Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #1326
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulover View Post
Excellent - Big Big Train is one of the few acts that seems to get better with every release.
Hey Haulover:

I agree. I think part of the resurgence for them is the shared ownership between all the members. Wherein originally it was largely Andy Poole and Greg Spawton who wrote and produced (and played) most everything, now BBT has a lot of great talent including Nick D'Virglio from Spock's Beard and Tears for Fears, Rikard Sjoblom from Beardfish, and Dave Gregory from XTC. Of course their current singer, Andy Langdon is a huge part of the current feel as well.

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You sir, have a mucky mind" - Dianthus 7/26/10
"Yes, it's official. You are cute!" - slave_ 09/09/10
"Now, you are a cute smart ass" - slave_ 10/21/10
"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #1327
litfan10
owner of slave_

Lights

Styx

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #1328
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_the_Hoosier View Post
'Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?' - Peter Sarstedt, who passed away today.
Oh no - that's a tragedy! I hope 2017 isn't going to be as bad as 2016 in respect of musicians passing away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
Hey Haulover:

I agree. I think part of the resurgence for them is the shared ownership between all the members. Wherein originally it was largely Andy Poole and Greg Spawton who wrote and produced (and played) most everything, now BBT has a lot of great talent including Nick D'Virglio from Spock's Beard and Tears for Fears, Rikard Sjoblom from Beardfish, and Dave Gregory from XTC. Of course their current singer, Andy Langdon is a huge part of the current feel as well.
Completely agree - and I actually know several of the people you've mentioned, as well as other members of their respective (and former) bands.

E.g. Nick - met him several times, and I know Neal Morse (formerly of Nick's former band Beard). Rikard - met him several times, and LOVE Beardfish. And Greg-S, of course, has been the backbone of BBT from the beginning. I've traded a few emails with him, but have not met him - though I was pretty friendly with a former BBT vocalist.

Neil

The stories so far

Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #1329
J_R_Ashunwhy
Literotica Guru

Yes I'm French -- Frenchy and the Punk

Les deux Guitares -- Opa Tsupa

Jazz Manouche -- Opa Tsupa

Last edited by J_R_Ashunwhy : 01-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #1330
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Oh no - that's a tragedy! I hope 2017 isn't going to be as bad as 2016 in respect of musicians passing away...

Completely agree - and I actually know several of the people you've mentioned, as well as other members of their respective (and former) bands.

E.g. Nick - met him several times, and I know Neal Morse (formerly of Nick's former band Beard). Rikard - met him several times, and LOVE Beardfish. And Greg-S, of course, has been the backbone of BBT from the beginning. I've traded a few emails with him, but have not met him - though I was pretty friendly with a former BBT vocalist.
Separated Out
Marillion

Morse is playing near me the end of the month - seriously considering it. Absolutely love the new album.

I've tweeted with Spawton - super nice guy.

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #1331
litfan10
owner of slave_

Transience

Steven Wilson

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #1332
litfan10
owner of slave_

Lazarus

Porcupine Tree

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #1333
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Luciana Zogbi doing covers.... starting with All of Me (John Legend cover)

Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #1334
litfan10
owner of slave_

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Porcupine Tree

Beautiful, beautiful haunting lyrics:

"Did you imagine that the last sound you hear before fading out was a song?"

Hey Chloe! Happy Sunday.

Thanks for that great tunes Litsters. Early day tomorrow so I'm off to bed. Sleep well when you go and peace, love and happiness always.

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #1335
Haulover
Literotica Guru

All excellent stuff:

Quote:
Separated Out
Marillion

Morse is playing near me the end of the month - seriously considering it. Absolutely love the new album.

I've tweeted with Spawton - super nice guy.
I've met Steve Rothery several times, and like to think of Pete Trewavas as a friend.

However - I still need to get F.E.A.R., and the new Neal Morse. Sad to say, I'm way behind on my buying.

Quote:
Transience

Steven Wilson
Quote:
Lazarus

Porcupine Tree
Quote:
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Porcupine Tree

Beautiful, beautiful haunting lyrics:

"Did you imagine that the last sound you hear before fading out was a song?"

