brilliant red cardinal silhouetted against a cloudless blue sky.
( the birds know, you can hear them )


Cardinal.jpg




 
We get little spring teases. I think it was close to 60 yesterday, but it's 40 or so today, and with some snow in the forecast for tomorrow. At least there was when I checked. I will say for most of us, spring can't get here too soon.
 
We get little spring teases. I think it was close to 60 yesterday, but it's 40 or so today, and with some snow in the forecast for tomorrow. At least there was when I checked. I will say for most of us, spring can't get here too soon.
100% correct. Enough effing winter already!
 
Still have large swaths and mounds of snow, on bases of ice. Mud is much in evidence. But the geese have started coming up from the south, and there are a few songbirds to be heard.
 
Back
Top