Met Steven Wilson several times too - both, in the context of Porcupine Tree and when he was directing Opeth. My favorite album of his (or Porcupine Tree) isn't all that popular with most people I speak to ... "The Incident".

Neil

The stories so far

Last edited by Haulover : 01-08-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #1336
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Song to the Moon; Lucia Popp.
There are few sopranos whose voice seems to float on the air. Hers was one such.
It brings a tear to the eye listening to her.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #1337
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimikimidoll View Post
Which one? Both are originals, I think. Too specific to be covers.
Yeah, I'm way late to pick this up. Sorry. Been off the grid the last 48 hours for various reasons. Not by my choice, obviously.

"No Flex Zone" in it's original (and horrible) incarnation is by Rae Shrmmurd (or however these punks spell temselves). Made several people's "Worst of 2014" lists. The off-time chorus gave it away for me.

https://youtu.be/jQs7MXFoe70 (around 15:40)

Anyway, the Watsky/Karmin version was pretty epic. TBH, I only heard about Karmin from the same dude, he had her "Acapella" song on one of his lists. Going through some of her songs linked after the one you posted, I found some good stuff. Thanks for that.

My Geek Pride Day submission:
-----------------------------------
The Rembrandt Legacy
Convicted engineer with special power gets recruited by alien rogues to pull off a difficult heist.

My stuff on Lit

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #1338
Kimikimidoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Justice View Post
Yeah, I'm way late to pick this up. Sorry. Been off the grid the last 48 hours for various reasons. Not by my choice, obviously.

"No Flex Zone" in it's original (and horrible) incarnation is by Rae Shrmmurd (or however these punks spell temselves). Made several people's "Worst of 2014" lists. The off-time chorus gave it away for me.

https://youtu.be/jQs7MXFoe70 (around 15:40)

Anyway, the Watsky/Karmin version was pretty epic. TBH, I only heard about Karmin from the same dude, he had her "Acapella" song on one of his lists. Going through some of her songs linked after the one you posted, I found some good stuff. Thanks for that.
You're welcome. I noticed you liked the rock recommendations I listed out, so I thought about throwing this your way.
I think I read somewhere that 'No Flex Zone' was a cover but I'd forgotten about it- but other than the chorus (and even that sounds waayyyy different than the original) the lyrics are pretty specific to Watsky and Karmin themselves. It's nice to hear a rap that actually shows off skills instead of an itiniary/inventory mashup (e.g.: 'got 10 Maseratis and banged twenty hoes')

Old 01-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #1339
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

I don't like modern hip-hop like Lil Wayne or Drake (two of the worst, IMHO) First, the lyrics are weak sauce, but the far bigger crime is the lack of power, both in the beats and delivery. Comparing Drake's "Started from the Bottom" to N.W.A.'s "Fuck the Police" is like night and day. For starters, the beats of the latter song want to make you jump up and wreck shit, and the words are like bullets - pow, pow pow, something the current breed of rappers can't get going. Hell, half of the time I can't discern what they are trying to tel me with all the close-lipped slurring.

Oh, inspiration: Now playing the soundtrack to the film "Judgement Night". You know, the one with Slayer & Ice-T, Run DMC & Living Colour and Cypress Hill & Sonic Youth. "Another Body Murdered" by Faith No More & Boo-Ya Tribe is still heavy as fuck.

The Rembrandt Legacy
Convicted engineer with special power gets recruited by alien rogues to pull off a difficult heist.

My stuff on Lit

Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #1340
Haulover
Literotica Guru

÷OoOoOoOoOo - Samen - Very good ... a great new find

Peter Stastedt - Best Of - RIP

Rodriguez - Cold Fact - A blast from my distant past!

Neil

The stories so far

Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #1341
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Free Salamander Exhibit - Undestroyed - This is the latest reincarnation of what was once Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Angry experimental and very avant-garde, genuine "Metal In Opposition". Killer album, but approach with caution - it ain't for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEH7dDp8po

Neil

The stories so far

Old 01-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #1342
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
All excellent stuff:

I've met Steve Rothery several times, and like to think of Pete Trewavas as a friend.

Of all Marillion, Trewavas comes across the nicest though they all seem like decent people - I also am very fond of his work in Edison's Children and Transatlantic.

However - I still need to get F.E.A.R., and the new Neal Morse. Sad to say, I'm way behind on my buying.

I did pledge music for the F.E.A.R. album. Similitude of a Dream is one of the best of last year I feel.

Met Steven Wilson several times too - both, in the context of Porcupine Tree and when he was directing Opeth. My favorite album of his (or Porcupine Tree) isn't all that popular with most people I speak to ... "The Incident".
"The Incident" is a great album though if I had to pick a favorite I think it would be "Deadwing." But I have to admit I adore anything Porcupine Tree or Wilson has released. Burning Shed has got a fair share of my money for the odd bits from Porcupine Tree members together and apart. Very fond of Barbieri and H's work together as well. Music very seriously is my drug of choice and always has been.

product of my mucky mind

Last edited by litfan10 : 01-09-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #1343
litfan10
owner of slave_

Misplaced Childhood

Marillion

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #1344
litfan10
owner of slave_

Jupiter

Blackfield

Very excited for "Blackfield V" next month - loved what Alan Parsons did with Wilson on "The Raven Who Refused to Sing," looking forward to hear what he will do with both Wilson and Geffen on this.

Good night all - sleep well when you go and wake to peace, love and happiness.

product of my mucky mind

Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #1345
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Misplaced Childhood

Marillion
Timeless classic.

Halestorm - ReAnimated 3.0 (EP)

The Rembrandt Legacy

My stuff on Lit

Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #1346
UnderMyKilt
Literotica Guru

I'm listening to the wind outside, and to my dog playing with a squeaky toy.

True stories of my youthful gay follies.

What can I say? After all these years, and a diverse variety of sexual experiences, kinks, and fetishes, I'm still trying to figure out this
"nature vs nurture" thing.

In any event, I yam what I yam and dat's all what I yam .

Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #1347
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Misplaced Childhood

Marillion
Quote:
Timeless classic.
Yep!

Neil

The stories so far

Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 PM   #1348
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

Neil, a question: I got into Genesis with "Foxtrot", is it worthwhile to try and get "From Genesis..." and "Trespass"? Okay, to be honest, my first exposure was "Invisible Touch", but my first self-bought album was "Foxtrot", on the merits of the cover alone. It helped that "Watcher of the Skies" is beyond awesome

The Rembrandt Legacy

My stuff on Lit

Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #1349
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

In the still of the night.
Ted Heath & Edmundo Ross.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #1350
Haulover
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Neil, a question: I got into Genesis with "Foxtrot", is it worthwhile to try and get "From Genesis..." and "Trespass"? Okay, to be honest, my first exposure was "Invisible Touch", but my first self-bought album was "Foxtrot", on the merits of the cover alone. It helped that "Watcher of the Skies" is beyond awesome
Well of course, it's very much a "horses for courses" question, but my personal feeling is that the best way to get into Genesis would be "Selling England By The Pound," then "Nursery Cryme", and then "Foxtrot". I think those are their top 3. They're all available on YouTube, which (along with Bandcamp) has become my standard "try before you buy" medium. Then after those, perhaps try "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".

And with those, along with what you already have, you've covered their best work. I believe that once you've absorbed those 3 albums, you'll quickly see why cynics accuse Fish-era Marillion, as well as Arena (Mick Pointer's Marillion spin-off), and Pendragon, and IQ et al, of being Genesis clones wannabes.

My (somewhat cynical) position is that the later Genesis albums, particularly in the post-Gabriel era, are just good pop and don't have the edge or the creativity that defined the earlier albums.

And BTW - you gotta try this ÷OoOoOoOoOo - Samen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnfz...ature=youtu.be

Neil

The stories so far

Closed Thread